• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Authenticity

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to applaud some here for being able to bring in other topics and discussions with such aplomb in order to bolster for what, in the end, is nothing more than opinion. Somehow, though, when ones opinions are backed up with pseudo scientific / academic writing it takes on the veneer of fact.

I’m curious about something; how many people who seem to be falling all over themselves worrying about what to call a group of people or whether one should wear jewelry styled in a certain motif have actually met people from these groups. Not just met, but lived amongst them, eaten with them and cared for them?

I'm curious to the nature of that question. Why do you ask?

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to applaud some here for being able to bring in other topics and discussions with such aplomb in order to bolster for what, in the end, is nothing more than opinion. Somehow, though, when ones opinions are backed up with pseudo scientific / academic writing it takes on the veneer of fact.

I’m curious about something; how many people who seem to be falling all over themselves worrying about what to call a group of people or whether one should wear jewelry styled in a certain motif have actually met people from these groups. Not just met, but lived amongst them, eaten with them and cared for them?
There is official precedent. Imperial China had an actual Bureau for the Rectification of Names to deal with these issues in an efficient and comprehensive fashion.

Bronze Age Sartorial

Reaction score
From its beginning, Ivy style has been shaped by Jewish clothiers. J. Press and Chipp were both founded by Jewish families. For a time, Brooks Brothers was owned by a Jewish-owned parent company, Garfinckles. This was the same period when John C Woods ran the label (Woods is widely considered to be one of the last "greats" in the company's history). At the turn of the 20th century, about 90% of NYC's garment district industry was owned by newly arrived German Jews, and a Jewish presence still remains big in the American garment trade because of this history.

Interesting, appreciate the detailed reply ??

efta

Reaction score

Why would that ever matter or even be desirable? I've worn a baseball cap, yet I've neither been to brooklyn nor have I eaten/cared for a brooklynite. Does that mean I'm a poser? The whole discussion is just reeking of insecurity.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what does wearing a
Why would that ever matter or even be desirable? I've worn a baseball cap, yet I've neither been to brooklyn nor have I eaten/cared for a brooklynite. Does that mean I'm a poser? The whole discussion is just reeking of insecurity.
what does wearing a baseball cap have to do with Brooklyn?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to the nature of that question. Why do you ask?

because there are people falling all over themselves wondering about the propriety of it. I wonder if it’s a form of self absolution? “These people are unfortunate, poor and disenfranchised. I’ll do my part and make noise about what they should be called and I’ll be doing my part to help them.” For people like me who spent a lot of time with them, I’ll tell you. They’re not that worried about it and for poorer tribes, like I worked with, their concerns were more existential.

I normally don’t like citing others in order to back what I observe but there are those here who are more comfortable expressing an opinion once they find the data to support their position.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For people like me who spent a lot of time with them, I’ll tell you. They’re not that worried about it and for poorer tribes, like I worked with, they’re concerns were more existential.

How did you come to this conclusion? While working them, did you ask "do you mind if I call you redskin?"

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Because as we all know, all opinions are equally plausible and well-supported.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
what does wearing a

what does wearing a baseball cap have to do with Brooklyn?

The progenitor of the modern baseball cap was worn by members of the Brooklyn Excelsior team. Before that, men wore things like straw boaters on the field.

But I don't think Phileas Fogg's comment had anything to do with authenticity. As I suspected, I think he was more commenting on how he feels people are virtue signaling or whatever. I think it's possible that the majority of native people are not concerned with the word Indian (I have no idea, as I have not conducted a poll). But I've met enough native people who consider the term a slur, and I'm happy to use another term. The term Indian seems like a misnomer anyway.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the Bear Inn in Oxford they have acres of cut-off ties with the relevant information. Styfo dudes need to consult it as a reference library before they even think of setting foot in the Bodleian.

View attachment 1571875

View attachment 1571876
Are these ties that have been removed from people who wore them inauthentically? I've never had occasion to visit Oxford nor set foot in the Bodleian, but should I, in the future, I believe I'll wear a grenadine solid tie.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are these ties that have been removed from people who wore them inauthentically? I've never had occasion to visit Oxford nor set foot in the Bodleian, but should I, in the future, I believe I'll wear a grenadine solid tie.

You should wear your London Lounge club tie, and then log into your account when questioned.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The progenitor of the modern baseball cap was worn by members of the Brooklyn Excelsior team. Before that, men wore things like straw boaters on the field.

But I don't think Phileas Fogg's comment had anything to do with authenticity. As I suspected, I think he was more commenting on how he feels people are virtue signaling or whatever. I think it's possible that the majority of native people are not concerned with the word Indian (I have no idea, as I have not conducted a poll). But I've met enough native people who consider the term a slur, and I'm happy to use another term. The term Indian seems like a misnomer anyway.

As am I. I agree; I would never gratuitously use a term that would be offensive to someone, even if others in that same class don’t object to it.

The point I was making is that often times we focus on esoteric and marginal concerns, perhaps out of our own bourgeois vanity or perhaps because we simply don’t know, and gloss over the real problems concerning these communities and groups.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did you come to this conclusion? While working them, did you ask "do you mind if I call you redskin?"

when you’re around people long enough you get to know their concerns, problems, fears and anxieties. Poverty, education, drugs and alcohol related issues were first and foremost. Did I ask them? Of course not.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As am I. I agree; I would never gratuitously use a term that would be offensive to someone, even if others in that same class don’t object to it.

The point I was making is that often times we focus on esoteric and marginal concerns, perhaps out of our own bourgeois vanity or perhaps because we simply don’t know, and gloss over the real problems concerning these communities and groups.

I think this question arose when a native person on this board asked someone else to not use the term Indian. You then included a link about the Washington Redskins and mentioned your experience with native people to seemingly correct a native person on this board, which ... seems weird?

People can walk and chew gum at the same time; you can care about both issues. It's possible that some people are concerned with just semiotics and not material matters, but since this specific discussion isn't about material issues, I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads