• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just shipped off my first ever repair job to Filson.

For those who’ve done it, how was your experience? Did it meet/exceed your expectations? Any issues arise?

pnwprice

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a new tin cloth jacket.. I like the Short Lined Cruiser that is currently on the website, but am also considering picking up a Tin Cloth Seattle Cruiser off ebay. Does anyone have an experience with this coat and will to offer any thoughts or pictures?

Short lines cruiser is awesome. Fills a nice spot between a regular denim trucker and a heavier winter coat. Nice and water repellent too.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a new tin cloth jacket.. I like the Short Lined Cruiser that is currently on the website, but am also considering picking up a Tin Cloth Seattle Cruiser off ebay. Does anyone have an experience with this coat and will to offer any thoughts or pictures?
Woods - I have both the short lined cruiser and the original tin cloth cruiser.
They are different animals. The lined cruiser is nice because it’s lined. It is quite short - very much a “hit at the belt” line and so as pnwprice says, it’s a denim style cut.
The tin cruiser is much heavier weight not least because it’s double layered across the sleeves, front and most of the back. It’s a beast. It’s a longer length so imparts a little less of a trucker vibe. You can get sport coat under and it still looks ok. It you do need a layer underneath if you want any sort of warmth, and without that it can be clammy.

For what it’s worth I bought my tin cruiser first. I really like it and it gets a lot of use. I only got the short cruiser because of an amazing deal that I couldn’t pass up. But I do like it and it’s getting use now as the autumn begins to arrive.

DB781CA8-95EB-470E-AD50-15CDCCD0A3AA.jpeg

woodsjw

Reaction score
Woods - I have both the short lined cruiser and the original tin cloth cruiser.
They are different animals. The lined cruiser is nice because it’s lined. It is quite short - very much a “hit at the belt” line and so as pnwprice says, it’s a denim style cut.
The tin cruiser is much heavier weight not least because it’s double layered across the sleeves, front and most of the back. It’s a beast. It’s a longer length so imparts a little less of a trucker vibe. You can get sport coat under and it still looks ok. It you do need a layer underneath if you want any sort of warmth, and without that it can be clammy.

For what it’s worth I bought my tin cruiser first. I really like it and it gets a lot of use. I only got the short cruiser because of an amazing deal that I couldn’t pass up. But I do like it and it’s getting use now as the autumn begins to arrive.

View attachment 1239033

I’m sorry, I meant the now discontinued (or at least currently unavailable) Tin Cloth Lined Seattle Cruiser... which is why I’m looking on eBay.

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
Anyone able/willing to post pics of their Filson leather luggage tag on a 256/7/8? I like what Speedy did with the tag on the Pullman (several pages back). I bought an old-school super thick leather loop Filson luggage tag from Gz a while back and have had a hard time finding a good spot to put it on my 257. Thanks folks.

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
Anyone able/willing to post pics of their Filson leather luggage tag on a 256/7/8? I like what Speedy did with the tag on the Pullman (several pages back). I bought an old-school super thick leather loop Filson luggage tag from Gz a while back and have had a hard time finding a good spot to put it on my 257. Thanks folks.
BTW, patagoniacommunity is now Dad Shoes ?

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just shipped off my first ever repair job to Filson.

For those who’ve done it, how was your experience? Did it meet/exceed your expectations? Any issues arise?

I guess I have sent back stuff three times now. It has met my expectations each time.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One night trip to Chicago. Seemed like a good opportunity to take my small duffle out for a spin (no briefcase or backpack either). Flight delayed 2.5 hours? No problem walking the concourse with the small duffle. Stuffed overhead once you board? No problem stuffing it under the seat in front of you.
CA063189-5982-4CDB-8B25-C683FA003A30.jpeg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any reason not to do what I did and just thread it through the sewn on tab where the handle is? Works fine on a 256/7 as no large front pocket like the 258. Failing that, the brass loop on the side.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful sunny day in the UK. It’s cool morning and evening now, and I’m completely loving my ultra light jacket. I was thinking today that perhaps it’s “just” another quilted jacket. But the soft hand warmer pockets and collar, the rip stop shell, and comfortable fit really elevate it. And whilst it’s not been cold enough for this yet, there is room underneath for my ultralight vest if I wanted to layer.
Oh, and the garden is producing...

D4ACA364-D65D-43C6-B33C-8380868A9918.jpeg
3167ACE4-C0B8-4CBA-A34D-65F11F304492.jpeg

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
Any reason not to do what I did and just thread it through the sewn on tab where the handle is? Works fine on a 256/7 as no large front pocket like the 258. Failing that, the brass loop on the side.
As a matter of fact, I did exactly what you did, and tried it on the rear side of my 257. The thick loop juts out a bit, but not bad. I had it looped around the actual carry-strap before and it just didn't feel right. And perhaps the newer luggage tags with the thinner loops are that way for this very reason, that they will break-in more quickly and sit flatter. (Or Filson could just be cutting corners.)

I did try it on the brass loop as well, but again, since the leather loop on the tag is so thick, it makes the tag stick out almost perpendicular to the side of the bag. Will probably just stick with this solution for now. Thanks Speedy.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, I did exactly what you did, and tried it on the rear side of my 257. The thick loop juts out a bit, but not bad. I had it looped around the actual carry-strap before and it just didn't feel right. And perhaps the newer luggage tags with the thinner loops are that way for this very reason, that they will break-in more quickly and sit flatter. (Or Filson could just be cutting corners.)

I did try it on the brass loop as well, but again, since the leather loop on the tag is so thick, it makes the tag stick out almost perpendicular to the side of the bag. Will probably just stick with this solution for now. Thanks Speedy. View attachment 1240345 View attachment 1240346
That's what I do with mine - except I have my heavy leaher tag attached to my 48 hour duffle. I have the lightweight tin cloth ones attached (like yours) to my 257 and to my rolling Away bag.

Headed to San Jose on Sunday again so I'll be packing some Filson gear...Not sure which

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am really pissed off. The Filson Wax Work Vest (Item 20087430) in Faded Black was advertised as Made in USA with imported material came today in the mail. Open it up, and on the label it says “Made in Vietnam”. And I know the last version of this was made in USA too as I tried it on at a Filson Store. It’s going back as I hate the misrepresentation.
57543A25-5557-4F8F-8F2A-065648EED141.jpeg
D7329DC2-D441-4B4E-81B1-CA7097B4C69D.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads