• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grammar/Spelling/Syntax/English lessons

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i often use semi colons, though i don't really know the rules that pertain to them. i just go with my gut. everytime i use one in microsoft word, the spell checker says, "use of semi colon. consider revising," as though there were never a right time to use one.

capitalizing proper nouns is against my aesthetic. you know that.

Spell checker is marsupialed; Semicolons are awesome.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The hyphen may be more appropriate there -- not that the semicolon is wrong, though.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A, B, C, and D
That final serial, or Oxford, comma is generally omitted in modern British English (and in US journalism), contrary to general US English use, and Fowler's, too. If there are too many ands in the area, however, that final comma aids clarity.
The ampersand problems relates, I think, to proper nouns in lists. Turnbull & Asser but not ...fishing & hiking, unless used as informal shorthand.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i often use semi colons, though I don't really know the rules that pertain to them. i just go with my gut. everytime i use one in microsoft word, the spell checker says, "use of semi colon. consider revising." as though there were never a right time to use one.
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Spell checker is marsupialed; Semicolons are awesome.

The semi-colon is often used to join together two independent clauses -- in other words, it joins two clauses that could be sentences. For example: "matadorpoeta drives an Aston-Martin; however, Tokyo Slim drives a Bentley."

These two clauses could be separate sentences: "matadorpoeta drives an Aston-Martin. Tokyo Slim drives a Bentley." However, when you use a semi-colon, you are generally suggesting that there is a relationship between the sentences, but you are not making that relationship clear.

Usually, you can tell from the context what the relationship is. In the example above, the relationship is probably contrast; you could also use "but" to make this clear: "matadorpoeta drives an Aston-Martin, but Tokyo Slim drives a Bentley." When you use a semi-colon, it is often because you want to make the reader think about the relationship. This is useful in many situations, such as when writing cautiously, ironically, or humorously.
smile.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
I find periods and commas to be overused in general. Both are aesthetically displeasing -- who wants text "full of birdshot and wormholes?"

(Quoted Robert Bringhurst, author of The Elements of Typographic Style)

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I personally prefer number three, number one is the next least offensive, and number two should burn in a firey hell.

Although I'd probably like it better if the names were capitalized.

I think the more correct for law firms is Hook, Lyon and Sinker.

or Drawn, Quartered and Decapitated.

As for insurance companies its "Elsewhere Insurance" cuz if you ever change they note you as going elsewhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads