• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For those of you that wear oxfords, wingtips, brogues casually.... help?

familyman

Reaction score
It's easier to wear a more formal shoe (wingtip) with something more formal on top like a button up shirt or sweater or tweed coat. When you get into trouble is when you put on a pair of wingtips and a tee. Seems to look wrong. The jeans are pretty neutral in this case. Look at the WYAWT pictures where it's done well and you'll see what I mean. Coherency within an outfit is a good thing.

qpzil

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to casually-worn dress shoes myself, so this thread has helped a lot. Personally, I like burgandy shoes with jeans, so it's all personal preference. If you wear what you like, and wear it like you think it's the best outfit ever put together, nobody will question it. It's all confidence.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I wear wingtips w/jeans a lot.

imo, longwing bluchers look better than oxford style

the difference?

here's a longwing blucher style, by Florsheim (the Imperial Kenmoor, an American classic)
17955-p.jpg

and a closedlacing oxford version
6994-p.jpg

and the more beat up the better, so def look at thrift stores or ebay for a good condition used pair

vvoc

Reaction score
hmmmm the oxford style seems a bit more sleek, i like that more i think.. as for the whole beat up thing everyone keeps mentioning...after actually purchasing the shoes, what steps should i take in caring for them? should i clean/wax/polish and put shoe trees in or just treat it like a pair of sneakers (i just wear my sneakers, im sure others take great care though)?

qpzil

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Florsheim (the Imperial Kenmoor, an American classic)
Never seen these, but they're beautiful. I may pick up a pair in wine... thanks for the heads up!

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm fond of oxfords, derbys, and especially monkstraps with jeans. As j stated, ones with a little heft work better.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Re: beat up wingtips....me, I keep mine shiny and new looking, but that's my thing. For most wearers of wingtips/jeans, I'd guess that a more worn look is preferred over a polished/clean look, but that's up to your preferences. I wear both styles with jeans, but the oxford style seems more suited to trousers than jeans

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The more beat up the better, but still take care of them like you would with any other good pair.

I have several different types of wingtips from Nordstrom's Toscana shoe line that I wear exclusively with my jeans. They've antiqued well and I get lots of compliments on them.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you want them to end up looking Varvatos-distressed, then don't do anything to care for them. Shoe trees will prevent that curled up sole that some people want. Wax will protect the leather from damage, to some degree, especially from water.

Personally, I polish and tree all my leather non-sneaker shoes except my driving shoes (trees would stretch them out). Sneakers I only clean up if they get gross looking.

vvoc

Reaction score
hmmm i dont know if i want that curled up toe look, this is real complicated lol, lots of options

whats everyones consensus on the shoe trees being used? wax and polish as well?

also i was thinking of polishing them with black polish to give it a darker more antiqued look? would that work, or am i totally off base here?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
if you want a more interesting antique look don't use black, try blue or reds (depending on the base leather color), also keep in mind that antiqueing with polish doesnt work too well if the shoe is make of cheap correct grain (polished) leather...and in my book shoe trees are a must

vvoc

Reaction score
no this pair isnt made from correct grain, and the shoes color is burgandy... hmmm wow really this is so difficult, there are so many like options and things i can possibly do...

does anyone have any examples of what a burgandy shoe with different color polishes look like...this could be interesting

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what id do, and what im looking for myself, is find some cordovan and then not bother with them excepth just wearing them.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vvoc
hmmmm the oxford style seems a bit more sleek, i like that more i think.. as for the whole beat up thing everyone keeps mentioning...after actually purchasing the shoes, what steps should i take in caring for them? should i clean/wax/polish and put shoe trees in or just treat it like a pair of sneakers (i just wear my sneakers, im sure others take great care though)?

Don't do that! Show your "kicks" (is that the right slang
smile.gif
?) some respect and TLC and in return and they will patinate and age graqcefully rather than end up looking like disposable overpriced designer beaten up shoes. They will not last as long and they will eventually look like utter crap. The only shoes I don't polish regularly and use shoe trees are the ones used for auto and yard work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads