• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
@in stitches and @Murlsquirl

You guys pick up some ties from Carter yet?

akoustas

Reaction score
Hello all,

First........many thanks on the groups' thoughts on the brown suit (asked about it a month ago). I commissioned the piece and am expecting it in the next couple of weeks. Pics to be posted of course. I did work 3 summers on a farm so I've decided to ignore the typical anti-brown crowd.

On to the topic at hand....I've had an issue trying to make this outfit work for a year and have been through countless bad choices and purchases on ties.

Basically I have a navy blue gingham shirt I'd like to pair with my charcoal suit (looks great on it's own) but I can't ever seem to find a tie to put it all together.

This is the best I've managed so far (lavender and navy Sam Hober grenadine) but it comes off to me as being too "blue"

Any ideas on a knockout combination for this?

thanks!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

@in stitches
and @Murlsquirl

You guys pick up some ties from Carter yet?

Have not. :(

I would say that the reason is because I am flat broke, however, I have certainly managed to fund in one way or other other items recently that cost me significantly more money.

I guess in the end of the day the real reason is that I have more than enough ties, to the point that I am barely wearing even the ones that I like the most more than a couple times a year. So I not really feeling kopping any more at present.

But Im sure that will change soon enough.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Me neither, Clags. NMWA has all my money. I could use a new tie though....I'll check out what HC has to offer these days.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm extremely pleased with both HC ties as well as the price. Seems the two I have are out of stock though.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, better to be tieless than to start purchasing clothing with credit.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm extremely pleased with both HC ties as well as the price. Seems the two I have are out of stock though.
glad you and @SeaJen loke your ties. There's lots out of stock/sold out at the moment, big sale plus busy in general but in the next 2-5 weeks will see a heap of new stuff including plain grenadine re-stocks, new linen/silks, new macclesfields, new patterned grenadines and shantung silks. Gonna be a good season ahead I reckon...

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
glad you and @SeaJen loke your ties. There's lots out of stock/sold out at the moment, big sale plus busy in general but in the next 2-5 weeks will see a heap of new stuff including plain grenadine re-stocks, new linen/silks, new macclesfields, new patterned grenadines and shantung silks. Gonna be a good season ahead I reckon...
Certainly is a beautiful tie, Jason.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up some awesome Autumn tweed / donegal ties...

Anyone got any solid recommendations?...other than Drake's...

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
navy blue gingham shirt

I have a pink one that pairs well with grey. With blue checks I actually find they look better with a navy suit - the similar tone of suit and shirt doesn't jar at all, then allows more contrast with the tie and PS (burgundies, greens perhaps?)

But you asked specifically about how to pair it with the charcoal: I'd say add a tie with higher contrast but not too busy, maybe a rust tussah or grenadine - these are other favourites for me on blue patterned shirts.

www.yellowhookneckties.com Not sure what he's got in right now, but Rob definitely makes some tweed and donegal ties. His runs are very small but keep an eye on the site - and you will have the advantage of not seeing everyone else on SF wearing the same one. I have a couple myself of that ilk.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

http://www.kentwang.com/ties/wool-donegal-red.html

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[...]

Basically I have a navy blue gingham shirt I'd like to pair with my charcoal suit (looks great on it's own) but I can't ever seem to find a tie to put it all together.

[...]

Any ideas on a knockout combination for this?

I like gingham shirts. But, they can be difficult to pair with a tie. Especially high contrast ones like yours. And I would reconsider combining a shirt like that with a charcoal worsted business suit. Not a good look, IMHO. If you do insist on wearing that shirt with a tie, I'd go for a burgundy knit or grenadine grossa.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't forget Ebay, especially UK. With a bit of searching you may actually end up with a nice tie that not everyone on SF is already wearing...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads