• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grenson tor

Lomezz

Reaction score
Hi, Any experience with these? Tor They are quite attractively priced on pediwear -- about $240 shipped to the US. Can someone explain the difference between the Tor and the seemingly similar C&J Coniston, which will amount to more than $410 shipped? For one thing, they're storm welt, but on the other hand, the Consiton is on the 325 last, which is rather wide and not very elegant. Appreciate any thoughts.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tor looks to be made from waxed leather while Coniston is made from Scotch-grain leather. In addition, Coniston has a Dainite sole and a storm welt while Tor has a Commando sole and a regular welt.

I've never seen the Grenson boot in person, but I'm sure that it's a fine product. The lower price vis-a-vis Coniston is probably due to Grenson's lower profile than C&J's and (possibly) more expensive leather in the Coniston.

naturlaut

Reaction score
Speaking of Grenson boots, I am thinking about the Claude (whole-cut chelsea). I don't think many makers make whole-cut chelsea like that (there's always a seam underneath the elastic band), except maybe Weston? These boots are so much cheaper than the Masterpieces, probably different leather?

MPS

Reaction score
All RM Williams Chelsea boots are wholecut, with the seam at the back.

Lomezz

Reaction score
I don't know if Grenson's lower profile can account for the price difference from C&J, seeing as how the masterpieces are sometimes even slightly more expensive than C&J handgrades.

I guess I'll have to buy the Tor and report back on the qualiy... hmmm

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know if Grenson's lower profile can account for the price difference from C&J, seeing as how the masterpieces are sometimes even slightly more expensive than C&J handgrades.
Where have you seen Masterpieces selling for more than C&J Handgrades? That's not the case on any of the UK shoe-selling websites that I know of. It's true that Stuart's Choice shoes are made by Grenson to Masterpieces standards and that they're selling for more than Handgrade shoes bring in the US, but they're not labelled Grenson. They're labelled Stuart's Choice.

Lomezz

Reaction score
Well, I may have overstated the case, but at least on Pediwear, C&J handgrades are 280-310 (shoes on the 337 are towards the upper end of the range), while Masterpieces are 275-299.

That's essentially neck-and-neck pricing, which baffled me when I saw the great price difference between the Tor and the Coniston.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads