• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

unprocessed

Reaction score
I'm an 11D in Allen Edmonds (65/201/79 lasts amongst others) and comparable sizes in the other UK makers (10.5E EG/10E JLP) and 10.5E has worked for me for G&G. My DG70s felt very narrow and required a good amount of break-in but after the long break-in they are quite comfortable. I'd say the most 'accessible' last I think is MH71 (least number of people have complained of issues) and people occasionally have issues with DG70 or TG73. In general though, you should e fine with 6E UK in any G&G last as they're supposedly only a toe shape differential (some people go up a width to do the pointer lasts like deco).

I’m so close to pulling the trigger. The St. James II in cherry is gorgeous, and seems like it could be taken a number of different directions depending on what color polish you use.

Given that I received a response to an email I sent G&G over the weekend in an hour, seems like their customer service is good too and an exchange wouldn’t be a problem if I need a better fit.

unprocessed

Reaction score
For those with vintage cherry, how well do they pair with suits?

I love the vintage rioja, but unfortunately it’s only available in the Hilton. I think the rioja would be a much better color for me but I much prefer the St. James II.

I’ve also never tried G&G before so MTO isn’t an option with no returns.

Also, any idea on how often G&G adds/changes their RTW options? They seem a bit limited, and the St. James II in vintage cherry and Hilton in vintage rioja are the only two I’m considering.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those with vintage cherry, how well do they pair with suits?

I love the vintage rioja, but unfortunately it’s only available in the Hilton. I think the rioja would be a much better color for me but I much prefer the St. James II.

I’ve also never tried G&G before so MTO isn’t an option with no returns.

Also, any idea on how often G&G adds/changes their RTW options? They seem a bit limited, and the St. James II in vintage cherry and Hilton in vintage rioja are the only two I’m considering.
If you want vintage rioja why not the Westbury?

I have a st James & Westbury in vintage rioja. Like them both. Never cared for the vintage cherry. Too light yet not light enough for a summer Oxford. I have a Connaught in vintage pine (I believe - the tan color).

unprocessed

Reaction score
Unfortunately the Westbury doesn’t look like a RTW option. Can’t do MTO until I figure out my size and fit for G&G.

I have seen some photos of the vintage cherry polished and darkened a bit and they look sharp, but the rioja looks stunning for wearing with suits.

I have a st James & Westbury in vintage rioja. Like them both. Never cared for the vintage cherry. Too light yet not light enough for a summer Oxford. I have a Connaught in vintage pine (I believe - the tan color).

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Westbury doesn’t look like a RTW option. Can’t do MTO until I figure out my size and fit for G&G.

I have seen some photos of the vintage cherry polished and darkened a bit and they look sharp, but the rioja looks stunning for wearing with suits.

I got the Westbury in rioja rtw. What about the Hayes. I remember that being rtw for a while. Maybe call the gaziano & Girling store on Savile Row & ask.

papado

Reaction score
I got the Westbury in rioja rtw. What about the Hayes. I remember that being rtw for a while. Maybe call the gaziano & Girling store on Savile Row & ask.

I think G&G just redid their RTW collection; I think the westbury and hayes were part of the 'end of line' sale for some reason.

Perhaps they figured they can grab the MTO add-ons for normal color oxfords. I mean who wouldn't want the grey or blue deco oxfords for everyday wear to be stock orders? LOL

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think G&G just redid their RTW collection; I think the westbury and hayes were part of the 'end of line' sale for some reason.

Perhaps they figured they can grab the MTO add-ons for normal color oxfords. I mean who wouldn't want the grey or blue deco oxfords for everyday wear to be stock orders? LOL
Is that really part of their rtw line now? Nothing against blue oxfords. But geez. Maybe check bergdorfs or Wilkes bashford. If I recall correctly, they had a different selection than the Savile Row store. Maybe you can grab an end of the line shoe on sale? Or did that sale expire already.

DouglasE

Reaction score

Agree on Cherry vs. Rioja. The Rioja color is a beautiful pairing with a navy suit.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Is that really part of their rtw line now? Nothing against blue oxfords. But geez. Maybe check bergdorfs or Wilkes bashford. If I recall correctly, they had a different selection than the Savile Row store. Maybe you can grab an end of the line shoe on sale? Or did that sale expire already.
Unfortunately looks like slim sticking for third party options. Anyone know if G&G stocks some RTW shoes not listed on their website? I might have to settle for cherry vintage otherwise.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just took a look through their current offerings. My first thought is call the Savile Row Store, and see if they can help you. But if they tell you youre limited to their current offerings, I'd do either the Black Sinatra, Oak Burnham, or Oak Grant. I definitely agree with you r/e hilton.

Im a big fan of the Sinatra, & Burnham (Burnham is a chelsea boot & slightly more expensive). Sinatra is the grail RTW Black tie shoe imo, which can be worn with a suit. Perfect shoe. Then once you've figured out your size, you can do a MTO Oxford. Also, I will be incredibly jealous of your Sinatra, haha.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Has anyone with a pair of Vintage Cherry darkened the shoes with a Bordeaux or black cream? Would ideally like to darken the shoes to the point where they look similar to the Vintage Rioja. Think this would be possible? G&G doesn't have a RTW rioja in my size, unfortunately.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone with a pair of Vintage Cherry darkened the shoes with a Bordeaux or black cream? Would ideally like to darken the shoes to the point where they look similar to the Vintage Rioja. Think this would be possible? G&G doesn't have a RTW rioja in my size, unfortunately.
Are you sure your size is not in there? Or is it your width?

Attachments

• 2019-09-09 17_54_25-Window.png
    2019-09-09 17_54_25-Window.png
    347.4 KB · Views: 114

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like their inventory online isn’t 100%. They didn’t have my size that the website said was available
damn, and they don't accommodate you and make it without the MTO surcharge? also, do they really only offer the antibes loafer in this weird yellow'ish? feels like a lot to pay 500 pounds more just for a different color.... I guess this really goes for most of their shoes. Why don't they offer most shoes in basic colors ? Or am I missing something?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads