• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the rotation. Liar indeed
wink.gif
Sorry missed this the other day, very nice!!!

Thanks again guys! I really will try to refrain from buying another oxford
shog[1].gif

grc1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really will try to refrain from buying another oxford 
shog%5B1%5D.gif

^ Now that **** right there - that's funny! :rotflmao: Hoo boy, that belly laugh really made my day.

So seriously - what's the next oxford style you're thinking of? I'm not seeing any St James II's in your stable. Which is tantamount to heresy.

Last edited:

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I know. I've had my eye on the St. James, but the right combo/deal hasn't hit yet...I know it's lurking though. The more I look at the espresso Strand on Leffot's site, the more I like it. Just not $1500 "like".

On another note, I never understood people having sizing issues with the MH71. Mine were always perfect. Along comes the Kensington though, and it is noticeably more snug than my other 9.5Es. The VR is so nice, I'll probably still just try to break it in.

grc1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ yeah, I've noticed that while most of my 9.5Es fit pretty consistently, I have one pair that is definitely narrower than the others - same deco last. And I have a KN14 in the same size that is hell on the heels. I'm going to get them stretched to alleviate the problem.

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did, just wanted to help out on the Sandringham I started.
smile.gif

wow! that is very nice of you. I may go for a pair like that eventually, even though it is similar to my Alderley, but it probably would have to be another leather shade or leather type all together.

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again guys! I really will try to refrain from buying another oxford
shog%5B1%5D.gif

^ Now that **** right there - that's funny!
rotflmao.gif
Hoo boy, that belly laugh really made my day.

So seriously - what's the next oxford style you're thinking of? I'm not seeing any St James II's in your stable. Which is tantamount to heresy.

Agreed! St. James II is a must for lovers of oxfords! They are my all time favorite oxford, especially on the TG73 last. They even look great in my large size, so I think anyone who loves oxfords should take a shot at them.

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a black cap-toe in sight
musicboohoo[1].gif

You made some great choices here!!!!!!!!!

Unless someone works in such a formal environment, I don't think that most men need more than one or two black dress shoes anyway. The browns and oxblood/burgundy families are so much more versatile and cover so many more shades. The blues and greys can be great choices too for a fun shoe to spice things up.

Faster

Reaction score

You made some great choices here!!!!!!!!!

Unless someone works in such a formal environment, I don't think that most men need more than one or two black dress shoes anyway. The browns and oxblood/burgundy families are so much more versatile and cover so many more shades. The blues and greys can be great choices too for a fun shoe to spice things up.

I feel this is all based on what city you worked in. When I worked in London, black cap toes or black oxfords ruled, if anything brown/burgundy were frowned upon. In the U.S. Is the opposite
My experience

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel this is all based on what city you worked in. When I worked in London, black cap toes or black oxfords ruled, if anything brown/burgundy were frowned upon. In the U.S. Is the opposite
My experience

Of course! In the US that is true.

I have heard about the mainly black shoes in the UK as well as some other european countries, but thankfully it is not the case in the US. I feel that we can do so much more with the browns and burgundies.

there is only so much that we can do with black, even if some black shoes have more depth than others.

grc1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Of course! In the US that is true. 

I have heard about the mainly black shoes in the UK as well as some other european countries, but thankfully it is not the case in the US. I feel that we can do so much more with the browns and burgundies. 

Depends on what line you work in and - more importantly - how indispensable you are. Yes, black is still very much dominant here in London, but personally, I think it's more about guys not really caring that much and sticking with what they're used to, rather than a proactive stance against non-black for fear of denigrating their careers. Brown, burgundy and even aubergine are becoming a dime a dozen amongst the finance City boys in London nowadays. And I've yet to feel excluded because I like navy or green shoes.

That said, finally adding black to my rotation in the next few months. Watch this space.

jamiemcp

Reaction score
I was in the City last week, and as usual I spent a considerable amount of time walking around looking down (at peoples shoes) and there are far more brown shoes than even 12 months ago, admittedly it was a nice sunny day J.

At the moment I have 3 black and two brown (both G&G) in my collection and have to say the brown get worn more and more, and I am thinking of venturing out in to something a bit more colourful. I was out for lunch with a client and we spent most of the time discussing high end mens shoes!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads