• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went in to office this morning, wanted to wear boots, so chose the Bourbon suede Diesels for the trip.
IMG_4739.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These look amazing and I am eagerly awaiting a pair that will show up today or tomorrow. These were treated only using neutral venetian shoe cream? About how often? And will the neutral venetian leather balm you sell work as well?
I use only VSC on mine and, while not producing a really shiny end result, it does work rather well in conditioning. And I must add, I love your Avatar.

neal_is_king

Reaction score
Nope, Golden Retriever, just very light coated. Also my name AU=Gold and Dog=Dog. Been a Golden Retriever guy for most of my 65 years.

Wow, he is light! Very beautiful. Amy is pretty red, I get asked if she's an Irish Setter at least once a week, which I always find a little odd. She's my first, having grown up with black labs... I think I'm converted :)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow, he is light! Very beautiful. Amy is pretty red, I get asked if she's an Irish Setter at least once a week, which I always find a little odd. She's my first, having grown up with black labs... I think I'm converted :)
I'm partial to them. His coloring is called "English Creme" basically bred for very light coat. The breed standards go from light (almost white) to dark red, color doesn't matter, in dogs or people and all Goldens are good dogs!

PizzaDude

Reaction score
I'm partial to them. His coloring is called "English Creme" basically bred for very light coat. The breed standards go from light (almost white) to dark red, color doesn't matter, in dogs or people and all Goldens are good dogs!

Good dogs... absolutely, but the health issues they have can be hard on the wallet and heartbreaking...

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
These look amazing and I am eagerly awaiting a pair that will show up today or tomorrow. These were treated only using neutral venetian shoe cream? About how often? And will the neutral venetian leather balm you sell work as well?

I believe only venetian was used on this pair, probably once a month. That might be more often than necessary but we would use them for photos so applying cream helped with a sheen.

We sometimes get into trouble saying venetian cream, we actually are referring to the balm on our site. It is my understanding the balm is the most common venetian product used on both calf/cow and shell at the consumer level. We have always used the balm and never saw any drawbacks. It helps to shake it before applying to make sure the consistency isn't too watery which can penetrate the leather a little too quickly leaving a darker area.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good dogs... absolutely, but the health issues they have can be hard on the wallet and heartbreaking...
Been through that a few times, yes it is heartbreaking. That's why one needs to research a breeder and the genetic makeup of the Sire/Dam, no guarantees but a little more peace of mind.

neal_is_king

Reaction score
I believe only venetian was used on this pair, probably once a month. That might be more often than necessary but we would use them for photos so applying cream helped with a sheen.

We sometimes get into trouble saying venetian cream, we actually are referring to the balm on our site. It is my understanding the balm is the most common venetian product used on both calf/cow and shell at the consumer level. We have always used the balm and never saw any drawbacks. It helps to shake it before applying to make sure the consistency isn't too watery which can penetrate the leather a little too quickly leaving a darker area.

It is confusing how those two product names are used interchangeably, but that clears it up, thanks Wyatt!

I found this on a massdrop thread, incase it helps anyone:

Our Venetian Leather balm contains more waxes and conditioners than our shoe cream. Our leather balm jars are a concentrated formula of our leather balm for those consumers that want a jar packaging for convenience or habit. Plus we offer more colors in the jars.

Would you recommend an application before first wear (which should be in a few hours :))?

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It is confusing how those two product names are used interchangeably, but that clears it up, thanks Wyatt!

I found this on a massdrop thread, incase it helps anyone:

Would you recommend an application before first wear (which should be in a few hours :))?

It wouldn't hurt but we most likely put something on the boots before sending it. If you were to take a brush or cloth and burnish the upper real quick (without any product) and the surface still looks dry or somewhat matted, applying venetian would be good. If there is some wax and oils in the leather already, there should be a little sheen after buffing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads