1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. 3wgg

3wgg Member

The PPK has such an awesome look to it...so classic. I've just been seeing too much negative feedback lately and have been hesitant to pick a new one up.

2. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Javyn, there's some good ammo for the 380. For a hollow point look at Corbon stuff. If you want something that really penetrates there's nothing that comes close to what the Buffalo Bore 100 gr hardcast can do. 31 inches of gel and it keeps right on going. It's what I carry in a 380. I want ample penetration from any reasonable angle and this stuff will do it.

3. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

31 inches? Aren't you concerned about over-penetration?

4. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

1 person likes this.
  5. javyn

javyn Senior member

Cool thanks. I'm rocking some Gold Dot 90gr JHP in there now. I'll definitely check out the Buffalo Bore.

Typically a huge concern for me, but with a 380 I just wouldn't worry about it. Am I wrong for that?

Also, getting a little tired of people ragging on 380 ACP. I ask the same question every time someone tells me they are underpowered and not good for personal defense..."Do you volunteer to get shot with one?".

I want a CCW for personal defense...I'm not trying to assassinate the Dallas Cowboys or go to war with an army of bath salt lunatics or anything. (I have a nice selection of nasty, poly cudgels from Cold Steel in case of zombie apoc)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  6. suited

suited Senior member

In all likelihood I'm going to swap out my P380 for a PM9, not because of the firepower, but because ammo is too fucking expensive. I have plenty of 9mm. 380, not so much.

7. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

No. My first and foremost concern is making sure I have a slug that can adequately penetrate from off angles, through thick clothing and bone and still get where it needs to go. The real world doesn't consist of perfect straight on shots. On the supposed sub calibers the problem is and always will be penetration. In any case the same rule applies no matter what ammo you use. Know what is beyond your target and do what you need to do so a bystander doesn't get hit. That might mean moving left or right or kneeling before you pull the trigger. It might also mean NOT firing even though you are at extreme risk.

8. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Bingo.

Also most conventional JHPs in 380 won't expand anyway.

9. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Not that it helps anyone anywhere else, but I went ammo shopping today and there was plenty of it. Reasonably priced too. One store literally had pallets of it sitting out. There was so much .45 ACP ammo available that I decided not to buy any. Lots of .40 too. I picked up a bunch of 12ga Rem Gun Club target loads for $5.99/box.

In regard to .380s, this is what I've always wanted.

[​IMG]

10. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

Just found and bought a COLT 1911 RAIL GUN all black .45 ACP !!! :nodding:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  11. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Beretta 84FS Inox? Nice gun.

12. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I went into my LGS fully intending on purchasing a 92FS inox this summer, but ended up finding that the grip seemed wide and uncomfortable in my hands. Ended up with the M&P9, which seemed to have a very heavy trigger compared to my (Ruger) SR9c that is my carry weapon. Had a lot of FTEs with it before I realized it was simply a heavier trigger than I was used to... A heavier squeeze fixed all of my problems immediately, but I think I'm going to get a trigger job for it at some point.

13. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

[​IMG]
    I've got the 90-two and like the grips just fine. (Updated version of the 92 with 17 less moving parts.) Solid piece IMO. Trigger isn't the best, but isn't the worst.

14. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I have the Inox 92FS with a steel guide rod instead of the plastic thing they stick in them these days. I'll eventually send it out to Tooltech for tritium sights. That reminds me, I need to get the D spring and install it. It's a carry gun so I don't want to do too much to it.

15. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Nope. Shipping is free and tax only applies to KY residents. Shows as in stock for me.

16. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

I'd get the Apex DCAEK kit and see which combination of Apex and stock springs suits you. My M&P 40 is currently set up with a slightly heavier trigger than my stock M&P 9, but I added the Apex AEK trigger which reduces takeup and overtravel. I like my 40 better than the 9 because the Apex parts give me a crisper trigger with less takeup, even though it is heavier.

17. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

18. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

19. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

I am seriously thinking about buying a bolt action .50 cal bmg. Now, Gods knows I don't need it but I want one so bad. :embar:

I am thinking Serbu single shot. Supposedly accuracy is great out of the box, apparently recoil is manageable with their muzzle break and is a relatively light gun. Any other options.
    Thoughts.

20. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Thoughts? Yeah I have a few. If you don't have a 2000 meter range and plan on shooting it no closer than a 1000 meters you're wasting your money. Shooting a 50 under 1000 meters is well dumb. You better have deep pockets too. Feeding a 50 gets expensive after a while. I wouldn't get too hung up on "accuracy" either. Any of these kinds of rifles will out outperform you. Get a good ballistic calculator while you're at it. You have a whole lot of variables to contend with that are foreign to most shooters.