• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gordon Yao

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dragon,

Yes, all HK tailors could make a suit in 3 days, but is it in same quality?

A-Man can make a suit for me in 3 days too, but they tell me if I want the top quality, it take at lease 3 weeks, 1 month will be normal.

So, that is your choice.

My 1st Yao's jacket take almost 2 months.

xingby

Reaction score
Hi, am a newbie to this forum. I live in BKK and have tried most of BKK's purported bests. Unfortunately, haven't found one that I am fully satisfied with. After reading the posts here am venturing out a bit and as will be visiting HK this weekend, will pay a visit to Gordon. I'm bringing my own fabric (trofeo), am really hoping for good outcome....

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was in HK on a weekly basis two years ago I stayed at the Royal Garden about five times. It is my favorite hotel in TST on a price:quality ratio (~$120 per night in 2006). I recall the in house tailor shop and I must have said hi to Gordon a few times but I was dumb enough to buy a cheap MTM suit from a shop in the plaza behind the Regal Kowloon. When I got back to the US, I threw the suit in the trash since it was so bad that it was completely unsalvageable. It felt like it was fused with cardboard. Too bad I went to HK in my pre-SF days.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here is mine, had him made last year. I am not entirely happy, but I guess its my fault. I didn't stress strong enough to do as little shoulder padding as possible. So I guess by default, he made the suit with padded shoulders. Construction is pretty good though, hand sewed collar and what not. But I am going to try Chan and hopefully stay with him.

gordan1.jpg

gordan2.jpg

sixpaq

Reaction score
Last fall I had a basic suit made by Gordon Yao after patronising Chan for the past couple of years and the results were very good. My only regret was picking a lightweight VBC that has been a slight pain to maintain. My other suits and trousers fare better in Singapore's tropical swampiness. Working with Gordon is different from what I'm used to - he's more opinionated than Patrick at Chan which is both good and bad. Yao actually took the time to explain lapel proportions and gorge and offered his opinion on what he thought would look good on me. He did not, however, prevent me from making a poor choice of lining fabric colour but that's fine. I actually think it's a good thing that Gordon offers advice without being too unyielding.

Overall I'm satisfied and would use Yao again, especially since he offers CMT for a reasonable price. Service was good, he responded to email quickly, and was accommodating with fitting times.

I also contacted Dyon CHAN (Takly) based on a tip from Fishball but we weren't able to meet in person as he was en route to the US. I'll be back in HK in a couple weeks and plan to call Dyon again. Takly also offers CMT.

suited&booted

Reaction score
Hey sixpaq,

Mat I know how much did you finally pay for the Gordon Yao suit? Does he also stock any English cloth in his shop?

Cheers.

sixpaq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited&booted
Hey sixpaq,

Mat I know how much did you finally pay for the Gordon Yao suit? Does he also stock any English cloth in his shop?

Cheers.

S&B: I've sent you a personal message

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got basted fitting by Gordon here in HK yesterday. I was quite impressed, I'll report back when the final product is done. I asked for him to take out the shoulder padding and make the scye softer, and he slipped the padding right out of there in front of me (I'd heard it was hard to get him to make a soft shoulder). I also asked him to move the scyes closer inwards towards the center of my body, since I believe that increases shoulder mobility (he knew what an Anderson and Sheppard type shoulder was). Armsyces weren't ultra-high and tight like I've seen on Fred Astaire, but that's fine and I was told in another forum that it's not good to ask a tailor to deviate too much from what he's used to. Overall it draped very nicely, I was stunned in fact... maybe a lot of that has to do with the fact I had it made up in 21 oz Huddersfield worsted
wink.gif

healinginfluence

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
Got basted fitting by Gordon here in HK yesterday. I was quite impressed, I'll report back when the final product is done. I asked for him to take out the shoulder padding and make the scye softer, and he slipped the padding right out of there in front of me (I'd heard it was hard to get him to make a soft shoulder). I also asked him to move the scyes closer inwards towards the center of my body, since I believe that increases shoulder mobility (he knew what an Anderson and Sheppard type shoulder was). Armsyces weren't ultra-high and tight like I've seen on Fred Astaire, but that's fine and I was told in another forum that it's not good to ask a tailor to deviate too much from what he's used to. Overall it draped very nicely, I was stunned in fact... maybe a lot of that has to do with the fact I had it made up in 21 oz Huddersfield worsted
wink.gif

I ordered three suits from Gordon during his recent US trip. I received them last week and they fit very well. I asked for less padding in the shoulders than he normally puts in and he was happy to oblige. The suits came in the mail. I just had to have them pressed and now I've started wearing them. Gordon is a skilled tailor, honest and a gentleman.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by healinginfluence
I ordered three suits from Gordon during his recent US trip. I received them last week and they fit very well. I asked for less padding in the shoulders than he normally puts in and he was happy to oblige. The suits came in the mail. I just had to have them pressed and now I've started wearing them. Gordon is a skilled tailor, honest and a gentleman.

So true on all counts

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
wink.gif

Glad you liked what've you seen so far.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by healinginfluence

Totally agree.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads