• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Odradek

Reaction score

Just received the Herring Tregony boots, love them instantly and the leather feels great.
I'm not sure if I got the sizing correct.With normal socks and without an insole they feel a bit too big, maybe half a size, or one size max.
With an additional wool insole they fit much better. I want to wear them in winter obviously, but I don't know if I should always count on wearing the insole.
I have a good amount of room in the toe box but my instep is rather low, so there is some are in that area. Would you suggest the hassle of returning them for a smaller size?

I guess it depends where you are located, for shipping.
I'd say return them for a smaller pair.

I have a pair of Herring boots I bought in their sale, and they're a half size large. Hadn't go my size at the time so I figured they'd be okay with thick socks.
Usually wear them in winter and with thick socks and insoles, but still sometimes feel slightly big. Wish Id held out for better size.

So, return them if yo can. Herring are good with returns.

But please take a few good photos and post them here first.
Much better to see these boots in the real world than the photos on Herrings site.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just received the Herring Tregony boots, love them instantly and the leather feels great.
I'm not sure if I got the sizing correct.With normal socks and without an insole they feel a bit too big, maybe half a size, or one size max.
With an additional wool insole they fit much better. I want to wear them in winter obviously, but I don't know if I should always count on wearing the insole.
I have a good amount of room in the toe box but my instep is rather low, so there is some are in that area. Would you suggest the hassle of returning them for a smaller size?

Return them for half a size done.

00Schneider

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. When I wear them with insoles they actually feel very tight at the toe box, half a size down could be critical with that insole. So I'm still undecided but I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Satmoche

Reaction score
Hi gentlemen,

I am struggling to choose between, respectively, Herring Babbacombe, Richmond and Loake Strand :

Does anyone have a piece of advice regarding the best shoe to purchase among these three ?
And, I really like the Herring Luscombe and the Cheaney & Sons Tiverton. I cannot really decide as I do not know about shoes enough. Any opinion on these two pairs ?
Luscombe:

Cheaney & Sons Tiverton:

Sorry for the very long post.

Odradek

Reaction score

Hi gentlemen,

I am struggling to choose between, respectively, Herring Babbacombe, Richmond and Loake Strand :

Does anyone have a piece of advice regarding the best shoe to purchase among these three ?

I was in the same boat back at the start of the year, trying to decide between the Strand and the Herring Richmond in burgundy.
I went with the Strand in the end, telling myself I might get the Richmond some other time. I guess the Richmond would have been more versatile, and worked better with jeans etc, when're the Strand is a bit more formal. I still wear them with jeans sometimes.
The Babbacombe would be seen as more formal again, being a plain captor.

The Strand and the Richmond are made by Loake, but I'm not sure who's making the new Combe last shoes for Herring. They claim that they're made in the UK though.

Satmoche

Reaction score
I was in the same boat back at the start of the year, trying to decide between the Strand and the Herring Richmond in burgundy.
I went with the Strand in the end, telling myself I might get the Richmond some other time. I guess the Richmond would have been more versatile, and worked better with jeans etc, when're the Strand is a bit more formal. I still wear them with jeans sometimes.
The Babbacombe would be seen as more formal again, being a plain captor.

The Strand and the Richmond are made by Loake, but I'm not sure who's making the new Combe last shoes for Herring. They claim that they're made in the UK though.

I will probably get the Strand and the Babbacombe then, thank you very much.
As for the monk shoes, I will get the Herring.

Odradek

Reaction score
Photos of the new Herring Southwood shoe being made at the Cheaney factory.

I guess this is why the Bodmin was discontinued.

Last edited:

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who has the Wilson chelsea boots and can comment on fit? Herring says they are standard fitting but Cheaney's website says the 11028 last is slightly on the generous side. Pictures also if you can, looking at the dark leaf colour and then the black.

Odradek

Reaction score

Who has the Wilson chelsea boots and can comment on fit? Herring says they are standard fitting but Cheaney's website says the 11028 last is slightly on the generous side. Pictures also if you can, looking at the dark leaf colour and then the black.

Head over to AAAC, and ask Shaver about his Wilson boots.

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Head over to AAAC, and ask Shaver about his Wilson boots.

Forgot I made a throwaway account to see the pictures he had up of them; gorgeous boots indeed! But he made no mention of the fit, I'll do more research in the meantime.

EDIT: Fit experiences of the 11028 last in general will help too.

Last edited:

OzWino

Reaction score
EDIT: Fit experiences of the 11028 last in general will help too.

Ive got some Herring Fencote shoes made by Cheaney on the 11028 last, and indeed find them a bees-ball more roomy. But they suit my high arches. I cant comment on boots though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads