• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting Robbed

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I mean this in only the nicest, most constructive way: If you have to ask an online forum how to fight off a robber, you're not equipped to fight off a robber. It's like taking a karate correspondence course.

Part of learning how to defend yourself is learning when it's necessary and when it's best just to hand over your wallet. If they're armed and you're not, it's generally the latter. And you never know if they're hopped up on drugs or what.

This makes me think of a sketch that was on Saturday Night Live last night ...
http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Li...eo/#mea=227152

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
2. Pocket Knife, if so what kind?

This is a good way to get hurt. Do you have it in you to stab a man until he is dead or incapacitated? (That can take a lot of stabbing.) Do you want to find out the hard way whether he does?

Originally Posted by tiecollector
According to... Oprah Winfrey, you are supposed to carry some side cash in a money clip to throw at the assailant's feet and then run away.

Has she given up her armed bodyguards for a couple tens and ones?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One reason I feel the way I do: I once confronted a guy breaking into a vehicle. Like an idiot, I started yelling at him before I even paused to think about it. As I approached, shouting, he yanked his head out of the driver's seat and stared at me with this odd, glassy-eyed expression. He was clearly startled, and probably high. In the time we spent looking at each other, he could have pulled out a gun and shot me dead, even if just on reflex. I was lucky that he ran off. But afterward, I realized just how stupid I'd been.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If someone is going to rob you, it's because they're convinced they have an advantage. Maybe it's a knife, a gun, or a buddy hiding around the corner.

Don't turn into the karate kid and get yourself killed expecting to win a fair fight. Be smart and try and avoid the situation in the first place using common sense.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Start screaming that you have AIDS and then start spitting.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just run if you can. they most likely arent going to shoot someone running. and if you get a head start they probably wont chase you. run in random directions in the beggining because they say after a few feet the chance of getting hit by a bullet goes down dramatically.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Start screaming that you have AIDS and then start spitting.

That should do it. Unless they already have aids, and need your money for some experimental treatment.

Originally Posted by West24
just run if you can. they most likely arent going to shoot someone running. and if you get a head start they probably wont chase you. run in random directions in the beggining because they say after a few feet the chance of getting hit by a bullet goes down dramatically.

That's what they told us to do during the DC sniper shootings. I actually saw many people walking in zig-zags.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Doc, please stop making sense. This thread was already looking so promising stacked between "stuff" threads....
Stuff muggers like?
So there you have it Coho. Someone who is a competitive heavyweight amateur boxer still tells you to just get the hell out of there instead of coming with the heroics. I think one of the weak points of a lot of martial arts btw is they do instill a degree of false self confidence in new guys, who seem to think that after 4 months and their first grading, nothing in the world can stop them.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is in line with the advice I got from the police 15 years ago, as we cruised around looking for the guys who mugged me here in Brooklyn.

If you think you are going to be mugged, just run, they said.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wow,

this reminds me of the very first thread that I posted on on style forum.

same advice to you- if somebody is robbing you, just give them what they want. everything else is replaceable. don't get yourself killed over a few bucks, or over feeling like you came out of it a man. live to have and enjoy kids, live to retire. don't bleed out in some cold parking lot because you didn't want to give up what you would spend on a tie.

if it makes you feel better, take up boxing or krav maga. get some asp or some other quality brand pepper spray. but keep in mind that those are not to keep you from getting mugged, they are to give you some little edge if giving up what you have isn't good enough. your first, and major plan, should be to give the mugger what he wants, and not antaganize him.

and, while we have had this very discussion 20 times before, let me add that I don't think carrying a gun around is any better.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Don't worry, who, we're back on track.
mime-with-whew-expression-~-ks6202.jpg

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can run much faster than my wife so I should be set.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads