• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***GARMENT LABEL EXPERTS NEEDED --- Was This House Label Suit Made by Zegna?

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Real Zegna labels vary with the country they get sold into. I've learned french and spanish words from Zegna labels
laugh.gif
I don't think you can tell anything one way or the other. Zegna will contract make for other people. If you pay enough. They don't put their label on the contract stuff. It isn't always up to the normal stuff. All it means is the garment saw the inside of a Zegna factory.

I don't wish to start any argument about this, but I've known Zegna to make for several brands, but NEVER to use another type of label too far from the ones they use on their own products. Would you please provide a link to an example Zegna made product without the Zegna label (just for my education)? Many thanks Clint

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Animal Thug
Maybe the claim that this suit was made with Zegna fabric confused the OP?
confused.gif

No, I asked the salesman (who I believe is actually the owner) multiple times. He always responded along the lines of: "yeah, Zegna MAKES these suits for us."

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Animal Thug
OK, then ask him to see an invoice from Zegna.

Not worth it. We know he was not being forthright. Besides, Barbera and Burberry Prorsum may damage my wallet today on Gilt. I could use that $470.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whether or not it is Zegna aside, the fact that it very clearly says "100% wool" yet your "salesman/owner" claims it is a wool/cashmere blend is reason enough to GTFO.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When a label goes out of its way to say "hand made Italian suit", that should be a final warning to run away.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clintonf
I don't wish to start any argument about this, but I've known Zegna to make for several brands, but NEVER to use another type of label too far from the ones they use on their own products.

Would you please provide a link to an example Zegna made product without the Zegna label (just for my education)?

Many thanks

Clint

But how would we know? If they made stuff for others.

1) The other company might not want a Zegna label on their products. How many of the designer products are currently made by Zegna?

2) If the quality the buyer wanted was low enough Zegna wouldn't want it's label on the product.

clintonf

Reaction score

1) The other company might not want a Zegna label on their products. How many of the designer products are currently made by Zegna?

2) If the quality the buyer wanted was low enough Zegna wouldn't want it's label on the product.

I thought that you were talking from experience of this. As I've said, the designers that I've seen Zegna make for (off the top of my head, Dunhill, Valentino, Tom Ford) use their own labels.

I've never been to the Zegna factory, so I cannot confirm this. However, it seems unlikely that these big fashion houses would choose to leave the Zegna labelling in them and yet unknown brands could choose to have their labelling replace the Zegna ones.

Just my thoughts. If you could provide evidence to the contrary, I would welcome it.

To the OP, I cannot confirm what I've just written. However, there would be no way that I would be dropping nearly $500 on a "Zegna" suit without prove that it was Zegna. I'd take my chances on eBay before doing that.

Cheers

Clint

asdf

Reaction score

I think you make be confusing the visible label that says "Zegna" with the tag hidden inside the pocket detailing composition, etc. The question and conversation is about the pocket tag, not the "Zegna" name (or lack thereof) on display inside the jacket.

Could be wrong though.

Rick's Tailoring

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This is not a zegna suit. The maker occasionally uses zegna fabric. And $470 is not a bad price, but claiming it retails for $2350 is absurd. I would say the work involved is in the $800-$1000 range, at full retail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads