• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DawgPound

Reaction score
With all the size/fit posts in this thread, and recently I saw some photos of boot insides, I thought why not take some photos of mine and see what they show.

First some context…I brannock 11.5 E. I found my Leo last best fit by placing an order for four different sizes and tried them one after another. I fully expected 11 E would be the best fit based on the general recommendation of going down a half size. I tried 10 EEE, 11 E, 11 EEE and 11.5 E. It turns out my brannock size of 11.5 E feels the best. I was a little concerned that the width was good and the overall length would be a tad long…they are certainly comfortable. I have since purchased about 10 pair, give or take. I tend to think that if 11 EE was an option, those would also fit.

Now back to the photos of the inside. After taking and looking at them, they certainly look like as close to a perfect fit I will have with the shape of my foot. There is no toe pinch. I find them very comfortable right out of the box with minimal or no break in time. I love my Grant Stone boots!

43E04929-ADC8-4CEE-9A39-EFAAD9E51D59.jpeg

AC150898-60AE-4632-AD60-F6852B269698.jpeg

basu13

Reaction score
How do the leather soles in Grant Stone boots hold up? While I have several pairs on the rubber sole, my recently purchased saddle tan Diesels is only one on leather soles.

Are they good enough for regular use and walking on concrete? Or does putting on a rubber half sole make more sense?

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
I have those as well - a great looking boot and I think the double leather sole will last forever - with a caveat for me. I've also learned I dont like it. I find them so stiff to the point where it changes my gait, and I tend to wear out the toe quickly. On sidewalks it reminds me of walking on Rice Krispies with the constant pops and crackle of tiny stones exploding under my shoes, to the point where people I am walking with have looked at my feet like WTF? No more DL soles for me, and in hindsight I would have added rubber half-soles had I known what I do now.

I do like more flexible single leather soles of loafers and such.

ChorizoHowitzer

Reaction score
How do the leather soles in Grant Stone boots hold up? While I have several pairs on the rubber sole, my recently purchased saddle tan Diesels is only one on leather soles.

Are they good enough for regular use and walking on concrete? Or does putting on a rubber half sole make more sense?

I found them to be extremely comfortable, but my toes were also wearing out prematurely relative to the rest of the sole, so if I did them again I'd put some metal toe plates on.

DawgPound

Reaction score

I have one pair with leather soles and I think the Grant Stone leather soles are tougher than my AE leather soled shoes and boots and should last for some time. I also feel that leather soles are also a little more comfortable than the rubber soles. @RogerKaputnik is right with the Rice Krispies comment 😁

I have those as well - a great looking boot and I think the double leather sole will last forever - with a caveat for me. I've also learned I dont like it. I find them so stiff to the point where it changes my gait, and I tend to wear out the toe quickly. On sidewalks it reminds me of walking on Rice Krispies with the constant pops and crackle of tiny stones exploding under my shoes, to the point where people I am walking with have looked at my feet like WTF? No more DL soles for me, and in hindsight I would have added rubber half-soles had I known what I do now.

I do like more flexible single leather soles of loafers and such.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
I found them to be extremely comfortable, but my toes were also wearing out prematurely relative to the rest of the sole, so if I did them again I'd put some metal toe plates on.

I had to get toe plates put on mine, or I would have destroyed the toe in about a dozen wears. Now I like the soles even less with the plates and rarely wear the boots. Don't get me wrong @basu13, I'd really love this boot on a rubber sole.

I can see the same thing is going to happen on my GS longwings, so I am thinking to get the sole topper asap. I dont have this issue with my GS rubber sole pairs.

star656

Reaction score
Thoughts on hardness/break in flex with micro stud sole vs lug sole? Is it the same compound? Is heel to forefoot drop the same for apples to apples? Eg. Diesel/Edward in micro stud vs lug?

basu13

Reaction score
I had to get toe plates put on mine, or I would have destroyed the toe in about a dozen wears. Now I like the soles even less with the plates and rarely wear the boots. Don't get me wrong @basu13, I'd really love this boot on a rubber sole.

I can see the same thing is going to happen on my GS longwings, so I am thinking to get the sole topper asap. I dont have this issue with my GS rubber sole pairs.

I'll probably get a thin rubber half sole added since I'll walk on a lot of concrete and uneven asphalt. Would improve grip during the rains as well. Not a fan of the gravel crunch myself!

Last edited:

delmar

Reaction score
I never would've thought of it myself--taking a picture from inside a shoe with a smartphone. 12D veg tanned Diesels. Snug, but not what I'd call tight with wafer thin socks. I just got finished ordering a pair of the Ottawas in natural Minerva that are on sale but this time I went with 12E. We'll see how that works.
IMG_0244.jpg

Domino23

Reaction score
Are trades allowed in this thread? I recently purchased a pair of Diesels in Navy Chromexcel, 11.5E. I love the color, it's one of the most beautiful and unique shades I've ever seen. It's an astounding chameleon, vacillating between blue and green depending on the light. The issue is I love the boots on their own, but the color doesn't work well with my wardrobe and the style I'm moving towards, and to be blunt they are wasted on me. So I'd rather trade for a different pair and have them go to someone who will love them.

Two galleries:

Small one first. The other pair of boots is the Grey Kudu Diesels which are my current favorite boot of all time.

More pics of the Grant Stones I'm swapping out, ignore the rest of the pics.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are trades allowed in this thread? I recently purchased a pair of Diesels in Navy Chromexcel, 11.5E. I love the color, it's one of the most beautiful and unique shades I've ever seen. It's an astounding chameleon, vacillating between blue and green depending on the light. The issue is I love the boots on their own, but the color doesn't work well with my wardrobe and the style I'm moving towards, and to be blunt they are wasted on me. So I'd rather trade for a different pair and have them go to someone who will love them.

Two galleries:

Small one first. The other pair of boots is the Grey Kudu Diesels which are my current favorite boot of all time.

More pics of the Grant Stones I'm swapping out, ignore the rest of the pics.

You can try this thread: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/grant-stone-buy-sell-trade.652444/latest

Commisar

Reaction score
I found the 1757 fit a bit vague - good, but not great. I think you'll see what I'm talking about above when you try on your Leo pair. Leo is most-analogous to Alden's Barrie last (IMHO), but a bit more open at the toes and a bit more gathered at the mid-foot for me. I've put many miles in Leo pairs and always been very comfortable. Your sizing is a bit more complicated, but I'm optimistic. Definitely check in with the team there on sizing - you've got a lot of fidelity for them to work with in terms of other sizing and the puts/takes, and they know their stuff. Good luck!
@ProfilaBinding If you are hoping for more room in the ankle and over the instep, the Leo will have both, a half size down from the 1757. I find the Leo more voluminous overall, but with a more dramatic taper of the toes. And, the Leo feels longer to me, even a half size down.

Also, the Alden modified last is much more dramatically anatomical in shape and gathers quite a lot at the waist with nearly no toe taper (of the big toe). I don't think you can say it's similar to the Leo much at all, at least in my experience.

Great to hear, I'll look into a Diesel boot and the British tan calfskin longwings.

Commisar

Reaction score
With all the size/fit posts in this thread, and recently I saw some photos of boot insides, I thought why not take some photos of mine and see what they show.

First some context…I brannock 11.5 E. I found my Leo last best fit by placing an order for four different sizes and tried them one after another. I fully expected 11 E would be the best fit based on the general recommendation of going down a half size. I tried 10 EEE, 11 E, 11 EEE and 11.5 E. It turns out my brannock size of 11.5 E feels the best. I was a little concerned that the width was good and the overall length would be a tad long…they are certainly comfortable. I have since purchased about 10 pair, give or take. I tend to think that if 11 EE was an option, those would also fit.

Now back to the photos of the inside. After taking and looking at them, they certainly look like as close to a perfect fit I will have with the shape of my foot. There is no toe pinch. I find them very comfortable right out of the box with minimal or no break in time. I love my Grant Stone boots!

View attachment 1881602
View attachment 1881603
Yep that fit looks just about perfect.

Someone with a few GS boots told me that the Leo in boot form can be .5 down or tts depending on how you like your boots to fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads