• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WOW! New Trees?!
wow.gif

GG Tumblr

Damn its awesome that they find a new shoetree maker; even JLP doesn't offer their old hollowed shoe trees nowadays...

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's completely irrational that the aesthetics of an accessory that no one will ever see (shoe trees) makes a difference, but it totally does. We are sick people.

Not true. It's similar to your mistress' lingerie; its reserved for my own viewing and utilizing pleasure but not for the public.

Have you seen some of the Herve Brunelle trees made for Delos or JLP? Awesome.

And we used to have a lastmaker/woodworker/shoetree maker on forum but he kinda disappeared...

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would it be possible to do just a plain stitchcap monk without all the broguing that you find on the Mayfair?

Also, G&G are coming over for a trunk show in January, once the MTO design is locked in and the fit is right, would it be possible for Nick or Skoak to take my MTO orders since G&G would already have my fit right?

Gaziano & Girling makes a plain cap toe double monk for Ralph Lauren, so you might not have to go MTO (if the last and color preferences is correct). I think they have vintage oak and black, and on the TG73 last.

A picture from their New York-store, taken from my Instagram:

Here's a pic from when I visited the factory:

Damn its awesome that they find a new shoetree maker; even JLP doesn't offer their old hollowed shoe trees nowadays...

It's actually the legendary Hervé Brunelle, who use to work for John Lobb Paris, who does these hollow shoe trees. He also makes some of G&G:s bespoke lasts nowadays.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gaziano & Girling makes a plain cap toe double monk for Ralph Lauren, so you might not have to go MTO (if the last and color preferences is correct). I think they have vintage oak and black, and on the TG73 last.

A picture from their New York-store, taken from my Instagram:

Here's a pic from when I visited the factory:

It's actually the legendary Hervé Brunelle, who use to work for John Lobb Paris, who does these hollow shoe trees. He also makes some of G&G:s bespoke lasts nowadays.

He is still around?!? I thought he disappeared when JLP switched to a less hollowed trees in recent years. I still have videos of him carving lasts archived.

I will make sure I get those HB trees for my G&G order lol.
Who else does he still work for besides G&G? How did they coordinate with a French maker...

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He is still around?!? I thought he disappeared when JLP switched to a less hollowed trees in recent years. I still have videos of him carving lasts archived.

I will make sure I get those HB trees for my G&G order lol.
Who else does he still work for besides G&G? How did they coordinate with a French maker...

Yeah, around and prospering
1f60a.png
He just went on to work on his own. I think he still does some lasts for JLP:s bespoke service, not sure what other makers he works for though.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's actually the legendary Hervé Brunelle, who use to work for John Lobb Paris, who does these hollow shoe trees.

He is still around?!? I thought he disappeared when JLP switched to a less hollowed trees in recent years.

Yeah, around and prospering
1f60a.png
He just went on to work on his own. I think he still does some lasts for JLP:s bespoke service, not sure what other makers he works for though.

If you look carefully, the G&G shoe tree is identical to the John Lobb (London) "extra hollow" tree (only the hinge is set-in differently).

http://www.johnlobbltd.co.uk/catalo...hoetrees/HHWPextrahollow/HHWPextrahollow2.htm

So, my guess is they are English-made and I have a reasonable suspicion who might make them. Former employees of John Lobb (London) are pretty much in the frame.

As far as I know, Brunelle is alive and well and living (and working) in Troesnes in the Picardie region, some 75 km outside of Paris. He took his web-site down a few years ago, that might have created the rumour he had stopped working.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you look carefully, the G&G shoe tree is identical to the John Lobb (London) "extra hollow" tree (only the hinge is set-in differently).

http://www.johnlobbltd.co.uk/catalo...hoetrees/HHWPextrahollow/HHWPextrahollow2.htm

So, my guess is they are English-made and I have a reasonable suspicion who might make them. Former employees of John Lobb (London) are pretty much in the frame.

As far as I know, Brunelle is alive and well and living (and working) in Troesnes in the Picardie region, some 75 km outside of Paris. He took his web-site down a few years ago, that might have created the rumour he had stopped working.

Pretty similar yes, but these are made by Brunelle. Daniel Wegan at G&G told me that he will make bespoke trees and some bespoke lasts for G&G as from this fall.

If you look even more closely you can see it in the pictures as well. The Brunelle trees are made with a bit thinner walls, the front part goes up higher under the tongue area and they have a hole at the lift part of the heel, while the Lobb-trees are then thicker, shorter upper of the front part and with more of a "hook" handle shape to lift the heel (hard to describe this well in English words for me).

The G&G tree:

Hervé Brunelle tree:

John Lobb London-tree:

Last edited:

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I presume, you are right and the trees are indeed made by Brunelle.

Bit of a shame, that G&G and Brunelle failed to come up with a truly unique design.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i want some of those yellow lasts for shoe trees. :)

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pretty similar yes, but these are made by Brunelle. Daniel Wegan at G&G told me that he will make bespoke trees and some bespoke lasts for G&G as from this fall. If you look even more closely you can see it in the pictures as well. The Brunelle trees are made with a bit thinner walls, the front part goes up higher under the tongue area and they have a hole at the lift part of the heel, while the Lobb-trees are then thicker, shorter upper of the front part and with more of a "hook" handle shape to lift the heel (hard to describe this well in English words for me). The G&G tree: Hervé Brunelle tree: John Lobb London-tree:
Nowadays JLP trees look similar to JLSJ trees. The new G&G doesn't look as good as the older HB trees; the walls are not nearly as thin as the vintage JLP trees I've seen. Regardless, I'll ask for the HB trees for my current order.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spoo shipment hath landed. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads