• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

nmoore82

Reaction score
First weekend in a while the weather has permitted suede.

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Indeed in that combo.

if you haven't seen my recent post, I have the St. James II on the TG73 in Polo suede! I love being able to pull out the suede boys with this great weather we are finally starting to have on the east coast!

nmoore82

Reaction score

if you haven't seen my recent post, I have the St. James II on the TG73 in Polo suede! I love being able to pull out the suede boys with this great weather we are finally starting to have on the east coast!

Yeah I remember seeing your post on the St James polo suedes. I'm a big fan of that combo and would have it at the top of the list for my next suede. The polo colour is simply gorgeous!

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I remember seeing your post on the St James polo suedes. I'm a big fan of that combo and would have it at the top of the list for my next suede. The polo colour is simply gorgeous!

thanks! I love it but I really am falling for your mole suede as well. I think it would look great with a two tone boot using the mole suede for the shaft. Or even in a spectator style wingtip with the suede for the bending points on the vamp.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sort of agree, but TG73 otherwise seems a little too pointy for me. I do like it for the Connaught.

What is the G&G Wingtip single monk called?
Can't find it, but did come across this, which I believe is bespoke:

@Leaves

If you could ever pull a GMTO together for something like that...one can only dream :)

those are mine, bespoke :)

ShoesC

Reaction score
I have a quick question for all the people have experienced with G&G. I tried a number of different brands shoes but can't find anything as a good fit as G&G shoes I have. The current G&G shoes I have is Carlyle with MH71 last in size 6.5 UK. What I like about G&G that I can't find in other shoes so far are the bottom arch support and the contour of the outer foot. It fits so well for my feet. Of course, the leather is superior to other shoes I have but I understand that comes at a price.

So far I tried the following shoes.

C&J shoes - Tetbury, Hallam - they don't have bottom arch support and the contour of the outer foot like G&G. The shoes show too much creases because my feet don't fill in the shoes very well.

Magnanni - I have a size 7 and it runs a bit big. I would need to use an insole for it to fit and for the bottom support. Not high quality and the leather is thin.

Sutor Mantellassi - boot size 7 and it run a bit big on the heel. No much arch support like G&G shoes.

My question is what are other brands that have a similar fit like G&G shoes but cheaper. I don't want to spend that much of money on shoes for daily wear. Since this thread shows a lot of people are wearing G&G shoes. Therefore, I would hope people have some brand suggestions for me to try.

Thanks in advance guys!

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ShoesC I find Cheaney 11525 to be pretty similar to TG73 and Cheaney 205 to be close enough as well. Maybe you want to give them a try.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a quick question for all the people have experienced with G&G. I tried a number of different brands shoes but can't find anything as a good fit as G&G shoes I have. The current G&G shoes I have is Carlyle with MH71 last in size 6.5 UK. What I like about G&G that I can't find in other shoes so far are the bottom arch support and the contour of the outer foot. It fits so well for my feet. Of course, the leather is superior to other shoes I have but I understand that comes at a price.

C&J shoes - Tetbury, Hallam - they don't have bottom arch support and the contour of the outer foot like G&G. The shoes show too much creases because my feet don't fill in the shoes very well.

Magnanni - I have a size 7 and it runs a bit big. I would need to use an insole for it to fit and for the bottom support. Not high quality and the leather is thin.

[COLOR=1F1100]Sutor Mantellassi - boot size 7 and it run a bit big on the heel. No much arch support like G&G shoes.[/COLOR]

My question is what are other brands that have a similar fit like G&G shoes but cheaper. I don't want to spend that much of money on shoes for daily wear. Since this thread shows a lot of people are wearing G&G shoes. Therefore, I would hope people have some brand suggestions for me to try.

Thanks in advance guys!

The best substitute would be EG, although they aren't that much cheaper. Honestly I haven't found many with the same support. Cheaney works just like AS for me. I do find them slightly more generous; however, it's been some time since I wore them.

grc1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First weekend in a while the weather has permitted suede.

Not yet a suede wearer myself, but have my first pair on order - I've heard conventional wisdom say suede is not for foul weather. But then again, I've also seen it writ that it's at least as good, even better, than smooth calf. O hive mind, which line of thought is more correct in your experience?

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not yet a suede wearer myself, but have my first pair on order - I've heard conventional wisdom say suede is not for foul weather. But then again, I've also seen it writ that it's at least as good, even better, than smooth calf. O hive mind, which line of thought is more correct in your experience?

Suede + waterproofing > calf for me. At least in light to moderate rain, suede doesn't look any worse for wear, whereas my calf can have watermarks.

armsignet

Reaction score

C&J shoes - Tetbury, Hallam - they don't have bottom arch support and the contour of the outer foot like G&G. The shoes show too much creases because my feet don't fill in the shoes very well.

Sutor Mantellassi - boot size 7 and it run a bit big on the heel. No much arch support like G&G shoes.

Thanks in advance guys!

Carmina fit is not similar, but some styles are. At 1/3 the price (from Skoak), I think Carmina is a good compromise between price and style.

Compare these to G&G Sinatra or EG Newbury:

http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/collections/carmina/products/carmina-whole-cut-in-black

Or these to G&G Burnham:

http://www.shop.carminashoemaker.com/articulo.asp?idarticulo=3465224

Or these to G&G oxfords:

http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/collections/carmina/products/carmina-modern-classic-in-brown

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads