1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Great movies?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by NavyStyles, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

My weird list: Le Samourai Ghost Dog Clockers Purple Noon Notorious Carlito's Way Things to do in Denver When You're Dead True Romance Cinema Paradiso Miller's Crossing Russian Ark Waking Life Arch of Triumph Gaslight Donnie Brasco Kagemusha (basically anything of Kurasawa) Better Tommorrow Parts I and II (Anything of John Woo from the Hong Kong days) God of Gamblers Anime list[​IMG]I'm half Jap) Spirited Away (and ANYTHING by Miyazaki) Graveyard of the Fireflies Record of Lodoss War X Ninja Scroll Violence Jack Escaflone Demon City Shinjuku Vampire Hunter D (and the sequel Bloodlust) Witch Hunter Robin Ghost in the Shell

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Awesome, Carlito's Way and Donnie Brasco are both great movies.

My best friend is really into some of the (better) anime movies and series'. He gave a copy of Ghost in the Shell but I have yet to watch it. He's also really into Cowboy Beebop. Ever see any of those? I have seen one or two (he also gave me the entire series on CD) and they were pretty decent.

3. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Cowboy Bebop is FANTASTIC.

4. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I forgot to mention Road to Perdition..a masterpiece.

5. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

Adaptation

I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier -- such a great movie.

6. VMan

VMan Senior member

I rented this with my girlfriend and watched it with her family. My GF and her family have no open-mindedness at all when it comes to anything creative - movies included. They hated it and we turned it off after 15 mins. Same with About Schmidt. We watched that for 30 mins and turned it off. I would have liked to watch both those straight through.

7. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

Never seen About Schmidt... but I must tell you to rent Adaptation again.. I can see why someone would want to turn it off, because it isn't a happy, cheerful type of film. Seriously, though, you should go rent it again. It's more than worth it.

8. Victor

Victor New Member

Lost In Translation
    The Royal Tenenbaums
    Bottle Rocket
    American Psycho
    Rushmore
    Annie Hall

9. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

Wild Things was enjoyable.
    So was Deuce Bigalow, Male Gigolo.

10. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

Just realizing no one mentioned Chicago. I was lucky enough to see it on Broadway about two years ago, and the movie definitely lived up to the splendor of the theatrical production.

11. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior member

Didn't see where anyone mentioned The Road Warrior.

"My life fades. The vision dims.  All that remains are memories ... "

Incomparable

12. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Recently...

Cold Mountain - Great camera work. My, those hills of Romania really do look like North Carolina. I loved the scene in the chapel where the folk demonstrate "shape note" singing.

Girl With A Pearl Earring - Absolutely fantastic. The real acting occurs not so much in the spoken dialogue but by what is not said but seen in the faces of the actors.

Some all time favorites: The Red Violin, Purple Noon, I Confess, The Man on the Train

13. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

Some of y'all might think I'm sheltered for this, but I just saw Pulp Fiction in its entirety for the first time on Friday. Â Wow, that was an incredible movie.. Â I had seen Reservoir Dogs before, and -- to tell the truth -- I wasn't really impressed. Â But I gotta say Tarantino did a wonderful job in his second movie.

14. banksmiranda

"It's the one that says "Bad Mother F***er" on it"

from Pulp Fiction (the diner scene, at the end) was quite amusing.

15. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

Yeah, that was a great scene...

"What's Fonzy like?"

"Cool...?"

"Correct-a-mundo."

16. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i liked reservoir dogs a lot more than his next two. haven't seen either of the "kill bills" yet...

btw, there's an italian movie out right now called "i'm not afraid". it's excellent. look for it. can't tell you more about it or i'd give away the suprise.

17. banksmiranda

MP, I'm going to be seeing "Io non ho paura" tomorrow. They're going to show it tomorrow on campus as part of the Italian film series, so it's free for me.

18. banksmiranda

I don't know how I could have left Dumb and Dumber off my list - it really is a great movie.

19. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I'll edit this later, but there a few foreign films that come to mind: Nueve Reinas (Nine Queens): An Argentinean film (in Spanish, obviously...and well the English subtitles are not fantastically translated...you get the gist of everything) about two conmen. Not only shows the beauty of Buenos Aires, but also excellently captures the South American economy and its fatal volatility. Nazi era movies: Ein Lied von Liebe und Tod (Gloomy Sunday): A German film (again, in its native tongue), it is a movie about a sordid love affair between three people and the infamous suicide song that intertwines them together. Masterfully shows Budapest in all its glory (is it me or does the name Vass come to mind every time Budapest is mentioned?) and has a fantastic soundtrack to boot. The movie is remindful of the movies Hollywood used to make. Amen: A German film (but in English&#33[​IMG] about a SS officer and a Jesuit priest and the Vatican's role during WWII and the Holocaust. What is not shown is more terrifying than what is shown. Jon.

20. jharrison

jharrison Senior member

Nine to Five. It's a gut-busting laugh every time.