1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. teoky

teoky Senior Member

2. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Distinguished Member

I just received my latest yesterday. For the last four years my wife and kid (now kids) have given me a tie and square as part of my birthday. Vanda is Friggin' awesome.

3. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I have all u listed except midnight

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Kids, plural? Did not know that. Mazal Tov!!!

5. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

A tie I just can't seem to pull the trigger on at $95....

Hoping for a sale

[​IMG]

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Whats $ got to do with it? Either you like it or you dont.

7. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

Would u kop? I don't own a rust tie

A bit on the high side for a non-bespoke. That's Hober money right there

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Noodles, most of your suits and shirts are solids, and you only wear a white PS. You don't need more solid ties. Start with a couple of those madder neats. I promise you, you will feel love.

9. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Who makes it? Rust ties are awesome.

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Distinguished Member

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

I know it's hard to say without pictures, but would a silver-grey herringbone wool tie go with a navy suit and a light blue shirt? Trying to find pictures or picture it myself and I see the shirt/tie contrast being an issue, but think it'd go well with the suit.

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Don't see why not. I like a little more colour myself, but as you're not a pasty gora like me, I'm sure it would be fine.

13. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior Member

Hi everyone,

- Phew, I just spent the past couple of days reading this thread from start to present.
    - I agree with @Cleav -- this thread rocks! [​IMG]
    - In particular, the thread's far flung membership and the wide ranging discussions (both on and off topic) are edifying and entertaining, which helps to maintain interest levels.
    - The "slices of international (family) life" revealed here by some are very cool and have contributed to the strong community spirit on display here. I hope to reciprocate in kind shortly, when I'm ready to start posting glimpses of my own sartorial journey and fits here.
    - Only 6 pages to go until 800 pages on this thread. Again, well done Clags & The Noodles!

BK

Edit: Typos corrected.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

14. Isolation

Isolation Distinguished Member

I just want to confirm this thing about shirt fits, but it's normal for fabric to pool above your waistband/belt area because that excess fabric allows you to raise your arm/turn, right? I keep seeing pictures of shirt fit tight and having no excess fabric there, but surely the moment you lift your arms the shirt will pull up?

Picture to illustrate what I mean:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

15. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior Member

@Isolation all my custom shirts (with tapered sides, but without darts and not too fitted) tend to have the same sort of excess fabric roll above the waist band, just like yours as pictured.

However, its mainly a result of how I tuck them into my trousers. In my case, I deliberately leave a slight excess fabric roll there, especially if I intend to be active (moving my arms around alot) and don't want my shirt tails pulling out in an uncontrolled manner. Alas, its more of an issue with low rise trousers too, However, I also have the option of pulling the shirt tails down firmly to remove the excess fold of fabric. For example, during my military service we used to tuck our shirts into our underpants and improvise shirt pleats on both side seams to achieve a more tightly fitted look, in the absence of professional adjustments to our uniform shirts.

For the tightly fitted style of custom shirts (that are typically darted too), I don't have much experience. Not my preferred style. However, I think they may typically have higher arm holes too, in an effort to avoid the shirt tail fabric pulling out above the waist band. For example, see the on screen James Bond characters' shirts. Anyway, I'm not a shirt maker by trade, so I will defer to the more experienced heads on this thread.

I hope that helps.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014