• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gianni Volpe Napoli - my mohair suit

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot remember exactly but it is a mohair blend by H&S. It obviously pull in movement but after resting for a while it goes back to normal. I have just checked it now having worn it yesterday and shows no sign of wear. I will try to take better pictures next time as the angle and my posture in those pictures does not give it justice even thought as I said it needs few adjustments...

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
that is a good suit. i think mohair is supposedly wrinkle resistant.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I cannot remember exactly but it is a mohair blend by H&S. It obviously pull in movement but after resting for a while it goes back to normal. I have just checked it now having worn it yesterday and shows no sign of wear. I will try to take better pictures next time as the angle and my posture in those pictures does not give it justice even thought as I said it needs few adjustments...

what is it blended with? :)

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that is a good suit. i think mohair is supposedly wrinkle resistant.
An excellent suit. Great fit. In point of fact, I believe mohair preceded KEVLAR in bullet-proof clothing.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pants fit pretty bad, either that or you have really screwed up legs.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The pants fit pretty bad, either that or you have really screwed up legs.

As I mentioned I have gained few cm in circumference of muscle mass in the tight since my last fitting and could do with a tiny bit more room. Also the pictures look worst than it is in reality as I just came out of the car and did not really adjust myself, and if u thin that when sitting the thick tight pull up thr vloth, is not a minor thing. Finally, if you see the pictures of the wool trouser in the other post, a softer cloth that stretches better, you see the fit is much better

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the general proportions. The scale of individual features is very pleasing, such as the lapels. Not too wide, not too high. However, granted that the photo quality is obviously not the best, it seems to me the jacket could use a lot more shape. It doesn't have much of the roundedness that I like in my own things from Naples. To an extent, that's certainly a matter of taste, and weight gain could also be a large contributing factor.

Does it look as you remember it at your fittings?

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Matt,
thanks for your comments.

To re-cap from my original post on this commission, I am going through a "fat" weight lost and a bit of muscle gain phase. This is not certainly the best period to commission new bespoke but a> I needed a new suit, b> I wanted to get back in touch with Mr Volpe. I decided to go ahead as Mr Volpe took into account the fact that I would loose further weight around the waist and gain some mass around the shoulder arms and therefore allowed for future adjustments. Also, I only did one basted fitting based on my 10 years old template, where my posture was much straighter, and asked him to give me the suit as it was, let me wear it a bit and than allow for future adjustments. Without going into too much extra details, but I had a small set back in my fitness plan, and then had to start physio in July (two months after the fitting/commission) which has focused specifically in strengthening my upper leg, which meant gaining some unplanned mass in my quads as well.
So having said the above to explain somehow the not yet achieved desired fit, you are right that I do myself prefer a slightly fitter look but not with so much waist suppression that the first button shows evident pull. That is a too modern touch which is not a Neapolitan sign but more a relatively modern trend that originated in the main fashion houses. I will get it closer to the body once my weight somehow stabilise, hopefully by the end of November when I am planning my next trip to Naples.
Finally, I promise to post some more pictures ASAP with a proper camera, trying to show at least the wonderful colour that the fabric really has.

Thanks,

Marco

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads