• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First time to the Tailor (hemming, and other alterations), tips, tricks, advice?

effang

Reaction score
Hello, going to the tailor today. I have a few questions.

1.\tAre prices negotiable? If you bring multiple items to work on, does it get cheaper? Or in general are prices fixed.

2.\tAre department store tailors any good? For example, I know Saks and other department stores offer alterations on-site. I have used their services previously, but I really have no basis for comparison.

3.\tWhat should I know? I feel like alterations is one of those services I should ask and demand specifically what I want, and not have to pay for something that is done poorly.

4.\tAny other advice? What to wear, what to bring, etc.

Thanks!

Siggy

Reaction score
First rule is make sure you wear the usual correct size dress shirt if you are having a suit jacket or blazer altered. Your shirt sleeves should be at the correct place in order to assist in getting your jacket sleeve altered to the correct length.

Same idea for the trousers. Make sure you wear a pair of dress shoes. Also make sure when you are having the trousers fitted that you wear a belt and have the trousers at the correct spot on your waist, where you will later be wearing the trousers...a centimeter higher or lower can make a difference.

Make sure the tailor alters to the length and break you want, not too long like 98% of tailors want.

Tell the tailor how you want the buttons (kissing etc) and if you want fake button holes, cuffs on the trousers, size of cuffs, trouser tape, etc.

Department store tailors can be ok for simple alterations, but for anything beyond that (i.e., beyond sleeve and trousers) I would seek out a pro.

For prices, it never hurts to ask.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would never take a valuable or irreplaceable item to a tailor for the first time at that tailor. Have them hem a pair or pants, or take them in, have them shorten sleeves on a shirt or something first. See if they do a good job.

effang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I would never take a valuable or irreplaceable item to a tailor for the first time at that tailor. Have them hem a pair or pants, or take them in, have them shorten sleeves on a shirt or something first. See if they do a good job.

that is good advice...i was reading further online, you're apparently supposed to develop a relationship with your tailor.

i guess for me that idea is totally foreign. cheap tailoring solutions in Taipei, Taiwan (hemming, darting, letting pants in/out) is extremely cheap, and done efficiently. i guess i'm just not familiar with working up a relationship just so that he can correctly tailor my h&m/zara shirts...

thanks, i'll keep testing!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads