• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foo shops for a Japanese knife

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't think the EP system is really workable with a single bevel knife. Which, in any case, are very easy to do on a stone.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Ordered 6 different stones last week from mold master tools, including the fancy "PC" stone. Hopefully those come soon and I can give them a shot.

I don't have any fine polishing stones, but I'll get there.

god damn it, I wish I ordered some finer stones. It was a rapid transition from "lets just get a good edge back" to "how perfect can I get this?"

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll report back on the PC 1200 stone (which I think has some additives that give a finish similar to a 10k chosera).

I have used the 1500 that comes with the cheap set and it is not all that fine (or at least the compound doesn't leave much of a smooth finish...)

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
the finest I have is the Edge Pro 400, which is apparently around a Japanese 2000. Now I want the equivalent of a 5K and an 8K.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only 400? That's definitely not enough. By this chart, a 400 EP stone (rated on FEPA-F since they don't list the 400 specifically) would come in at under 1k japanese measurements. The 400 would probably be your *starting* stone for basic maintenance.

Try the stones that came with it--they work fine as long as you aren't talking about super hard steels. The "1500" isn't super fine, but it should be a lot finer than the EP 400.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
they're the same 2 stones that you get in the Apex 1. The 400 felt a lot finer than the 1500 the kit originally came with.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, you can make your life easier if you have a couple of shaft collars (aka drill stop collars) that fit the rods. You can put one on the very end of the sliding rod so you cant pull it past the stone end, and you can put another between the stone and the pivot if you are worried about pushing too far. This makes up for one of the design differences between the inspired model and the real thing.

Then you can put one on the height adjustment shaft just like people do with the real edge pro. This allows you to change between different thickness stones (e.g. worn out stones and new stones) without having to reset the angle using the sharpie trick:
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

And for amusement's sake...the company selling Shaft Collars on amazon is called Climax Metal.

edit: don't quote me on the 5/16 size, that might not be right for the clone. You can also use a binder clip if you have space and are careful not to move it.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
the one "accessory" I'd go for is a super strong magnet for under the main tray. Holding the knives in place can get annoying.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Magnet would make it easier...do you just glue it on?

Dammit, I ordered the wrong 600 stone. Somehow ended up with the CS instead of the CS-HD. Not worth trying to exchange since it cost less than shipping. It should work fine...just dish fast and thus not last very long.

The 220 AM-K should be the same stone EP used for 220 at some point.
Figured I would try the AS-9 120 since people complain that the EP 120 sucks
The 400/600/1000 were all supposed to be CS-HD which people say are big improvements over the EP stones (I think they use the AS-9 stones for 600/1000 and something else at 400).
The PC 1200 feels way smoother than the inspired "1500", I'm excited to give it a try.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry if this is obvious, but is there a general cooking thread? I know about the "What Did You Eat Last Night" thread, but not sure if there's a place for general cooking discussions.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
that's the main one. There's also a thread for random food questions, food ingredient Appreciation, and general "happy" food stuff. But the dinner thread is where most of the action is.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The new stones are great.

The CS-HD stones seem to cut fast, have good feedback, and don't wear down quickly. I'm quite happy with them
The PC stone is pretty hard and I could see it suffering from loading problems. But it might not matter since you only need a few strokes with it after the 1000 stone so you could do many knives before needing to rub it on another stone to get it to wear down...we'll see if it breaks in anymore. Finish is pretty fine, but is not going to win any mirror polish beauty contests. Could move to a strop if that kind of finish were important.

The mis-ordered CS stone unfortunately sucks. Cuts fine but is too soft and will need constant flattening. I don't think I am even going to bother trying to use it up...just order the CS-HD version to replace it.

Last edited:

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yep came with a case and instructions (though I just went to youtube for better instructions). No QC issues so far. Based on reviews, I tossed their stones and bought some made by Edge Pro. I don't have any fine polishing stones, but I'll get there.

v interesting, could you link to the one you bought? i might have to give this a whirl. also if anyone has a link for recommended stoned would be much appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads