• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The wear on the fiddle backs is probably from the chair when seated. I tend to rub that part of my shoes on the base of my chair when sitting down. I doubt very much it is from walking.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The wear on the fiddle backs is probably from the chair when seated. I tend to rub that part of my shoes on the base of my chair when sitting down. I doubt very much it is from walking.

I was thinking the same thing. On the other hand, the wear pattern is further towards the heel than I would like to see...might be that the shoe is a little long for the foot (just speculating) --heel to ball.

--

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i do the same. but i have noticed that i often step up on curbs and stairs with that part of the shoe as well. need to stop that.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the end of day, fiddleback waist can be resole. I can smell the dissenting smoke from the exhibitionist.

JonathanCWalker

Reaction score
Im thinking this pair needs to be ordered. Whats everyones thoughts on the MH71 compared to the TG73 all my shoes are TG73 so far.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Im thinking this pair needs to be ordered. Whats everyones thoughts on the MH71 compared to the TG73 all my shoes are TG73 so far.
Great looking shoe, sorry no experience with the Last.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of boots in MH71, both are very nice, TG73 may be a little bit more chiseled.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i have both, and like them both very much. i would recommend you try the 71 just to have variety. i think that shoe will look great on either last.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have contemplated GG models I would like, but have trouble deciding on last preference. Are there certain models that look better in certain lasts?

Every time I decide on DG70 or MH71 for a certain model, I see a TG73 version that looks amazing. Is there a model that doesn't look great on last TG73?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it lies on the difference between Derby or Oxford laced design. Emphasis should be on the fit and not the look.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have contemplated GG models I would like, but have trouble deciding on last preference. Are there certain models that look better in certain lasts?
Every time I decide on DG70 or MH71 for a certain model, I see a TG73 version that looks amazing. Is there a model that doesn't look great on last TG73?

im very partial to the 71 and 73, but in my mind, either casual shoes, or very classic dress shoes, do better in the rounder lasts, and the more edgy models do better in a more square last.

for example the hayes model posted above, or the decos, or the gable, look better imo because they are on a square last. where as something like the rothschild, or the regent, do beter on the rounder lasts. and the models that fall in between, can really go either way.

just how i see it.

Last edited:

Saratorial_Splender

Reaction score

I personaly prefer the TG73 for a modern and sleek look. The DG70 is a next runner up. The MH71 is conservative for my taste, but it looks good on the example above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads