• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodbye shorts and SS shirts! Welcome back argyle socks, wingtips, wool pants, ties, jackets, overc

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I f*#$@#*g hate winter and cold weather. This should have been a poll.

Last edited:

LeviMay

Reaction score
Hear, hear!

I agree... I'm very excited to be able to once again dress as I like without the risk of sweating through my jacket or having to change my ring-collared shirt halfway through the day. Getting out the overcoats is another bonus.

Hear in Canada, we can look forward to 6+ months of enjoyably cool weather!

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I f*#$@#*g hate winter and cold weather. This should have been a poll.

+ infinitiy.

It is plain dumb to like nasty cold weather. I lived in England for something like 17years, and froze my testicles off in winter. Winters there averaged around 38 - 40 during the day. Temp wise it is almost like a joyous early spring for some of the Canadians and East Coast / Mid West residents. I could not imagine living somewhere where the average temp mid day hovers around the 25 - 30 mark.

Winter temps here in northern california low 50's to mid 60's. Now that is a good winter, and I save myself a whole heap of money by not buying thick winter long coats or pea coats - not needed here. Anything more that light weight wool brings those beads of sweat rolling down the back.

Move to Northern California Lint, winters here will be very agreeable for you.

Keeping in tune with the thread, I like fall the best. Time for me to wear my brown windowpanes, cords, and brown plaid outfits.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isn't so much a celebration of sub-freezing temps, but the dissipation of weather that prevents SF MC outfits.
After a few months, you get tired of the same 3 shorts and SS shirts.
That said, how long do you spend outside in the winter? Almost none. So, the weather is moot.
It's restricting, but not uncomfortable (unless you walk to work, or work outside)

williamson

Reaction score

It is plain dumb to like nasty cold weather. I lived in England for something like 17years, and froze my testicles off in winter. Winters there averaged around 38 - 40 during the day. Temp wise it is almost like a joyous early spring for some of the Canadians and East Coast / Mid West residents. I could not imagine living somewhere where the average temp mid day hovers around the 25 - 30 mark....thick winter long coats or pea coats - not needed here.

Cold weather is NOT nasty, and you must have been in England during an unusually cold winter (the average winter temperature in southern Britain is +5C). As the OP implies, it is summer weather which is a limiting factor for stylish and classical dressing - temperatures above 25C are simply not friendly. It is MUCH easier to regulate one's thermal comfort at lower temperatures. My bete noire in winter is overheated interiors, which give too great a temperature contrast between inside and outside.
This year we had a cool (and often somewhat wet) summer in the UK - it's been great! One could wear a suit, or jacket and tie, without feeling hot. I'm delighted that I don't have to endure the summer temperatures that so many American posters describe.
To me the clothes of winter are smarter (in the British sense), more interesting and psychologically more satisfying to wear. Outerwear is the completion of the dressing - it's not simply an extra that one has to throw on.

Last edited:

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+ infinitiy.

It is plain dumb to like nasty cold weather. I lived in England for something like 17years, and froze my testicles off in winter. Winters there averaged around 38 - 40 during the day. Temp wise it is almost like a joyous early spring for some of the Canadians and East Coast / Mid West residents. I could not imagine living somewhere where the average temp mid day hovers around the 25 - 30 mark.

So we're talking Fahrenheit?

Because Canadians use Celsius, and I just spent 6 years in Ottawa where a realistic daily temperature for January-February is -20°C (-4°F) . . . . . .

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This isn't so much a celebration of sub-freezing temps, but the dissipation of weather that prevents SF MC outfits.

If I had to choose between warm temps and MC outfits, warm temps win 99.9999% of the time. No desire for winter to roll around.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Harris Tweed SC. With the recent dip in temps, this, more than anything I have owned since March, 2011, has become my "go to" clothing item. Its ability to go with nearly everything worries me that I might abandon some other coats that would serve just as well but require a bit more thought as to fit co-ordination.

:confused:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads