• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mothon

Reaction score

Is this a versatile square that can be worn year round?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just got that PS, and id wear it all year round. its a wool silk combo and i think considering that only a small part of any PS is visible when worn, that its a-ok. obviously i am biased.

as far as colors, the navy/green/red version is probably more versatile.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I am a 39S or 40S and typically wear ties that are 3.5 to 3.75 inches wide. IMO anything between 3 inches and 3.75 inches is fine and whether you like ties to be a bit narrower or a bit wider is largely a matter of personal preference. I've come to prefer ties that are 3.5 inches wide but still happily wear my 3.75 inch ties.

Provided there is not some horrid mismatch between something like lapel width and tie width, I don't see why it is a big deal. I generally have my jacket buttoned when standing so people aren't going to see how wide my tie is vs. my lapels and when sitting it is often behind a desk, table, etc. where nobody is going to notice. And if one takes off one's jacket in the office anyways, then this will basically never be relevant.

Playing Devil's advocate: Hasn't the intended lesson been to buy things that best suit him, rather than settle for the less-than-ideal? SF-approved items that don't suit are no better than NM items that don't suit, IMO.

This is a good point, though there is the risk of letting the perfect be the enemy of the very good. Settling for "good enough" or "decent" isn't a good idea, but at a certain point obsessing over perfection (which Rudals seems to do at times) is destructive. I don't think you're advocating an obsession with perfection, but as long as Rudals can look at something and say "I really like this" about something that objectively looks good, I think that is sufficient. I just can't see not wearing a tie in a classically acceptable width because it is .25 inches wider than one might prefer. Of course, we all have certain details we obsess over.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Let's settle this new tie issue once and for all.
Please observe below for the jacket that has the widest lapels in my closet. I actually love it! I am perfectly fine with its width. And I also happen to have one more that has the same width. We're done with this. Let's move on...or I can move on now.
This, enjoy.

You can opt for a slightly narrower width next time, if you wish. I think 3.25-3.5 might not be that noticeable (it will vary in appearance with pattern, color etc). I personally think 3 inches on the too narrow side (unless it's a substantial knit). 3.375 is my dividing the difference of the range I just noted.

Doc: are you talking about a 3inch tie that isn't a knit? Honestly, I've always felt that a bit narrow for me (I'm a 39R, 6 feet, 170 lbs). But I haven't been wearing ties consistently for long enough to perhaps have the right eye.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the navajo PS is teh ish.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
DocH, no acknowledgement of Patrick Macnee's birthday today?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That tie is not too wide. Period. I'll brook no disagreement on this point, dammit.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

All I'm suggesting for Rudals is that he figure out what his own preference is.

I think that would be the best possible outcome of this thread for Rudalsy.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the navajo PS is teh ish.

It's a versatile square. I like squares with a complex pattern that can be folded in different ways as MF demonstrates. Versatile, but for fall/winter. There are lighter versions. Where is the Navajo still available?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads