• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Frank the sheep

Reaction score

If you had to rank all of G&G lasts based on timeless, what would that be? I'm trying to decided which would be last to get between the MH71 or TG73.

MH71 without a doubt.

Arran on MH71

Last edited:

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Wensum`s are actually the indestructible rubber sole that looks as thin as the leather from the side. It would never need a resole, and hence my question - Topy`s do need replacement, and presumably are put on to get more wear out of the sole, but the ultimate is the Wensum sole, available from G&G. Perhaps not much is known about this sole? It is similar to a RM Williams composite sole, and rarely wears out, literally, whereas the Topy does wear out and cab alter the balance of the shoe, if only marginally.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think topy simply serves the purpose of increasing the leather sole longevity a bit, while still giving you that GG fiddled waist.

I have been told that rubber soles are more ideal for foul weather environments. Would be the only reason for me to get a rubber sole. Otherwise, how could I miss out on that leather sole goodness :)

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think topy simply serves the purpose of increasing the leather sole longevity a bit, while still giving you that GG fiddled waist.

I have been told that rubber soles are more ideal for foul weather environments. Would be the only reason for me to get a rubber sole. Otherwise, how could I miss out on that leather sole goodness
smile.gif

That's the reason I have Topys on some shoes. Icy sidewalks and wet slippery marble floors and stairs at two train stations define my commute for what seems like half the year. Synthetics give noticeably better grip than wet leather in these conditions. And while I have no issue wearing leather soles in the rain, wet leather does wear faster. And wet leather walking across miles of sidewalk strewn with rock salt (again, an almost daily reality for me in winter) wears very quickly indeed.

Topys do need periodic replacement, but they last a surprisingly long time for such a thin piece of material.

I have Wensum soles on my Wigmores and think they are a terrific all-weather solution. The trim sole line is nice, but if wishes were being granted I'd actually like them to be slightly thicker. Not double - I mean about 25% to 30% more. That would elevate the leather upper just that tiny bit more out of the slushy muck and give a firmer feel underfoot.

For the record, I have never ever experienced any of the supposed downsides of full or partial synthetic soles.

ianGP

Reaction score
When I talked to Dean he said the 3pc boot trees are only for bespoke customers so.... do you think they'll make an exception with a group MTO?

I've been looking for similar 3pc boot trees to no avail! The closest 'boot tree' I've come across is La Cordonnerie's from thehangerproject

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have been told that rubber soles are more ideal for foul weather environments. Would be the only reason for me to get a rubber sole. Otherwise, how could I miss out on that leather sole goodness :)

yep. i topied some of my other shoes and they prolong the wear on the ball of your foot where you walk. ideal if you wear a shoe a lot and walk a lot in it. and better grip on sidewalks. and the rubber is not adversely affected by water and snow like leather is.

---

frank those are amazing.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I talked to Dean he said the 3pc boot trees are only for bespoke customers so.... do you think they'll make an exception with a group MTO?

I've been looking for similar 3pc boot trees to no avail! The closest 'boot tree' I've come across is La Cordonnerie's from thehangerproject
I would be surprised if they make an exception. They are fantastic though, for boots that is...

Last edited:

Frank the sheep

Reaction score

I don´t think he will. Bespoke England sold boot trees under the store name but had to stop with this because of the reason Dean told you...only for bespoke.

I have two pair of boot trees that i luckily got before B-E stopped selling them.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's the reason I have Topys on some shoes.  Icy sidewalks and wet slippery marble floors and stairs at two train stations define my commute for what seems like half the year.  Synthetics give noticeably better grip than wet leather in these conditions.  And while I have no issue wearing leather soles in the rain, wet leather does wear faster.  And wet leather walking across miles of sidewalk strewn with rock salt (again, an almost daily reality for me in winter) wears very quickly indeed.

Topys do need periodic replacement, but they last a surprisingly long time for such a thin piece of material.

I have Wensum soles on my Wigmores and think they are a terrific all-weather solution.  The trim sole line is nice, but if wishes were being granted I'd actually like them to be slightly thicker. Not double - I mean about 25% to 30% more.  That would elevate the leather upper just that tiny bit more out of the slushy muck and give a firmer feel underfoot.

For the record, I have never ever experienced any of the supposed downsides of full or partial synthetic soles.

We share the same commute! Have you considered adding toe caps on top of the Topys? Also, have you found a good cobbler in the city?

And speaking of commutes, witnessed a shoving match at Union station today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads