• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Xancatrius

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking to purchase my first pair of proper leather shoes, and I'm deciding between EGs or G&Gs.

I do need your advice on this, as my feet are rather problematic.

I'm flat footed, and so whenever I place my full weight on my feet, they both tend to cave inwards, due to the lack of arch support.

As such, I have wider, horribly supported feet. Also, after walking for an hour or two in my current leather shoes, my last two toes always end up red and swollen.

I was wondering if you guys would know of any EG lasts that you guys think would be good for my feet, or any recommendations at all regarding how to solve this problem of mine. I don't want to spend 800 pounds on a pair of shoes and have the same problem all over again, I think that defeats the purpose of getting proper well made shoes at all.

Much thanks in advance!

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking to purchase my first pair of proper leather shoes, and I'm deciding between EGs or G&Gs.

I do need your advice on this, as my feet are rather problematic.

I'm flat footed, and so whenever I place my full weight on my feet, they both tend to cave inwards, due to the lack of arch support.

As such, I have wider, horribly supported feet. Also, after walking for an hour or two in my current leather shoes, my last two toes always end up red and swollen.

I was wondering if you guys would know of any EG lasts that you guys think would be good for my feet, or any recommendations at all regarding how to solve this problem of mine. I don't want to spend 800 pounds on a pair of shoes and have the same problem all over again, I think that defeats the purpose of getting proper well made shoes at all.

Much thanks in advance!

Get fitted by G&G themselves. Or EG themselves. You won't find any good online fitting advices especially on Styleforum.

Xancatrius

Reaction score
That's a real pity, given how there are no EG nor GG stockists where I live. The nearest would be the Armory in Hong Kong, will have to try my luck out there then. Or maybe even fly down to London.

Thanks anyways!

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a real pity, given how there are no EG nor GG stockists where I live. The nearest would be the Armory in Hong Kong, will have to try my luck out there then. Or maybe even fly down to London.

Thanks anyways!

What about Saint Crispins? Phillip is at the armoury quite a bit and can modify lasts for you

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The problem is with your feet...it cannot be addressed by the last or the brand name or even a cursory measuring up. Pathologically flat feet is not an issue that can be waved away. It will not go away and it will get worse unless you do something about it now.

Even a bespoke maker can only do so much, but short of a doctor that's what you need to come anywhere close to comfort. A bespoke maker will carve or modify the last to counter the pronation you're experiencing and build a stable arch cookie into the insole such that the arch cannot collapse. All of which needs to be done in your case but often lacking the precision that a medical diagnosis can provide.

A doctor will diagnose your foot and build a precise orthotic that will insert into the shoe and support your foot along the entire length...controlling the way in which the foot moves and flexes during weight bearing and walking while supporting the arch and preventing pronation. An orthotic is really the best solution if you're insistent upon RTW footwear. The catch-22 there is that hardly any RTW footwear will fit both your foot and the orthotic.

Best solution of all is to see a doctor, have an orthotic made and then go get your feet measured...with the insert...at EG or G&G (if they will do it) or, best of all, a bespoke maker.

Last edited:

shawndo

Reaction score

Crazy looking medallion from G&G instagram:

These are actually my pair, en route from Northhampton as I type. Quite excited! At the time, they had recently added laser cutting to their offered features and I wanted something different. It feels a little western to me.
It is actually a standard G&G medalion, except they connected the brogue dots with lines

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics