• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My old school steed, still running strong.

DSC00902.jpg
DSC00933.jpg
DSC00939.jpg

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are going to need more than that. . .

Deetz on the handlebars?

Easton monkey Lite CF bars from the early days of risers. These were a low profile riser bar back when most bars were still flat and aluminum, maybe early 00's. Now CF is everywhere on MTBs but back then it was a big deal.

Frame is a Litespeed Obed, their midlevel frame back when they were still made in TN by the Lynskey's. That Moots layback post was a grail purchase from the late 90's. My forks are Manitou ti (something) with about 2" of travel. I still ride off road a few times a month during the season in a 100 acre park full of singletrack that's a minute's ride from my house. I see one other old school MTB guy all the time. He rides a Merlin from the same era. We often chat about the golden age of hardtails in New England. In those days, Boston had some amazing custom steel and ti frame builders, Independent Fabrications, Merlin, Seven Cycles.

I keep thinking I want a 27.5" Santa Cruz or something but then I realize I'm not jumping or hucking anything at my age. So I just go enjoy a 45 min ride in the woods.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the spec (cuz I'm a loser):

Frame: Eddy Merckx Titan (Made my Litespeed in Chattanooga most probs)
Fork: ENVE
Wheels: White Ind. T11 on Light Bike Carbon Rimz 20 h f, 24 r. 2x lace, brass nips, Dura Ace skewerz
Brakes: Campy Super Record 2018
Cranks: Campy Super Record 2014 52/39, S/R BB
H/S: Chris King
Cassette: Campy Super record 25-11
Chain: Campy Record
Tires: Veloflex Arrenberg Tubular 25s
Pedals: Dura Ace
Seat Post: Thomson Masterpiece, Thomson Collar
Stem: Thomson Elite
Seat: Selle Italia - super lite carbon ****
Bars: Deda Superlergherarjah
Tape: Deda
Derailleurs: Campy Super Record 2015

Literally my dream bike. So nice having a bike completely fitted. **** I'm so high on glue right now.
Pretty confident that bike will get you ass...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I keep thinking I want a 27.5" Santa Cruz or something but then I realize I'm not jumping or hucking anything at my age. So I just go enjoy a 45 min ride in the woods.

Have you tried one? Modern bikes ride...different. Today's trail geometry, bigger tires/wheels, and improves suspension just conquer everything.

That said, maybe you really don't want one...might make your local trails too easy.

I think if my dad gets a new bike, he might get bored...I think I've posted this before, but he rides a 90's Klein Mantra.

Birthed in 1996, the Mantra was one of the hottest, most lusted-after models of its time. But let me tell you, from first hand experience, the Mantra was, and still is, a bike to be feared. Should you run across a Mantra (and there are still plenty of them floating about), whatever you do, DO NOT attempt to ride one down any kind of hill. Not if you cherish your collarbones. Consider this a public service announcement with a backstory.

Given that riders of modern bikes view them as unrideable death traps...I imagine things would get a lot less exciting on a new bike.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried one? Modern bikes ride...different. Today's trail geometry, bigger tires/wheels, and improves suspension just conquer everything.

That said, maybe you really don't want one...might make your local trails too easy.

I think if my dad gets a new bike, he might get bored...I think I've posted this before, but he rides a 90's Klein Mantra.

Birthed in 1996, the Mantra was one of the hottest, most lusted-after models of its time. But let me tell you, from first hand experience, the Mantra was, and still is, a bike to be feared. Should you run across a Mantra (and there are still plenty of them floating about), whatever you do, DO NOT attempt to ride one down any kind of hill. Not if you cherish your collarbones. Consider this a public service announcement with a backstory.

Given that riders of modern bikes view them as unrideable death traps...I imagine things would get a lot less exciting on a new bike.

I rode a buddy's 29" wheeled Santa Cruz on the same trails. It's like night and day. No picking a line, just roll over roots, ruts, etc. I can only imagine the trails that are rideable on that thing would be impossible on my old hardtail. The one thing that I can't stand about my old school tech is the brakes. With any rain or mud, I long for modern disc brakes.

These days it's more about the exercise than anything else. I have a 10-11 year old Specialized Roubaix that I also ride. I just prefer the woods if I want to get the heart rate up.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soo, I've expanded my disengagement at work and have decided to use more and more of my workday to go mountain biking. Last few days I've scheduled fake meetings to give me cover to head up to Marin to hit the trail. It's great for my mental health and you only get so many times in your life where you can do stuff like this.

At her suggestion, I've been riding my wife's Ripley lately which has been fun. I have had a crazy number of pedal strikes (and one brutal chainring strike :oops:) and had been assuming it was just endemic to the Ripley due to the low BB and its reputation as a pedal striker but I finally realized that I never adjusted the shock sag to account for the weight differential. I checked it today and it was crazy low so I pumped it up before my ride and had a massive decrease in pedal strikes. Still haven't dialed the Ripley in perfectly but I guess that's what workdays are for the next few weeks/months until I become engaged again at work.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a Fitzik Antares but can't decide which one. Want an open version but not sure if my Domane will fit carbon rails.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a Fitzik Antares but can't decide which one. Want an open version but not sure if my Domane will fit carbon rails.

Do any of your local shops have Fizik demo saddles? That’s a great way to try them out out. I’ve had three different Antares saddles and have liked all of them. The current one is the R5. The others were the original VS model.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
That's a good idea but I'm lazy and just want it delivered. Guess I'll look in the web and see if I can find an LBS that has demos.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm paranoid about ordering the wrong build for my Zipps. How do I make sure I order the right build? 11-34 Ultegra cassette.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads