1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Herring Shoes - Experiences?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by the_sartorialist, May 5, 2010.

1. Dembowski

Dembowski Senior member

Herring Redruth by Loake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. rangen930

rangen930 Active Member

Is there a way to determine what additional duties, etc I might have to pay when buying from herring? I live in the states. In earlier posts it seems that I might have to pay $75 or so at delivery. Is there a way on their site to calculate?

3. Thanasi

Thanasi Well-Known Member

The Redruth's are nice. I was going to buy a pair but they are no longer available.

4. Dembowski

Dembowski Senior member

Even if I own many boots I like Redruth

5. ShoePrestige

ShoePrestige Member

Although there is no way to work out possible duty, there is an option on their site to use Royal Mail.

Duty will vary when using couriers but do find that using the postal service avoids custom charges.

6. Dembowski

Dembowski Senior member

Herring Faringdon - really nice single monks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Carl1955

Carl1955 Senior member

8. ShoePrestige

ShoePrestige Member

9. Brenner

Brenner Senior member

is there a difference in quality by the Herring models made by Loake, AS etc. compared to the similar shoe made by Loake, AS etc.?

10. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

No, in the case of Loake anyway, they are the same shoe, just with a Herring brand.
    Same for some of the Cheaney made shoes, although many designs are made exclusively for Herring by Cheaney.
    The AS shoes are all made to a Herring design on a Herring last as far as I know.

11. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Just bought the son a pair of Loake Thompson in the sale, delivered next day. Can't fault these guys !!!:slayer:

12. rangen930

rangen930 Active Member

I made a few calls about duties, etc.

The test case is a pair of Herring Burlington which go for $255.

I am in the Midwest but I don't know if that matters. Basically there is a duty rate of about 10% (in my case about $25). Then there is a carrier fee (if you go through DHL which is what is on the herring site). The carrier fee is 2% of the duty. There is a minimum of $11 carrier fee so I would pay that since 2% would not meet that. Items under $2500 do not pay customs fees. Items under $200 are duty free.

I would pay for the shoes and the shipping at time of purchase. Once the shoes make it to the states I would get an email telling me what extras I owe (should be $36 in this case) and the link to pay the fees, etc online. Once I pay, the shoes start moving again in 24hrs.

This is all from the DHL import person. I don't know if others have different experiences, this is all academic at this point. I obviously have no experience.

13. Dembowski

Dembowski Senior member

14. SimplyStylin

SimplyStylin Senior member

I ordered from Herring last week. 2 pair of shoes, shipped DHL which arrived in 2 business days of the order (1 day to process the order and ship due to the time difference, the day after the package arrived). Amazingly fast!

With a discount they offered me to match pricing on another promotion i saw online for free US shipping, the total price was approx $500.

DHL delivered them with no collection of customs, and I expect to get a bill in the mail any day. Will report back on that when it happens.

15. SimplyStylin

SimplyStylin Senior member

The bill came in today from DHL, 10% Duties = $57.73 ($11 of which was DHL fees).

All in all, very fair price in total for some great shoes. Will order from Herring again, no doubt.

16. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Herring Exmoor.
    Has anyone here got a pair?

[​IMG]

Thinking about a new pair of boots for winter but am wondering how practical these would be with all that tweed so close to the ground.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Might be better off to go for the Langdale, or else the slightly more expensive option, the Coniston.

17. Sudonihm

Sudonihm Senior member

Sorry if I missed it, but has anyone in the states used the Royal Mail? Have you incurred custom charges?

18. SSingh1975

SSingh1975 Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of Burfords and they used RM. Was mailed last Thursday and it's still en-route. I'll update with delivery date/custom charges (if any).

Funny the RM tracking only tracks to when item entered US (which was on Sat morning) and no updates after that. Not sure if RM gets offloaded to USPS or some other 3rd party.

I'm intrigued as this is my first English boots (can't get right fit on Allen Edmonds L :-().

1 person likes this.
  19. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

Yes, RM will be delivered by USPS. I have not yet had to pay duties on items delivered by RM/USPS but I have always paid on items delivered by DHL.

20. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

Just a tip, next time you do, ask them to ship with Royal Mail. You're less likely to get hit with duties and/or customs.