1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. tdes81

tdes81 Senior member

Maybe one day we can get another Zug... :) I'd love a shearling-lined zug/suede Galway.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  2. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Unfortunately the rarity or the fact that its not easy to get at this point kind of adds to the feeling that its somewhat special if you have one or if you can't get one.

Of course they used to make them in this leather not too long ago, so I'm not real sure how rare they are.

I believe it's a much better leather than most for a true country boot, and I would certainly consider getting more shoes or boots in this same leather if they were to chose to do so in the future..

3. manasdirge

manasdirge Senior member

any difference between GG RTW and MTO shoes? local retailer claim that theirs are MTO GG and are hand welted, but I know GG have RTW lines and may not be hand welted? anyone can tell the difference here?
    thanks a ton!

4. striker

striker Senior member

As far as I'm aware from their road shows, only bespoke shoes are handwelted.

1 person likes this.
  5. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Your local retailer is poorly educated then unfortunately. I hope it's a junior sales man newbie mistake. Gaziano & Girling ready to wear and made to order are what is often referred to as bench made, so although there is a lot of manual labor involved in the production they are actually machine welted. There is no difference in production technique for RTW and MTO although MTO seems to have a slightly better finish most of the time. The only shoes from G&G that are hand welted are the bespoke ones and these start at about £4000.

I know G&G experimented with making a line that was hand welted, kind of between the normal MTO or Deco line and bespoke but I think it's stuck at Beta stage (or even Alpha).

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    4 people like this.
  6. mw313

mw313 Senior member

exactly!

7. manasdirge

manasdirge Senior member

Thanks guys! you are most informative, although I thought at the price of GG (above $1000 here), at least the soles should be hand-stitched? I did read some posts regarding machine-welted sole as inferior to hand-welted, especially in goodyear welt?
    and one more thing to clarify, that "retailer" was not official affiliated, and at best a reseller or some kind, so that may explain why they don't know well about the brand.

8. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Yeah, it means your shoes are fake.

9. Leaves

Sounds dodgy. I'd shoot G&G an email and ask them if the place is an official retailer of them. If not, I'd stay clear of that place. The vast majority of all premium shoes are machine welted. For hand welted ready-to-wear shoes you should look into Enzo Bonafè, Vass or Saint Crispin's. But this is a different discussion, use the forum search engine to look into those makers.

2 people like this.
  10. manasdirge

manasdirge Senior member

already checked the official site and they are not on the list of retailers so the best scenario is that they bought low somewhere (they won't share with me of course) then selling at whatever profit they get, the worse is that they are selling fakes, anyway I think I'll steer clear.

11. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

not all of the retailers are listed on the G&G website...

I think you just have an SA that is a ding-dong and lying to make a sale or legitimately doesn't know anything...

never heard of G&G fakes fwiw..

12. Leaves

Yes there are G&G fakes but I think it's unusual. I saw a site a couple of years back that I alerted Tony about, he confirmed they were fakes. it was actually quite easy to spot, if you are into G&G at least.

But it might just be a bad sales rep too of course.

1 person likes this.
  13. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Senior member

Are G and Gs fakes? Could any please upload a pic? I am curious.

What would be the next... Ferrari fakes with 4 cilinder engines= ( oh wait, this already exist)

On the Neapolitan tie lab i cooperate was an inspection since all the tie labs were suspects to do fake Marinella ties ( who the rtw ones are made by machine with an average quality while ours and most of the inspectioned are completely by hand, so would lose money delivering a better product than the imitated in case the fake denunce was for real...

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  14. Sammy - Ascot

Sammy - Ascot Well-Known Member

Similar to high end watch forum like Rolex TRF, if you can attach quality photos, respected members here can tell you if they are fake or not.
    As mentioned by Leaves, for hand welted ready-to-wear shoes you should look into Enzo Bonafè, Vass or Saint Crispin's.
    Like everything in life, if it's too good to be true it probably is.
    Keep clear.

15. Leaves

Did you actually read the post?

16. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

That has never stop him from going on a forum rant.

2 people like this.
  17. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Senior member

Yes, with the broken screen of my mobile.

18. Leaves

Gaziano & Girling Isham in "New" Vintage Chestnut, in need of some polish to be honest. Sozzi cotton socks. NSM trousers.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  19. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Wow. Good taste, as usual.

20. dddrees

dddrees Senior member