• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CaryGooper

Reaction score
lol. For me the fun is all in the use. I don't get much fun out of just storing my bags in a cedar box in the attic, tbh. If I am a collector, I am the serial monogamist type - going through many bags just to get to The One.
Agreed Soletrane. It takes effort to remain practical whilst exercising ones collecting spirit. But one can never have too many cedar boxes.

CCF1897

Reaction score
The 261 came in today. It’s from Nov 2007 i.e. YKK era’. I needed...okay,wanted... a bag to lug around headphones, iPad, bulky test prep books, calculator, notebooks, novel etc. This was totally overloading my Ernest Alexander Watson briefcase. The 261 zippered tote is one of the most universally praised Filson bags - and I already had the open tote (in heavy tin) so I was pretty sure this was THE bag for my needs as I needed something that could carry a lot but more accessible than a backpack.

So now with the same load in the 261 as I had in my briefcase, it is maybe 2/3rds full tops so perfect. Leather is better than my newer pieces but not as good or faded like my Talon bag straps. One strap being better overall quality than the other upon inspection but certainly acceptable. (Edit: I took a better look at it late last night. One strap is the most perfect post-Talon era, dark brown leather strap I have ever seen from Filson. Immaculate across its length. Supple. If all Filson straps were like this, everyone on this forum would be in 7th heaven. Now, the other is pretty good throughout its length but shows some waving on the topside and the fuzziness on one end of the underside. Still serviceable, of course. Given this bag is from 2007, it suggests there was variability in quality even prior to Bedrock).

I will try it on my next business trip as my ‘personal item’ and see how it compares to my Journeyman backpack. This is the most competitive category for me as I have tried backpacks, briefcases, and other totes with varying success as they all have their respective advantages. View attachment 1256015
I had a similar experience with a Brand new old stock 2003 264 that @TinMan3 put me onto a year or so ago. I did use that bag as well as my (now @OtterMeanGreen ’s) talon 264 as two of the samples in the leather and twill measuring tests I did and posted for you recall. The leather has gotten so much better over this past year. One strap was clearly superior however now after a year of semi-hard use it’s tough to tell them apart. What is surprising on this specific bag is the twill still looks as new as the day I got it. I’ll post a pic in a few weeks.

And speaking of twill I just picked up a pair of the double tin chaps. The bottoms are wrapped/finished with twill. I plan on wearing these a lot on a grouse trip in a few weeks,if the twill can hold up to the punishment I put pants through I think all of our bags will be hand me downs for generations. I’ll update on those every few months with pictures etc to track how well it hold up.

pnwprice

Reaction score
Speaking of totes, just got this bad boy from Japan.

Attachments

• 8CBC1BED-11DE-43AF-B974-58569E8BE31A.jpeg
    8CBC1BED-11DE-43AF-B974-58569E8BE31A.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 00ACA89B-6C25-4A69-AF64-EFD1A28E5ADF.jpeg
    00ACA89B-6C25-4A69-AF64-EFD1A28E5ADF.jpeg
    422.7 KB · Views: 76

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would a 261 like this be better?

View attachment 1256623
What is that thing? I kinda like it. Maybe it's the typical strap layout on the zippered tote that I don't like. It's not quite big enough for my shoulder - one strap usually falls off. It happens the same on my grocery-getter Filson tin cloth tote - but that's just for short trips usually so no biggie...

FilsonDude

Reaction score
What is that thing? I kinda like it. Maybe it's the typical strap layout on the zippered tote that I don't like. It's not quite big enough for my shoulder - one strap usually falls off. It happens the same on my grocery-getter Filson tin cloth tote - but that's just for short trips usually so no biggie...
Not a repair / restoration job done by Filson. Another leather company replaced the straps and added the shoulder strap.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mgrennier, think of it as 'utility bag' if that helps any! ;-) Tongue-in-cheek as that is, I think there's a grain of truth to it.

I have the standard open tote - and THAT one feels like a tote to me. And as such, I have seldom used it for anything other than hauling gym clothes around. The Filson open tote seems different only in degree (heavier, thicker) than in kind or category from the standard grocery tote bag - as it too is open and vertically aligned ('portrait' as opposed to 'landscape'). I naturally place most items (e.g. shoes, books, water bottle) vertically in the open tote rather than horizontally like in a briefcase.

In contrast, the more cube shaped 261 feels to me more like a really fat briefcase. I place all the books, laptop, ipad and notebooks horizontally in the bag - like I would do in a briefcase (which is the preferred orientation for these types of items hence the landscape shape of almost every briefcase). So when my gear got to the point where it was just too much for my 256 sized Watson bag, it was quite natural to throw everything in the same orientation into the 261. I have a Red Oxx Gator Bag (now used mostly as a bag for my dSLR), and the 261 seems more like this cube shaped bag than my open tote (though larger than the Gator and thus more useful to me).

There is always a honeymoon period with a Filson bag where you try to use your new bag for almost everything, but once that dies down, you start to understand it's best place in the 'bag roster'. So I will try it and report back.

I don’t use my 261 as a larger briefcase. It works as overnight bag where I might have a laptop but also need some clothing. In this context packing cubes are a big help.
My wife uses her 261 in conjunction with a backpack as a way of both organising and avoiding a single large/heavy bag.
But I think this is the appeal if the 261 - it can function in almost any way you choose. Whether you regard it as unsuitable / too female is in the eye of the beholder.

bart

Reaction score
I said I’d post a few pics of my 242. Here it is compared to my 256 from 2010 and small Pullman from 2019. On the loaded pics of the 242 and Pullman, they have the same contents.

I bought the 242 from GZStudio and the Pullman direct from Filson. My thoughts was that they were basically identical and I’d just decide if I liked the strap/flap setup better on one or the other. GZ knew I was comparing them and was totally good with it. Basically, I think the Pullman would be more convenient by itself due to being able to get in the outside pockets more easily. Since it was new though, I tried the 242 on a trip first. It ended up working fine for me. The leather is significantly different on the talon bag vs the others. Not thicker, but softer.

I took a 5 day trip to AZ with only the 242, but cheated. My wife was with me and I stuffEd my pocket knife and multi tool in her suitcase (gotta be prepared). On the way back from that trip I had bought another knife and also had a live round from a gun I shot that I kept as a souvenir and forgot them in the 242. As it turns out, TSA agents don’t like that... I was pissed at myself and had to check it at that point. I was afraid it would get filthy at best. Really didn’t though, the throwers must have respected my excellent taste.

So now that I have these two near identical bags, I’d like to trade one for a duffel format. Any takers? The Pullman would be NWT and come in a Filson box. For a good enough offer, I might trade the 242. 1A72A66F-2C5E-42DB-9F60-1081341C7D62.jpeg AA530E5A-BB75-403F-939C-841A50E5E325.jpeg 342B13C2-55D5-4F94-ADF0-FD6F6FA25E0F.jpeg 807BE4F1-E6EA-425B-AF0D-42D5C9B7202A.jpeg FD1DCF11-0179-44C4-BE30-27F4DB784EAB.jpeg 5E325FA5-40E9-4826-9FB4-BCE76354E0B1.jpeg 3A6A9911-8E76-4F0A-B041-82723B36983C.jpeg

bart

Reaction score
I also have bought eagle creek packing cubes since those pics and that cleans things up a bit.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bart for the pics. It was my first Filson and my only one for years. It is great for carrying folded clothes - but its weakness is carrying any object that is too thick - like if you buy a souvenir mug packed in a box. The suitcase style is also easy to hand carry since it's relatively narrow compared to a duffle of similar capacity.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I said I’d post a few pics of my 242. Here it is compared to my 256 from 2010 and small Pullman from 2019. On the loaded pics of the 242 and Pullman, they have the same contents.

I bought the 242 from GZStudio and the Pullman direct from Filson. My thoughts was that they were basically identical and I’d just decide if I liked the strap/flap setup better on one or the other. GZ knew I was comparing them and was totally good with it. Basically, I think the Pullman would be more convenient by itself due to being able to get in the outside pockets more easily. Since it was new though, I tried the 242 on a trip first. It ended up working fine for me. The leather is significantly different on the talon bag vs the others. Not thicker, but softer.

I took a 5 day trip to AZ with only the 242, but cheated. My wife was with me and I stuffEd my pocket knife and multi tool in her suitcase (gotta be prepared). On the way back from that trip I had bought another knife and also had a live round from a gun I shot that I kept as a souvenir and forgot them in the 242. As it turns out, TSA agents don’t like that... I was pissed at myself and had to check it at that point. I was afraid it would get filthy at best. Really didn’t though, the throwers must have respected my excellent taste.

So now that I have these two near identical bags, I’d like to trade one for a duffel format. Any takers? The Pullman would be NWT and come in a Filson box. For a good enough offer, I might trade the 242. View attachment 1256957 View attachment 1256958 View attachment 1256959 View attachment 1256960 View attachment 1256961 View attachment 1256962 View attachment 1256963
Good to see these. I think there had been some earlier discussion suggesting that the small Pullman was the “modern” version of the 242 - at least in terms of size and clamshell design. I agree that to have both the small pullman and the 242 might be duplicative.
My attraction the the 242 was wanting a space increase against the 48hr duffle, as well as liking the classic design and twill construction. I like the Pullman design very much as well, but as I have the original size, I didn’t want another bag so similar.

In purely practical terms the handles on the Pullman are probably better. The 242 flops around if the front buckles aren’t done up and you try and pick it up with the handle. On the other hand it looks great and the flap provides extra security for the front pocket. Both are lovely bags.

bart

Reaction score
I mostly agree with what you just posted Speedy. I do like the Shorter handle length of the 242 for hard carry. The Pullman is that uncomfortable middle ground of almost too long for hand carry and too short for shoulder carry.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mostly agree with what you just posted Speedy. I do like the Shorter handle length of the 242 for hard carry. The Pullman is that uncomfortable middle ground of almost too long for hand carry and too short for shoulder carry.
Yes, that’s definitely true. And both bags suffer from the clamshell problem of falling open if you pick them up with the zip not properly done up!

DNSamurai

Reaction score
Anyone have one of the leather or suede pouches they used to sell and are willing to part with it? Looking for something to hold my cables, etc. and slips into my briefcase.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt