• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What caused my bespoke suit to fit differently?

lullemans72

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I haven't posted a thread here in quite a while, but this topic warranted it.

Here's the backstory: I had my very first bespoke suit made back in 2019 here in Japan where I live. It's been an absolute pleasure wearing something that is made to fit me so closely.

This week, after a 6 month hiatus, I took out my suit from my closet to wear it to the office, so I was really looking forward to it. As I was getting ready in the morning, I noticed something rather strange in the mirror: the left lapel on my suit didn't seem nice and flatly aligned like the right lapel. It had this "dent" in it which you usually see with cheaper, ill fitting suits.

Shocked at the sight of this, and not knowing why it only happened on one side, I decided during my lunch break to head over to the tailor who made my suit. I was told that it might be because I gained some weight around the waist which is why the suit fits differently now, but he assured me it was not a problem: he could somewhat fix the issue by moving the position of the buttons 5 millimeters.

Later that day, I picked up the suit from the tailor after work, and although still visible, the change in button stance definitely made the dent in the left lapel less obvious. The tailor added that he could completely remove the dent if I wanted to, but I would have to compromise on the suit's silhouette as he would have to take out some of the fabric in the back, inevitably making the suit look more boxy.

For reference, I'm posting a photo from when the suit was made back in 2019 where you can see the lapels draping very nicely over my upper torso, as well as a photo I took yesterday AFTER the tailor made the adjustments to the buttons. You can still see a slight gap in the lapel.

My questions to you guys on the forum are:
-Did this happen because I gained or lost weight?
-Why did it only happen on one side and not the other?

Attachments

• IMG_20221020_210819.jpg
    IMG_20221020_210819.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20190902_184153.jpg
    IMG_20190902_184153.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the lapel bowing out and lifting off your chest?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe bowing is usually a sign of tightness in the jacket somewhere - Chest, shoulders, etc. so what your tailor diagnosed it as makes sense to me.

When we gain weight the mass it isn't always distributed evenly. Could have gained more mass on one side or the other if it's only one side. I'm not a tailor so can't diagnose it for sure or offer suggestions but you can ask the tailors thread for ideas. https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...ck-and-alteration-suggestions.265924/page-663

lullemans72

Reaction score
Gaining weight unevenly is an interesting concept. Hadn't thought about that.

Thanks for the link to the thread! I had no idea there was a thread like that on here. Will check it out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads