• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me pick first nice watch - IWC vs JLC

Lowndes

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase my first nice watch and have narrowed it down to two choices (A) the IWC Portuguese Chronograph with blue hands or (B) the Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Hometime. I would put whatever I choose on a brown leather strap. Below are links to the watches.

http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/portuguese/IW3714/

http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/US/en/watches/master-hometime/1628430

I'm a 30 year old attorney and I am buying this watch mainly to be worn with suits, etc. at work. However, it would be nice to also be able to wear the watch in more casual settings as well. Based on that criteria and if anybody has owned one or both of these what would be your recommendation?

Thanks!

Edit: just saw one more watch that looks appealing but haven't seen it in person yet . It's the JLC Master Chronograph

http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/US/en/watches/master-chronograph/1538420#55click=version

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own neither. If, however, I was in the market for a JLC, I'd opt for a Reverso. It's what JLC is know for and it is instantly recognizable. Similarly for the IWC Portuguese: it is (to me, anyway) the canonical IWC watch. It's what comes to mind when I think of IWC.

So, my choice would be the IWC. Of your two choices, I think the IWC is slightly more elegant, slightly more stylish. But, honestly, you've made two great choices and either one will put you in rarified company among watch aficionados.

redips

Reaction score
You've got great taste.

All the watches are beautiful, but of the three, the Portuguese Chrono would be my choice.

Have you considered the Portuguese Automatic? It has an austerity that I really dig.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as you've done your research and complications (functions) are not a concern, history of the different brands, or the particular history of the watch is also not a concern then you should be good at making a decision based on what one appeals to you most. But have you done any research to see if there is any significance that either watch holds as it pertains to the brand? Aesthetics are one thing, built history also matters to some when it comes to luxury watches. I'd strongly recommend conducting research to see which one tends to retain it's value more just in case later you have second thoughts. Best to know up front anyways. Your spending a bit so take your time and check it out. Your always going to find those who will recommend one watch over another, but that's they're opinion. What counts most is which one do you like the most as you will tend to hang on to that one longer.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Thanks everybody. I took a look at the Reverso and while a gorgeous watch it isn't what I am going for. I have researched the companies a lot and while I like the looks of the IWC the best I like the company and movement of the JLC more. I'll probably just study more and wait a week and go back and try them on again and just get the one I love the most that way. Thought it would be an easier choice than this!

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody. I took a look at the Reverso and while a gorgeous watch it isn't what I am going for. I have researched the companies a lot and while I like the looks of the IWC the best I like the company and movement of the JLC more. I'll probably just study more and wait a week and go back and try them on again and just get the one I love the most that way. Thought it would be an easier choice than this!
Take your time, there's no rush. After all this is something that should last and be with you for a very very long time.

Last edited:

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a chrono get the IWC. If you just want a simple dress watch, get a Reverso. Better yet, get both.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads