• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Justin, a buddy of mine bought one of those and is going to do pretty much what you say you want to do. They're cheap enough and certainly a good platform.

An AR10 showed up at the store. Now I'm doing more mulling. I'm pretty sure I want to do something with the Lapua round so I'll probably pass on it. It's been a long time since I've done mile shots and i want to see if i can still do it reasonably well. Need to refresh myself with some math equations and things like that.....

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Justin, a buddy of mine bought one of those and is going to do pretty much what you say you want to do. They're cheap enough and certainly a good platform..

Thanks. I just 'pulled the trigger', if you'll forgive the metaphor, on a nicely holster-worn Israeli contract FN HP.

I'll do some before and after pics and will probably have some questions for GT in the next few days, too!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks. I just 'pulled the trigger', if you'll forgive the metaphor, on a nicely holster-worn Israeli contract FN HP.
I'll do some before and after pics and will probably have some questions for GT in the next few days, too!

I'll see what I can do. that is what we used for training, back 25 plus years ago.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'll see what I can do. that is what we used for training, back 25 plus years ago.

Cheers!

From what I can make-out without seeing it, I think this pistol is from a border security unit or police and not regular IDF. The yellow tape on the barrel is supposedly to help identify plainclothes 'friendlies' in a firefight.

There were some for sale that were Nazi occupation models (possibly once carried by Waffen SS?) and others with the Syrian coat of arms as well as Israeli stampings, but I opted for a 1985 production model.

I shot a few worn-out FN HPs in the ADF, 20-odd years ago. I'm hoping this will be a fun range shooter that is also nicely 'historical' - I'm going to have a go at parkerizing it at home. Should be a fun little project for the next few months.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm unsure if this is the right thread for this, or if it's already been covered elsewhere (feel free to redirect me) but do you gentlemen have any suggestions for carrying concealed without having to look like a bag of ass. It seems the majority of concealed carry options are aimed more at the WearingATentForAPoloShirt type of shooter who's gonna have no trouble at all keeping his weapon concealed. I wear a jacket of some sort pretty much any time the weather allows so a hip holster works just fine for me then, but during the hotter months, I'm kind of at a loss for what kind of holster to way that doesn't force me to have my shirt untucked. I just recently got my Concealed Carry Permit (VA) and I'm looking to carry my GLOCK 27 with me without looking like a total rube. Advice?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Cheers!
From what I can make-out without seeing it, I think this pistol is from a border security unit or police and not regular IDF. The yellow tape on the barrel is supposedly to help identify plainclothes 'friendlies' in a firefight.
There were some for sale that were Nazi occupation models (possibly once carried by Waffen SS?) and others with the Syrian coat of arms as well as Israeli stampings, but I opted for a 1985 production model.
I shot a few worn-out FN HPs in the ADF, 20-odd years ago. I'm hoping this will be a fun range shooter that is also nicely 'historical' - I'm going to have a go at parkerizing it at home. Should be a fun little project for the next few months.

cool - yeah, handguns were not common in the IDF, although that changed for a while where there were undercover units working in the territories, but officers didn't carry handguns, only MPs and anti-terror units. we did the anti-terror school, which used those, and then when my unit was on call, a few times a month as a swat team, we would sign out a gun like that and then return it.

funny - we refered to them as "brownings" not FNs, I am not sure if that was to differentiate from FN rifles that were sort of old men guns, the rifles used by the generation before me.

I remember a yellow stripe, but in my memory it is smaller, but that might have been something that changed over time or with units.

another funny thing - I always think of the 1911 as an obsolete weapon, but the FN HP isn't that much younger.

anyway, have fun

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm unsure if this is the right thread for this, or if it's already been covered elsewhere (feel free to redirect me) but do you gentlemen have any suggestions for carrying concealed without having to look like a bag of ass. It seems the majority of concealed carry options are aimed more at the WearingATentForAPoloShirt type of shooter who's gonna have no trouble at all keeping his weapon concealed. I wear a jacket of some sort pretty much any time the weather allows so a hip holster works just fine for me then, but during the hotter months, I'm kind of at a loss for what kind of holster to way that doesn't force me to have my shirt untucked. I just recently got my Concealed Carry Permit (VA) and I'm looking to carry my GLOCK 27 with me without looking like a total rube. Advice?

Carrying concealed in the hot months can be difficult to say the least. A deep concealment holster, like what was mentioned above, may work but you need to consider how long it would take you to bring the gun into action. If you're fumbling around for 5 seconds drawing it you're in a heap of trouble in a real world situation. The real solution to your problem is to get a much smaller reliable handgun in 32ACP, 380ACP or 9X19. This class of handgun is typically lightweight and are easily concealed in a front or back pocket holster. I prefer back pocket carry because it adds an element called weasel craft. From the rear the bulge looks like a wallet. When confronted in a typical strong arm robbery when you reach into your back pocket it looks like you are complying. Complying with a BG usually brings their guard down which shifts the tactical advantage more to your side. It also buys you time to properly grip your gun for the draw/fire stroke. You're just reaching for your wallet right? Once you have a good grip on the gun bringing it into play takes a split second. With practice you can fire 2 well placed shots before the BG has time to react to the ruse. On a good day, with my hand in my pocket, I can draw and fire 2 shots high in the chest on 3 targets at 10 yards in less than 1.8 seconds. The first shot is typically taken somewhere around .4 to .5 seconds after the buzzer.

Oh and don't let anyone tell you that a 32, 380 or 9mm is an ineffective rSD round. I have done enough of my own testing/research and the fact is with the proper ammunition they are more than adequate in terms of penetration and performance. Most of what you read on the net about how lousy these calibers are is regurgitated **** spread by armchair gurus or just plain old idiots.

i10casual

Reaction score
It's very hard to conceal in 100 degree weather, isn't it?
I go for a smaller firearm. Right now I carry a Sig 232 (.380) in an ankle holster or in my four position holster outside my belt. I also just bought a Ruger LCR revolver. This thing is super light but can still hold a 38 special +p. I wear this outside my belt with my 4 position holster in an fbi cant. I switched to linen shirts for my work shirts during the summer, un-tucked. It's 105 out and I manage a factory so it works out fine looking like a jimmy margareta reject,. :)

Ankle holsters kinda suck but its a good way to go unless you have well fitting pant legs. I suggest if you looking good on the daily with clothing that actually fit then buy a little .380 pocket gun like the LCP and a nice pocket holster.

Last edited:

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If untucked shirts is an option, then inside the waistband carry will definitely work, though I agree that a pocket .380 is also a good thing to have as well.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming that most CCW holders carry only one gun an ankle holster would be a very poor choice as a carry option. It's almost as bad as not having a gun at all. Think about for a while and it's easy to understand why.

Ankle holsters are typically used for backup guns or deep concealment. Think law enforcement and undercover agents.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^
Agreed, though ankle holsters are pretty good when seated (at a desk or driving).

Cross draw is quicker and less conspicuous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics