• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-Star, Raw Denim & "Intro"

Presto87

Reaction score
Hey guys, been browsing these forums for about 6 months now, first post though ... I've learnt a hell of alot - but living in Australia I don't have access to many of the brands that you recommend ... Allen Edmonds etc. and all the japanese jeans brands that are posted. I'm not really a huge fan of buying stuff second hand or online. I know that most of you are going to say that the net is where the best deals are ... but yea, quite paronoid about internet security :p

Anyways, with the intro out of the way ... my question (and yes I have searched and read many, many threads - and STILL don't get it):

Ok so only since finding this forum I have started purchasing "designer" denim. I own a pair of Wranglers (fairly light wash), Lee (darker wash with a heavy 'bleach' of white down the thighs and knees, and a tear on one knee), and my latest a pair of G-Star (dark, dark wash - as in, when worn at night, the material doesn't look like denim).

I've noticed that many here absolutely HATE G-star jeans, but can someone please tell me why? Like I mean I know I haven't had a pair of Nudies or Samurai's (is thats what there called?) to compare them too ... but I personally love my G-stars wayyy more than any of my other jeans (non-designer included) ... the fit is great, and love the look. Probably sound so silly to most of you guys, but I'm not really into fading my jeans, "personalising" them with whiskers etc. I like them dark, and just the way they are right now. The style I am trying out atm, dark wash jeans with long sleeve dress shirt (sleeves rolled up) OR a polo, and my pair of brown boots.

Holy crap, just realised the length of this post, SORRY! but for those of you that have actually read this far, are my dark wash G-Stars raw denim??? Thanx for ALL comments ....

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
For what ever reason, G-Star calls their line "raw" regardless if it's pre-distressed or not. Your pair is simply one-wash that may or may not bleed (I'd probably be inclined to say they don't or only very minimally as that's not the manufacturer's intended purpose). They're not "raw" in the sense that they're labeled one size but actually measure larger so that you have to shrink them in a wash.

Because you never seen the kinds of jeans favored around here in person, it's easy to assume that we're only hyping brands that most people wouldn't know about. It's hard to gauge construction or quality online from only a few pictures much like figuring out the taste of a cake by reading its ingredients.

You can buy a pair of 5ep's, Rag & Bone's, or Acne's if you're looking to keep your denim dark as they're the most fade-resistent brands around.

zacharydschroeder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Because you never seen the kinds of jeans favored around here in person, it's easy to assume that we're only hyping brands that most people wouldn't know about.

I live in a town of about 300,000 and I have never seen any Imperials, Acne's, Nudies, Sam's, 5ep, etc. I've seen one pair of A.P.C's and what looked like a pair of lvc's. I'd say it probably doesn't help that my town of 300,000 is in Nebraska, though.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still think it's weird that a love of allen edmonds is one of the first things styleforum users take away from the site. Semi-hipsters all over the place wearing bankers' shoes.

If you want to keep your gstars dark, dry cleaning rather than laundering may help.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just the name of the brand "G-Star Raw" is stupid. Kinda like "Skechers Sport"

Slamdog

Reaction score
I got a pretty nice pair of G-Star raws, but they arent big baggy rapper jeans like a lot of them are. They're slim bootcut. I'd keep them if I was smaller, but im going to be putting them on eBay this weekend.

razuel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
I still think it's weird that a love of allen edmonds is one of the first things styleforum users take away from the site. Semi-hipsters all over the place wearing bankers' shoes.

If you want to keep your gstars dark, dry cleaning rather than laundering may help.

What's wrong with allen edmonds?

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the original Elwood in "RAW" denim when it first came out about 10 years ago. I bought it a Maxfield here in Los Angeles... it's now a collector's item. The workmanship and quality is very good. I bought the 10th Anniversary Elwood and the denim is not the same but the fit ROCKS! I like G-Star but compared to other Japanese denim, it's an entirely different ballgame.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
G-Star is a wannabe Diesel. and Diesel is nothing to be emulating these days.

phaedrus

Reaction score
I thinkthe earlier G-star stuff was actually raw denim, almost had a shiny texture to it, very indigo. This would've been about 10 years back, when they ran ads in The Face magazine.

Presto87

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
For what ever reason, G-Star calls their line "raw" regardless if it's pre-distressed or not. Your pair is simply one-wash that may or may not bleed (I'd probably be inclined to say they don't or only very minimally as that's not the manufacturer's intended purpose). They're not "raw" in the sense that they're labeled one size but actually measure larger so that you have to shrink them in a wash.

Because you never seen the kinds of jeans favored around here in person, it's easy to assume that we're only hyping brands that most people wouldn't know about. It's hard to gauge construction or quality online from only a few pictures much like figuring out the taste of a cake by reading its ingredients.

You can buy a pair of 5ep's, Rag & Bone's, or Acne's if you're looking to keep your denim dark as they're the most fade-resistent brands around.

ok, so does "raw" mean that you have to wear them out a bit, and then have them INTENTIONALLY shrink in the wash?? and I know that although labelled G-Star RAW - all there jeans aren't actually raw because I have seen faded pairs in magazines and in-store .... BUT given my pair are really dark, couldn't they coincidentally also be raw???

and thanx a heap for mentioning the brands that are fade-resistant, I'll keep note of them, just in case I'm ever in US or UK.

Presto87

Reaction score
another thing .... noone has mentioned why I have noticed a trend of people on here not liking G-Star's? like obviously compared to the brands you have available they don't compare ... but if you only had like Lee, Levi, G-Star and a few more "basic designer" brands, would you go for them??? why/why not?

oh and just remembered, I came across these last night (hopefully the link works), I know that this is more appropriate for "Men's Clothing", but given we're on topic .... ok for some reason the link actually isn't working atm ... but if you can go to the G-Star homepage>footwear>dress .... the black & white pair? hopefully you've found them ... any good? or extremely ugly? don't hold back on comments :p

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Presto87
ok, so does "raw" mean that you have to wear them out a bit, and then have them INTENTIONALLY shrink in the wash?? and I know that although labelled G-Star RAW - all there jeans aren't actually raw because I have seen faded pairs in magazines and in-store .... BUT given my pair are really dark, couldn't they coincidentally also be raw???

and thanx a heap for mentioning the brands that are fade-resistant, I'll keep note of them, just in case I'm ever in US or UK.

Truly raw jeans mean that you should soak them first to shrink them down to their tagged size before wearing. Some people prefer to not soak or wash them at all, ever. I sincerely doubt G-Star ever came out with a genuinely "raw" or "Shrink-To-Fit" model of their jeans. They're just dark jeans, period.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads