1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Honing Japanese Chef's Knives

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by KJT, Dec 5, 2009.

1. robin

robin Senior member

2. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

Here is my take....
    I mostly agree with you but very few people finish their edges to finer than 1000 grit equivalent and for everyone else a ceramic rod makes for an improvement over the standard "medium" grooved steel.

3. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

I mostly agree with you but very few people finish their edges to finer than 1000 grit equivalent and for everyone else a ceramic rod makes for an improvement over the standard "medium" grooved steel.

Yes, a true statement! But if anyone is to invest in a japanese knife, one should definitely consider learning some sharpening skills. I tell you, there is such a calming quality to sharpening a knife. I find it to be such a great stress relief.

4. GrillinFool

GrillinFool Senior member

I have one of those glued whetstones. Works fantastic... Although for the OP, depending on the damage, I would recommend sending it off and having it professionally sharpened.

And as bad as the damage seems it could be worse. Had a Halloween party at my place and someone accidentally tossed my Shun Santoku in the trash. Gone. My fave knife of my 5 shuns..

5. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

And as bad as the damage seems it could be worse. Had a Halloween party at my place and someone accidentally tossed my Shun Santoku in the trash. Gone. My fave knife of my 5 shuns..
    WTF? Find that person and de-friend on Facebook NOW!!!!![​IMG]

6. KJT

KJT Senior member

I have one of those glued whetstones. Works fantastic... Although for the OP, depending on the damage, I would recommend sending it off and having it professionally sharpened.

It's crossed my mind - I very well may send it back to Shun for a free sharpening. But I figured this would be a good chance to learn to do it myself. I've wanted to learn it for a while but frankly was scared to mess up a good knife. Now's my chance!

This is a Shun Santoku actually...

7. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

Yes, a true statement! But if anyone is to invest in a japanese knife, one should definitely consider learning some sharpening skills. I tell you, there is such a calming quality to sharpening a knife. I find it to be such a great stress relief.
    You don't have to tell me. Besides my own, I have to sharpen all of my friends' and family's knives. It's not too much work since I selected and bought their knives for them. [​IMG]

8. MikkoN

MikkoN Senior member

Here.

Check out other vids from this guy too. Very educational.

I use 1000/6000 grit combination water stone and ceramic "steel" to keep my knives sharp.
    Personally I do not need anything else. Removing nicks using 1000 grit is a bit time consuming, but can be done.
    All my knives are japanese mid-level high-carbon blades.
    Nothing fancy, but good enough for me...and far superior to most Japanese knives usually available outside of Japan.

9. KJT

KJT Senior member

Thanks for the videos. I've learned how to sharpen pretty well since posting this, but it's always helpful to see the technique.

10. SField

SField Senior member

11. KJT

KJT Senior member

I think that was a spam post, as it ressurrected a 2 year old thread.