• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

linablair

Reaction score
Hi y’all! It’s been a bit since I dropped by to join in on the conversation. Lots of changes in the past few months. I moved into a new place and was in need of something for my bedroom wall. Working with limited closet space. Found some water spigot knobs and bolts and hung up some of my bags. Thought y’all might enjoy!

Attachments

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Hi y’all! It’s been a bit since I dropped by to join in on the conversation. Lots of changes in the past few months. I moved into a new place and was in need of something for my bedroom wall. Working with limited closet space. Found some water spigot knobs and bolts and hung up some of my bags. Thought y’all might enjoy!
Nice, it’s like sleeping in a Filson store

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, it’s like sleeping in a Filson store
Lol.

Maybe Filson’s next promotional event could be an overnight camp-out for enthusiasts in one of their new stores using only Filson equipment and clothing, of course. Combine it with a whiskey tasting and a live demonstration on the art of carving duck decoys and it might just work!

mgrennier

Reaction score
Been a while since I’ve posted an airport pic. (But have been in a TON of airports).

Longer trip this time so it’s the Journeyman paired with the Away aluminum bigger carry-on. St. Louis to San Francisco then to Dallas and back to St. Louis.

this journeyman is a beast!

Attachments

speedy611

Reaction score
Been a while since I’ve posted an airport pic. (But have been in a TON of airports).

Longer trip this time so it’s the Journeyman paired with the Away aluminum bigger carry-on. St. Louis to San Francisco then to Dallas and back to St. Louis.

this journeyman is a beast!
There’s no escaping it. The aluminium and twill combination looks very good together. Super practical too.
It continues to amaze me that Away is doing so well as a market disrupter! Good for them.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a zipper tote as I saw a gap in my line-up for something larger than a briefcase when I wanted to carry a laptop, textbooks, NR headphones, charger, power cords etc. but easier access than a backpack.

The design seems like the optimal under the seat/personal item for flights too. I think it would pair well with a small roller suitcase.
Before my rucksack the zippered tote was my go-to "personal item" for under the seat. I prefer the double shoulder straps nowadays.

It continues to amaze me that Away is doing so well as a market disrupter! Good for them.
Me too! I don't understand the appeal of the brand. Seems just as expensive as other brands.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s no escaping it. The aluminium and twill combination looks very good together. Super practical too.
I have been thinking this recently as I see more frequent travelers with an aluminum roller and a Filson 256 or zippered tote.

I am thinking of switching out my typical duffle for my smallest roller coupled with my incoming 261 on my next business trip. The small roller has a compartment for my laptop too. Seems like a very workable blend of traditional and modern.

TinMan3

Reaction score
I’m still hoping I stumble accross a Rimowa classic flight some day for a steal. I could never pay full price but you’re right there is just something about the aluminum with the waxed cotton that is so classic looking.

mgrennier

Reaction score
I’m still hoping I stumble accross a Rimowa classic flight some day for a steal. I could never pay full price but you’re right there is just something about the aluminum with the waxed cotton that is so classic looking.
Hey guys. My first reason to go with a roller was practical. Traveling every week gets a bit burdensome with a duffle. im writing this, in fact, in an Uber from San Francisco to San Jose.

I would love a Rinowa too as they, way more than the Away, provide a more classic Filson-esque experience

the away was my first aluminum roller so I wanted to see how it would withstand the dweekly airport grind (remarkably well by the way).

I’m happy with the setup with the Filson.the only thing I’m really missing is a trolley strap on the back of my 256 or the Journeyman. I know the 24 hour bag has one but I don’t love the tin cloth for EDC.

I need to meet someone that can sew one on.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 261 came in today. It’s from Nov 2007 i.e. YKK era’. I needed...okay,wanted... a bag to lug around headphones, iPad, bulky test prep books, calculator, notebooks, novel etc. This was totally overloading my Ernest Alexander Watson briefcase. The 261 zippered tote is one of the most universally praised Filson bags - and I already had the open tote (in heavy tin) so I was pretty sure this was THE bag for my needs as I needed something that could carry a lot but more accessible than a backpack.

So now with the same load in the 261 as I had in my briefcase, it is maybe 2/3rds full tops so perfect. Leather is better than my newer pieces but not as good or faded like my Talon bag straps. One strap being better overall quality than the other upon inspection but certainly acceptable. (Edit: I took a better look at it late last night. One strap is the most perfect post-Talon era, dark brown leather strap I have ever seen from Filson. Immaculate across its length. Supple. If all Filson straps were like this, everyone on this forum would be in 7th heaven. Now, the other is pretty good throughout its length but shows some waving on the topside and the fuzziness on one end of the underside. Still serviceable, of course. Given this bag is from 2007, it suggests there was variability in quality even prior to Bedrock).

I will try it on my next business trip as my ‘personal item’ and see how it compares to my Journeyman backpack. This is the most competitive category for me as I have tried backpacks, briefcases, and other totes with varying success as they all have their respective advantages.
E561B8E3-4B94-456C-9E5C-09A754CADF1A.jpeg

Last edited:

bart

Reaction score
...As far as I’m aware, the only user of a 242 is Soletrane, so it’s not very common, if our community represents a cross section.
Catching up on old posts, haven’t been around in a while. Correction, I also have a talon 242 I got from GZ. I’ll post more later. Have been traveling with it this summer and have a couple stories. Great bag!

mgrennier

Reaction score
The 261 came in today. It’s from Nov 2007 i.e. YKK era’. I needed...okay,wanted... a bag to lug around headphones, iPad, bulky test prep books, calculator, notebooks, novel etc. This was totally overloading my Ernest Alexander Watson briefcase. The 261 zippered tote is one of the most universally praised Filson bags - and I already had the open tote (in heavy tin) so I was pretty sure this was THE bag for my needs as I needed something that could carry a lot but more accessible than a backpack.

So now with the same load in the 261 as I had in my briefcase, it is maybe 2/3rds full tops so perfect. Leather is better than my newer pieces but not as good or faded like my Talon bag straps. One strap being better overall quality than the other upon inspection but certainly acceptable. (Edit: I took a better look at it late last night. One strap is the most perfect post-Talon era, dark brown leather strap I have ever seen from Filson. Immaculate across its length. Supple. If all Filson straps were like this, everyone on this forum would be in 7th heaven. Now, the other is pretty good throughout its length but shows some waving on the topside and the fuzziness on one end of the underside. Still serviceable, of course. Given this bag is from 2007, it suggests there was variability in quality even prior to Bedrock).

I will try it on my next business trip as my ‘personal item’ and see how it compares to my Journeyman backpack. This is the most competitive category for me as I have tried backpacks, briefcases, and other totes with varying success as they all have their respective advantages.View attachment 1256015
All these new tote bags posts. While I love the shape of the bag and the look of the bag, I just cannot get comfortable carrying it on business trips. Something about carrying a tote that doesn't appeal to me.

Soletrane - I'll be curious what you think after you carry it a few times on a business trip. I really WANT to like the 261 but I'm just not there yet.

CaryGooper

Reaction score
All these new tote bags posts. While I love the shape of the bag and the look of the bag, I just cannot get comfortable carrying it on business trips. Something about carrying a tote that doesn't appeal to me.

Soletrane - I'll be curious what you think after you carry it a few times on a business trip. I really WANT to like the 261 but I'm just not there yet.
Well it is a tote 😉

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.