• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great movies?

mistahlee

Reaction score
Didn't see where anyone mentioned The Road Warrior.

"My life fades. The vision dims.  All that remains are memories ... "

Incomparable

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently...

Cold Mountain - Great camera work. My, those hills of Romania really do look like North Carolina. I loved the scene in the chapel where the folk demonstrate "shape note" singing.

Girl With A Pearl Earring - Absolutely fantastic. The real acting occurs not so much in the spoken dialogue but by what is not said but seen in the faces of the actors.

Some all time favorites: The Red Violin, Purple Noon, I Confess, The Man on the Train

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Some of y'all might think I'm sheltered for this, but I just saw Pulp Fiction in its entirety for the first time on Friday. Â Wow, that was an incredible movie.. Â I had seen Reservoir Dogs before, and -- to tell the truth -- I wasn't really impressed. Â But I gotta say Tarantino did a wonderful job in his second movie.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
"It's the one that says "Bad Mother F***er" on it"

from Pulp Fiction (the diner scene, at the end) was quite amusing.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Yeah, that was a great scene...

"What's Fonzy like?"

"Cool...?"

"Correct-a-mundo."

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i liked reservoir dogs a lot more than his next two. haven't seen either of the "kill bills" yet...

btw, there's an italian movie out right now called "i'm not afraid". it's excellent. look for it. can't tell you more about it or i'd give away the suprise.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
MP, I'm going to be seeing "Io non ho paura" tomorrow. They're going to show it tomorrow on campus as part of the Italian film series, so it's free for me.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll edit this later, but there a few foreign films that come to mind: Nueve Reinas (Nine Queens): An Argentinean film (in Spanish, obviously...and well the English subtitles are not fantastically translated...you get the gist of everything) about two conmen. Not only shows the beauty of Buenos Aires, but also excellently captures the South American economy and its fatal volatility. Nazi era movies: Ein Lied von Liebe und Tod (Gloomy Sunday): A German film (again, in its native tongue), it is a movie about a sordid love affair between three people and the infamous suicide song that intertwines them together. Masterfully shows Budapest in all its glory (is it me or does the name Vass come to mind every time Budapest is mentioned?) and has a fantastic soundtrack to boot. The movie is remindful of the movies Hollywood used to make. Amen: A German film (but in English&#33
wink.gif
about a SS officer and a Jesuit priest and the Vatican's role during WWII and the Holocaust. What is not shown is more terrifying than what is shown. Jon.

jharrison

Reaction score
Nine to Five. It's a gut-busting laugh every time.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I didn't see anyone mention the following, all of which are amongst my favorites, and more than a few of them I would even call "great"

Donnie Darko
Battle Royale
Enter The Dragon
The Big Lebowski
North By Northwest
Leon The Professional
Blade Runner
Groundhog Day
Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas
The Fifth Element

Oh and Cowboy Bebop is quite possibly one of the best television shows of ALL TIME (animated or not).

Brian SD

Reaction score
My favorite films:

High Fidelity
Snatch
Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels
Monty Python & The Holy Grail
Amelie
Lost in Translation
Punch Drunk Love
I Am Trying To Break Your Heart (documentary about Wilco)
Evil Dead series
Office Space
Zoolander
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
The Big Labowski
Shawshank Redemption
About A Boy
Fargo

I never really noticed how nearly every single movie in my favorites is at least part-comedy.

Brian SD

Reaction score
i liked reservoir dogs a lot more than his next two. haven't seen either of the "kill bills" yet...

btw, there's an italian movie out right now called "i'm not afraid". it's excellent. look for it. can't tell you more about it or i'd give away the suprise.
Kill Bills are eh... I think Reservoir Dogs is Tarantino's best. Part of appreciating RV is the soundtrack and how brilliantly implemented it is into, which is awesome. Another thing to note is how long the camera shots were - this takes a considerable amount of skill to pull off well.

quill

Reaction score
I'm jumping in here at the end of this thread, without reading every post, so I apologize if I'm about to repeat something. But... What do you guys think about Tarantino? Not his movies...him. I personally don't like him from what I've seen in interviews, but I'm interested to hear what others think.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Another movie: We're No Angels

Re: Tarantino - I find his movies a bit violent for my taste, but...it's pretty remarkable that he started out as a video store clerk and without formal education in film has become a very successful director.  Some of his cameos have been pretty entertaining.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads