• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We plan on having a promotion for Black Friday/ Cyber Monday. If you are looking for a pair of boots, it would be best to wait until next weekend. Return customers will have a little better deal.

Nice!

I totally get the idea behind limiting/avoiding sales as a brand hoping not to “devalue” itself. I was impressed with the 10% offer I got after buying my first pair (but accidentally let it expire).

You guys definitely have something special going here!

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't suppose that could apply retroactively to the preorder I just placed for my first pair from GS - the snuff longwings? :)

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I don't suppose that could apply retroactively to the preorder I just placed for my first pair from GS - the snuff longwings? :)

So sorry, I don't think so! You will receive the return customer code though :fonz:

One of the reasons we plan to participate with the boots is we will slowly replace these certain SKU with the new rubber sole. At this time, we don't plan to discount any styles which will be ongoing. This will probably also include the crimson longwing and the black calf longwing with antique welts & sole stain.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So sorry, I don't think so! You will receive the return customer code though :fonz:

One of the reasons we plan to participate with the boots is we will slowly replace these certain SKU with the new rubber sole. At this time, we don't plan to discount any styles which will be ongoing. This will probably also include the crimson longwing and the black calf longwing with antique welts & sole stain.

Makes sense.

What kind of rubber sole will be used on the boots? Any photos? That sounds terrific.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
ongoing
Makes sense.

What kind of rubber sole will be used on the boots? Any photos? That sounds terrific.

Initially we were considering to do a tap, a full leather outsole with a cavity in the forepart, setting the rubber inside. There were just too many performance concerns with this construction. Maybe we can do this after making more trials.
We then tried to use a Vibram and Dainite option but neither of these options fit our last shape well. The motif and logo will end up being off center on most of the sizes.

We decided to open our own outsole so it will line up correctly. It's similar to the Dainite idea which is studs, but we reduced the stud size roughly 40% to eliminate any possibility of feeling pressure from any single stud and adjusted the pattern to follow our last tread. The compound is a touch softer than some of the rubber soles out there in an effort to increase traction on hard glossy surfaces. The top lift is very basic with slightly raised lines where the dovetail would be.

While the picture is showing the British Tan Longwing, this was just a trial and do not have this SKU being made yet.

IMG_3532.JPG.jpeg

2017-08-05 11.39.07.jpg

Last edited:

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We plan on having a promotion for Black Friday/ Cyber Monday. If you are looking for a pair of boots, it would be best to wait until next weekend. Return customers will have a little better deal.

Awesome. May need to order a pair. Do you have any plans for a short wing instead of just long wings?

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome. May need to order a pair. Do you have any plans for a short wing instead of just long wings?

Not so far. A shortwing would probably translate best on a last which we currently don't have. The new Oliver last for the cap toe could be an option. It's not overly narrow or long.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not so far. A shortwing would probably translate best on a last which we currently don't have. The new Oliver last for the cap toe could be an option. It's not overly narrow or long.

That'd be cool. I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm just not a fan of long wings. Love a good short wing though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads