• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grammar/Spelling/Syntax/English lessons

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
I hate this construction with a buring passion that cannot be assuaged. "What it is is" is a construction I believe I first started hearing in the early 80s. It grated on my nerves from the very first and I vowed never to use it. Unfortunately, when thoughtless constructions like this become widespread, they become infectious and you have to make a concentrated effort to avoid using them. For a **** topping, add "it's," eg.: "What it is is, it's a way of sounding like an utter moron."
hey man, it is what it is.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate this construction with a buring passion that cannot be assuaged. "What it is is" is a construction I believe I first started hearing in the early 80s. It grated on my nerves from the very first and I vowed never to use it. Unfortunately, when thoughtless constructions like this become widespread, they become infectious and you have to make a concentrated effort to avoid using them. For a **** topping, add "it's," eg.: "What it is is, it's a way of sounding like an utter moron."
That sounds like common argot, which usually signifies mediocrity.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faustian bargain
hey man, it is what it is.

This is not even close to being in the same league. It's not what it's not, too.

Originally Posted by LabelKing
That sounds like common argot, which usually signifies mediocrity.

In this case, aspiring to the bottom rung of mediocrity.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
"Each was better than the next"... what you're probably trying to say was that they just kept getting better, but what you are saying is that they kept getting worse.

What you meant to say was "each was better than the last".

"Principle" means rule, ethical standard, basic generalization.
"Principal" means the most important or primary, or the guy who gave you a detention.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I think this was on the thread we lost, and I disagree that it is a hard-and-fast rule.

"Hicks", "rednecks", and "the unsophisticated" prefer inferior service.
When words/phrases are in scare quotes, or are in quotation marks to denote the unusual use of the word, or as a citation, etc., I don't think the commas should be in the quotes. (do not check this sentence for parallel construction Bob)

"I have begun," he said, "to go insane."
In this case, it makes sense to me. However, if the quotation itself doesn't include a comma or the end of a sentence, why would it be in the quotation marks?

I'm gonna hang with my 4th grade English teacher and Strunk & White on this one.

Period goes inside the quotes, "period."

Why? The construction of the sentence isn't altered by a quotation. The quotation marks are used to indicate something to the reader, not to change the grammatical construction of the sentence.
I can't think of any reason why your example would generate some kind of exception.
It's like starting a sentence with a capital letter.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
I'm gonna hang with my 4th grade English teacher and Strunk & White on this one.

Period goes inside the quotes, "period."

Why? The construction of the sentence isn't altered by a quotation. The quotation marks are used to indicate something to the reader, not to change the grammatical construction of the sentence.
I can't think of any reason why your example would generate some kind of exception.
It's like starting a sentence with a capital letter.

As a professional editor, I want to voice my complete agreement.

Placing periods and commas outside of quotation marks is a British convention. This is the style used by The Economist. If you want to use this style as an American, be consistent throughout with spelling too ("colour," etc.).

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just hate doing it with periods but not doing it with exclamation and question marks. Everything tends to go inside quotation marks with me, save in formal writing.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
I just hate doing it with periods but not doing it with exclamation and question marks. Everything tends to go inside quotation marks with me, save in formal writing.

Yes, but consider how including either of the others within quotation marks materially changes the quoted text:

Have you read Tolstoy's "War and Peace?"

vs

Have you read Tolstoy's "War and Peace"?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize it does, but that doesn't stop the inconsistency of the system from annoying me. In that sense, the British convention is preferable, even if I can do without the colour.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, but consider how including either of the others within quotation marks materially changes the quoted text:

Have you read Tolstoy's "War and Peace?"

vs

Have you read Tolstoy's "War and Peace"?

Wouldn't it be War and Peace? I was taught that books and films should be underlined or italicized, and short stories or songs are in quotes.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In formal, cited writing, underlined— never italicized— at least in MLA form. Otherwise, just capitalized like normal.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Wouldn't it be War and Peace? I was taught that books and films should be underlined or italicized, and short stories or songs are in quotes.

Yes, this is correct. That was not the best example. This should illustrate the point better: (
deadhorse-a.gif
)

Did you hear him when he said, "All humhahs are weewahs, and all weewahs are poobahs, therefore all humhahs are poobahs?"

vs

Did you hear him when he said, "All humhahs are weewahs, and all weewahs are poobahs, therefore all humhahs are poobahs"?

In the first, he's being quoted as framing the syllogism as a question, when, in fact, it was a statement.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On another tangent, I love those quite British appropriations of grammar, cantering it into verbose, dense sentences, pregnant like biting little poems of hate. An especial example would be Dame Edith Sitwell: I'm not the man to balk at a low smell, I not the man to insist on asphodel. This sounds like a He-fellow, don't you think? It sounds like that. I belch, I bawl, I drink. Why not be oneself? That is the whole secret of a successful appearance. If one is a greyhound, why try to look like a Pekingese?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads