• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting Robbed

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coho-

The best weapon continues to be prevention - situational awareness is crucial. Assume you are likely to victimized and operate to limit opportunities. Try not to walk close to alley ways or too close to parked cars at night; avoid parking in isolated parts of the lot; have your keys in hand when approaching your building; have your card or cash in had if riding public transit; avoid ATMs at night (particularly those n the outside of buildings); and do not walk around drunk or stoned.

Constantly monitor your surroundings. Do not wear headphones or get lost in cell phone conversations. Avoid texting while walking.

If a situation feels sketchy, assume it is and get out as quickly as possible The reptile part of the brain is often right.

All else being equal, do not carry any weapon that you a) have not been well trained to use and b) do not constantly re-train to use. Much of the use of any weapon under stress is repeatedly practicing so that the use is automatic. The time it will take you to plan your move is time you do not have. Sure, some people instinctively do well under stress or get lucky, but that is not likely for most of us.

The same rule applies with any martial art - eastern or even boxing. Unless you have practiced and practiced to the point that the moves are second nature, you run the risk of freezing or forgetting what to do under stress. It is the reason much of the women's one-hour self defense courses are a waste of time. Martial arts against a guy with a weapon or against two or more people ups the ante considerably - - it can be done, but is best left to the very well-trained.

Treat street crime as combat - surviving is the goal. Surviving without injury is winning big time. You are unlikely to have any possession on your person worth life or limb. That said, not all street crimes can be simple transaction - sometimes the bad guys want to mess with you for the sheer fun. But, sometimes the cab jumps the curb and you are squished - life is random.

playdohh22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Anything else? I don't think carrying a firearm is a good idea. So alternative suggestions would be helpful.

Carrying a firearm isn't a option, here.

EVA%20Form%20Toy%20Gun_357.jpg

I guarantee you will feel much more safe carrying this around in your briefcase.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Marc,

Thanks. I'll keep this in mind.

Originally Posted by marc237
Surviving without injury is winning big time.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
i think its best to just look like a Mugger
biggrin.gif

So that you get beat up by the other thugs for poaching in their quarter?
confused.gif

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
i think its best to just look like a Mugger
biggrin.gif

You hit the nail on the head. Social mimicry is the best way to stay out of trouble.

Carrying a gun comes very close second.

Kengs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I'd go for the "hammerless" style so that you get fewer snags on your bespoke clothing.

2005_0304Image0002-1.jpg

That being said, in my experience, most novices are terrible shooting revolvers, especially double action.

Kengs

Reaction score
perhaps a "hide in plain sight" option?
DSC03884.jpg
DSC03883.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kengs
I passed on a chance to buy that back in 1990 for 3500; STILL pissed about it to this day
plain.gif

Whooops, what are they worth now, $10k? Probably a fair bit more.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Give them what they want. Even if they don't have a gun, it's incredibly dangerous to fight someone who has a knife. The odds are extremely good you'll end up cut, stabbed or dead. It's one of the first things you learn in martial arts/self defense. Besides, even if they appear to be empty handed, you don't know what they're carrying.

If, as you say, they jump you and pop you in the head, you're probably not going to be quick enough to defend yourself anyway. There are few situations where heroics are possible/the right answer.

Stuff can be replaced, but your life can't. And why get all those nice clothes torn and bloody?

The thread could have ended right here. Your best self-defense is to stay out of dangerous situations by remaining aware of your surroundings at all times (I suggest you read "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker).

Kaizen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Whooops, what are they worth now, $10k? Probably a fair bit more.

The latest I've seen, civilian-transferable MP5s are at least $15k, and that would be finding a good deal. I saw one of the briefcases for sale a while back. I think it was $1500 by itself.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kengs
perhaps a "hide in plain sight" option?

DSC03884.jpg

DSC03883.jpg

Awe insipiring... but not gonna fit the back pocket of any tight, raw denim...
smile.gif

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carried daily (the larger one) for several years. Don't feel the need any more:
cs-gunsites01.jpg
Would have used it if somebody threatened me with a box cutter, otherwise, I'd just give them my wallet. I used it more for opening packages anyhow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads