• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For those of you that wear oxfords, wingtips, brogues casually.... help?

vvoc

Reaction score
well the sneakers i treat poorly are basically, jack purcells, pf flyers, chucks and vans... as for my chelsea boots and driving mocs, those are shoetreed and well cared for... im not too sure about having shoetrees in the driving moc, theyre suede, yes or no?

btw what is a reasonable price for a j&m wingtip? thanks!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vvoc
btw what is a reasonable price for a j&m wingtip? thanks!

honestly, nowhere near full retail...no more than $50 new would be a good barometer, pref closer to $15 used on ebay

unless you are getting the higher end $265+ retail model, they are mostly made with pretty poor correct grain leather

quid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
If I were you I would pimp them at parties and such, just do it for yourself **** what everyone thinks.
thats what im talkin' about.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone know any nicely styled monk straps that i could probably find for around $40-50? used is not a problem... im looking for a pair i can wear casually...but cant seem to find a nice one... thanks!
AE monkstraps do come up on eBay occasionally, just not often. You won't see Mora's for even double that, but used Garners and Concords should be an option. I think most of the dress shoe gluers like Nunn Bush and Kenneth Cole also make monkstraps.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow those are perfect thanks...what color do you guys recommend for them? tan, dark brown, black or a single strap in oxblood?

dark brown's most versatile. though an oxblood monk would be downright badass.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol ya... id want a oxblood double monkstrap, but apparently they only come in darkbrown, tan and black....darkbrown it is...maybe i can antique it to get a redish hue to it? any tips for that would be great btw....
its easier to antique to darker tones. Get the tan shoes, and then get some merlot polish (the cream kind gets more pigment into the leather than the wax variety) and then just polish them again and again and again. To get nice contrast and depth with antiquing, you should use different colors. darker on the heel and toe, cordovan maybe, and lighter on the body, maybe a "saddle" or some mid brown. Alternate between colors and mix it up a bunch.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so you recommend on getting the tan pair and antiquing it rather than the brown, because of the better contrast, right?

I just think that if you are looking for red tones, tan serves as a better "canvas" to start from.

vvoc

Reaction score
icic... makes sense i guess, itll prob show red more...i still dont quite understand how you EXACTLY antique a shoe...like the step by step...once i receive the shoes (both the monkstraps and the pair of wingtips discussed earlier) i'll look for a tutorial (im sure there is one on this site)... hopefully i dont mess up, but i guess u can always polish off if you do.... learning experience lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads