• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help deciding on a watch

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Graciously being treated to my first 'nice' watch as a gift. Would appreciate suggestions, and comments on what I've seen so far.

Criteria:

- Under 4k.
- Will definitely consider used
- Would prefer a brand/model with some nice history to it.
- White/silver dial
- Bracelet, since it will be for everyday use with a variety of clothing- but would consider strap on the right watch
- MUST fit well under typical long sleeves, i.e. none of these massive Breitling-esque clones.
- 40-42mm tops, under 16mm or so for depth
- Don't care too much about having complicated movements... chrono at most.
- Magnetic protection if possible (I do a lot of PC work)

My main criteria, since this will be the only watch I wear, is that it be versatile, reasonably dressed up and down, and not too large or heavy. So far I really like

IWC Portugese Chrono
IWC Spitfire Chrono
Baume & Mercier Classima Executive
Jaeger LeCoultre Master HomeTime

All these, new, are beyond what I want to spend. Open to suggestions.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Negotiate really hard with theyare and buy his 3714
teacha.gif

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
Graciously being treated to my first 'nice' watch as a gift. Would appreciate suggestions, and comments on what I've seen so far.

Criteria:

- Under 4k.
- Will definitely consider used
- Would prefer a brand/model with some nice history to it.
- White/silver dial
- Bracelet, since it will be for everyday use with a variety of clothing- but would consider strap on the right watch
- MUST fit well under typical long sleeves, i.e. none of these massive Breitling-esque clones.
- 40-42mm tops, under 16mm or so for depth
- Don't care too much about having complicated movements... chrono at most.
- Magnetic protection if possible (I do a lot of PC work)

My main criteria, since this will be the only watch I wear, is that it be versatile, reasonably dressed up and down, and not too large or heavy. So far I really like

IWC Portugese Chrono
IWC Spitfire Chrono
Baume & Mercier Classima Executive
Jaeger LeCoultre Master HomeTime

All these, new, are beyond what I want to spend. Open to suggestions.

Why not the IWC Spitfire non-chrono? After discount that can easily be had brand new from an AD within your price range. Otherwise, I'd also suggest the Omega Aqua Terra. it's a really nice watch and would suit your needs well (though not anti-magnetic). This, too, can be had brand new from an AD within your range.

If you're looking at pre-owned, consider an IWC Mk XV. It's similar to the non-Spitfire XVI but 1mm smaller and with a different dial. It also used to be available in a white dial, which you may be able to find (was less common than the black). I seem to recall some previous versions of the IWC Ingenieur being available with light dials, but am not 100% sure besides the mid-size (which I don't believe has the full-sized version's anti-magnetic properties).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads