• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

it's a PPS, but same basic config
I shoot with them, not train with them (although I have shot quals with them for fun)
we have 2 different goal: mine self defense from concealment, theirs, well obvious...offensive and defensive use from open carry
not to mention legal authority/laws/rules/etc.
I've been to several commercial training schools. some better than others
but in reality, if I need to use a gun, it is highly probable that the other guy will have had no training, or perhaps never shot his weapon, so I will have an intrinsic advantage, then again, it is random and involves chance/luck, many Rangers/SeALs/etc. have been killed by inferior trained and equipped forces

Which schools have you attended? I have been to the old Thunder Ranch three times, Front Sight twice and Gunsite once.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
Gunsite DHG 1 , 2 & 3 ( now 150, 250, 350, was different numbers back then, now there is a 450 or something)

a couple of sessions sponsored by local LE who brought in outside training agencies
do some shooting with a company in town who has a DoD and State Dept. contract, nice course and facilities
they also do driver training, Washington Security Group
some military training, above the basic pistol qual, taught by contractors

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^When I took the third-level course at Gunsite it was the "499," as I recall.

Sounds like you are very well trained.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
^When I took the third-level course at Gunsite it was the "499," as I recall.
Sounds like you are very well trained.

as you know from your background it only instills gross motor skill
situational awareness and mind-set are what matters

I pray I never need to find out how well trained I am

I question the applicability of the training, not the quality
I can say with a high degree of certainty I will never be in a tactical gun fight with trained opponents (multiple)

if I need to use a gun
it will be a surprise, I will not go into the situation thinking ' I'm going to use a gun '
it will happen in seconds and within 2-3 paces
will be over in 2-3 shots, one way or the other

the zimmerman episode is a good example
but he missed the first part, avoid the scenario, situational awareness, don't act like the popo if you are not the popo...me in that situation (not that I'm patrolling my neighborhood armed) take pictures, keep my distance, wait for the cops...as long as he is not hurting anyone or kicking in doors, time is on your side
but that is just me

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^You seem like a very sensible, clear-head chap. Sorry to see those clowns over on CE ganging up on you!

brokencycle

Reaction score

recently trying to switch over to this thinner and much lighter, overall small Walther PPS (9mm)
WaltherPPS-1.jpg
I tried the PPS at a range once because I was considering a PK380, but that was the closest they had. I was tired of shooting it within a few minutes.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
^You seem like a very sensible, clear-head chap. Sorry to see those clowns over on CE ganging up on you!

thanks, but I'm sure my wife would disagree at times re: sensible, lol

it's all in fun, hope they feel the same
0 animosity
the country is split down the middle and fragmented, it's the first thing that needs fixed imho and no politician is going to do, up to us, but it is hard

Last edited:

Arthur PE

Reaction score
I tried the PPS at a range once because I was considering a PK380, but that was the closest they had. I was tired of shooting it within a few minutes.

it's got a kick depending on load, I use medium hivel tactical loads, Federal HS
I shoot 100 rounds and that is good enough

better training would be 2-3 shots once a week and put it away, because when needed, no doubt you will be 'cold', not warmed up

now the P7M8, that thing can be shot forever without numbing your hand

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh, I'm just getting warmed up after 250 rounds. Before ammo prices tripled, I shot 700-1000 rounds each week. More time on the gun is better. You're accuracy when shooting "cold" will improve.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
Eh, I'm just getting warmed up after 250 rounds. Before ammo prices tripled, I shot 700-1000 rounds each week. More time on the gun is better. You're accuracy when shooting "cold" will improve.

90% of all civilian gun fights take place at <7' and involve 2-3 rounds, that is 2 long steps, almost at arms length x 2
99% less than 7 yds and 5 rounds
if you use the sights/top of the slide, super-imposed over (shadowing) the target, hard to miss...the problem is, most, including a high percentage of cops/trained, don't even remember seeing the sights...and result in a 20 round fusillade, praying for a hit

front sight, squeeze, front sight squeeze, front sight squueeze, until one party is rendered moot

I've never practiced for accuracy (well, long range in the Army) but for civie defensive carry, center of mass, and just getting the weapon into play is the key, not freezing up or fumbling
easier said than done, better yet, avoid the situation if at all possible

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's your life, so do what you think is best. Under stress of an attack, counter attack scenario, I've seen people miss the target or score a peripheral hit. No matter how much I train, I've never told myself that I'm good and enough or that I don't need more practice or more training. So I do as much as I can reasonably do and remind myself that it is never enough.

I do agree, as I mentioned previously, I prefer to avoid an engagement that test my skills on the street.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a Diamondback DB9. It's a handful but extremely accurate. I am however, having magazine issues. I talked to Scott at Diamondback and he's sending out another spring and follower. If that doesn't cure it then the next step is a new mag or two. At 11 ounces unloaded it's light and easy to carry for sure.

I am going to do an extensive test and review of this gun in the future including documenting DB's cutomer service and how they resolve the feeding issue.

More later...

Jan have you messed with one of these yet?

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The DB9 looks like a tight package. I hope it works out well for you, but feeding issues right off the bat seems like a bad sign.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just picked up a Diamondback DB9. It's a handful but extremely accurate. I am however, having magazine issues. I talked to Scott at Diamondback and he's sending out another spring and follower. If that doesn't cure it then the next step is a new mag or two. At 11 ounces unloaded it's light and easy to carry for sure.
I am going to do an extensive test and review of this gun in the future including documenting DB's cutomer service and how they resolve the feeding issue.
More later...
Jan have you messed with one of these yet?

Since I am retired now--and it's hard or impossible to get a lot of the newest handguns in California--my days of "messing" with the newest handguns are presumably over. I just enjoy shooting the many good guns I own. I will just say that I have yet to meet a "micro-compact" full power auto pistol I would trust my life to. Maybe I am doing a disservice to some good guns, but based on past experience I shun the breed! A 3 1/2-inch barrel is as short as I would go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads