• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FrankCowperwood's Best of 2017 Streetwear & Denim

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
:cheers:

you know.

hands.gif

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frank, do you have Ooe’s as well? If so, which would you prefer or is it to close to call?

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love those Big Johns. I don’t have any of their jeans but I have two pairs of their trousers and the rise and fit is perfect for me.
Wish you could still find them easily.
Big John jeans are my favorite. Love the higher rise.

I picked up their Reg. Straight KOAIA from NMWA. I wanted the black Kuro2 but NMWA was sold out in my size.

Finally found them on Denimio who ordered them directly from Big John's for me.

Try Denimio.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Frank, do you have Ooe’s as well? If so, which would you prefer or is it to close to call?

OK, so quick thoughts:

OAs are really perfect in every way that's not meant to make them shout "I'M WEARING PREMIUM JAPANESE DENIM FOR THE SICK FADZ"

Not that you wouldn't get sick fadz from them if you want, but they are supremely well made with beautiful fabric and classic cuts and so they are really understated.

The Big John Rares, aren't really in your face either. The fabric is definitely more interesting than the OAs (lovely weight... a little heavier than the OAs I have, but not monster denim and there's something about the weave that's just really smooth in a good way), and there are some really thoughtful details (the blue deerskin patch on the pair I have, the smooth domed rivets).

Both are a pleasure to wear. I wouldn't get rid of one to wear the other, and they'd be some of the last to go if I were clearing denim out of my closet.

So in traditional SF fashion you need both. Kidding, but I don't think you can go wrong if you find a pair of either in the right circumstances.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, so quick thoughts:

OAs are really perfect in every way that's not meant to make them shout "I'M WEARING PREMIUM JAPANESE DENIM FOR THE SICK FADZ"

Not that you wouldn't get sick fadz from them if you want, but they are supremely well made with beautiful fabric and classic cuts and so they are really understated.

The Big John Rares, aren't really in your face either. The fabric is definitely more interesting than the OAs (lovely weight... a little heavier than the OAs I have, but not monster denim and there's something about the weave that's just really smooth in a good way), and there are some really thoughtful details (the blue deerskin patch on the pair I have, the smooth domed rivets).

Both are a pleasure to wear. I wouldn't get rid of one to wear the other, and they'd be some of the last to go if I were clearing denim out of my closet.

So in traditional SF fashion you need both. Kidding, but I don't think you can go wrong if you find a pair of either in the right circumstances.

Thanks,based on that I’m l Abington toward Big Johns.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I have to agree 100% with @FrankCowperwood on this. I purchased mine in Japan, on a rack with Momotaro,Warehouse,Denime, and all the other brands. and this is the point we are both getting at (i suspect)

if you want jeans that fit, have no gimmicks,can handle being worn and washed.dirty, greased up,an keep their color?
-The Rare's.
These are the ones i walked out of the store with. 2 pairs in fact. one pair was traded to member.

i have Momo x Ultraman's gathering dust,traded away my ironhearts (Didn't like them at all) Full Count's at the back of the closet,Sugarcanes haven't been worn i months.

A lot of us go through the "Denim phase". and when you come out of the other side?

Big John
Warehouse
Denime
Evisu No2

Work wear must be 2 things. Comfortable, and Durable. no comfort? no bueno. :cool2:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads