• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Re: gravel bikes.

Really support that tbh. I think wider tires are the WTG.

I'm not super big on mtb stuff but if i had good dirt roads and singletrack I would 100% be looking more for a gravel bike. Depending on gearing, gravel bike with a 2nd wheel/tire setup for road would be super clutch.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spent a few hundred dollars a few weeks ago to buy a used Trek hardtail from a LBS as I, like many other people, tries to find new outlets for physical activity and getting out of the house during the Rona Times. I'd been thinking about doing this for a while, and no real end in sight for COVID-19 led me to go ahead and do it. I haven't ever really ridden "seriously", and I've been spending a lot of time lurking on cycling forums and subreddits, and, damn, this is a serious rabbit hole and money sink if you want it to be. Not surprising, though, as my other main hobby is firearms which is not inexpensive either.

I bought a helmet, hydropack, new tires (someone had put semi-slick road tires on it, so I changed them out for some knobby Continentals), a couple of spare tubes, and some other basic stuff. Went out and rode 4 or 5 miles of trails in a nearby park last Saturday and had some fun. Of course, I live in Charleston, so "mountain" biking is a bit of a misnomer. We do (or did, before COVID-19) take a few trips to Asheville and surrounding areas each year as quick getaways, and I hear they have some good stuff in the Pisgah National Forest area.

Glad I stumbled on this thread. I'm going to give it probably until the end of the year on this old bike to make sure I'm invested in the sport before I decide to drop more cash on something new or a much nicer used bike. I do wonder, though, whether the diminishing returns start with respect to spending more than, say, $1,000 or $1,500 on a bike for someone like me who is not a professional or going on 50 mile rides anytime soon.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: gravel bikes.

Really support that tbh. I think wider tires are the WTG.

I'm not super big on mtb stuff but if i had good dirt roads and singletrack I would 100% be looking more for a gravel bike. Depending on gearing, gravel bike with a 2nd wheel/tire setup for road would be super clutch.
I'm leaning towards a gravel bike because my understanding is it is a good balance between road and dirt, and not needing to switch out tires for road riding.
Someone with more knowledge please step in and school us all.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards a gravel bike because my understanding is it is a good balance between road and dirt, and not needing to switch out tires for road riding.
Someone with more knowledge please step in and school us all.

You're not going to get the same performance on the road using gravel tires. At the same time, you're going to go through gravel tires much faster if you ride them on the road. Up to you if the trade off is worth it.

I prefer running two sets of wheels because it makes everything easier.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've been looking at gravel bikes lately. I want something that is a good balance where I can ride it on the streets and not worry to much about road quality, and also hit some dirt roads / mild trails.
Found a place that carries Specialized bikes near where we are about to move.

Have a friend who's been cycling for years and just got this; he loves it.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gravel bikes are the OneShoe™ of bicycles. But in a good way. Given our easy access to the trails in Marin and San Mateo, if I were buying today, I would probably get a Diverge instead of the Tarmac. That said, I have ridden the headlands trails on my Tarmac with 26mm tires. Ironically, I now have 30mm tubeless on that bike, but since I have acquired a gravel bike, it rarely goes off the pavement anymore.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I spent a few hundred dollars a few weeks ago to buy a used Trek hardtail from a LBS as I, like many other people, tries to find new outlets for physical activity and getting out of the house during the Rona Times. I'd been thinking about doing this for a while, and no real end in sight for COVID-19 led me to go ahead and do it. I haven't ever really ridden "seriously", and I've been spending a lot of time lurking on cycling forums and subreddits, and, damn, this is a serious rabbit hole and money sink if you want it to be. Not surprising, though, as my other main hobby is firearms which is not inexpensive either.
Aha so with your hobbies, maybe you’ve worked out an answer to this question of mine - how to CCW while riding?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
They claim the Domane is fit for gravel and I've watched youtubes of folks doing gravel and easy single track. I can't see doing that as I have nearly 200 miles of nice, wide, paved multi-use that start 3 miles from the casa and there's a wide bike lane on a fairly quiet road to get me down those three miles. If I get this, which I actually hope to be ready to ride for Labour Day weekend, I'll think about a trail bike (looking at Santa Cruz Hightower) in a year.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aha so with your hobbies, maybe you’ve worked out an answer to this question of mine - how to CCW while riding?
I think Dara (and I'm sure many others) makes an actual holster that clamps on to the bike frame. Seems like a terrible idea to me. Which really isn't a "concealed" carry anyway. You might as well mount a turret between the handlebars.

I carried a small single stack .380 (my typical carry if I do during the summer) when I went last weekend because I'd never been there before and it's in a relatively rural area. I had it in my backpack, which I didn't like too much either. I don't like not having control of it on my body. But, you also have to consider something that is drop safe for if and when you fall. I haven't started looking into it in depth yet, but I know that some companies (like 5.11, probably) make "tacticool" belly band type holsters that I think are often used for jogging. I suppose you could always use a standard shoulder holster or a high-retention hip holster, but I expect that would be very uncomfortable.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They claim the Domane is fit for gravel and I've watched youtubes of folks doing gravel and easy single track. I can't see doing that as I have nearly 200 miles of nice, wide, paved multi-use that start 3 miles from the casa and there's a wide bike lane on a fairly quiet road to get me down those three miles. If I get this, which I actually hope to be ready to ride for Labour Day weekend, I'll think about a trail bike (looking at Santa Cruz Hightower) in a year.

If it can fit 30-32's with even a tiny amount of tread on them you'll be fine on most gravel roads.
This is the huge advantage of disc brakes on bikes...allows the frames to be built with a ton more clearance.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If it can fit 30-32's with even a tiny amount of tread on them you'll be fine on most gravel roads.
This is the huge advantage of disc brakes on bikes...allows the frames to be built with a ton more clearance.

Comes running 32s and can take up to 38s.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol....I accidentally put everything in the spoiler.
Uhhhhhh....it's pictures of my bike.

[/SP
IMG_1413.jpeg
IMG_1410.jpeg
IMG_1411.jpeg
IMG_1412.jpeg
OILER]

Some pics of my special lady, that I don't ride anymore. Bought the frame and hand picked all the components in my late teens.
She is a hair under 20 pounds, which was a big deal back then.
Thousands and thousands of miles under her belt. Countless Rosarito to Ensenada rides, and a Solvang Century.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
SL 5 as a gravel bike.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads