• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

singjai

Reaction score
Had my 257 for about 5 years now and decided to wax the canvas for the first time. Noticed one weird thing that I had never noticed the past 5 years (first time I've actually inspected my bag since I bought it). The leather on the zipper aged completely differently on each side.

Anyone else notice this with their briefcase? I don't mind it, just thought I'd ask to see if it was a common thing.

Kwaker

Reaction score
Unlike your experience, the leather pieces on my bags (x 2) are better matched.

speedy611

Reaction score
Had my 257 for about 5 years now and decided to wax the canvas for the first time. Noticed one weird thing that I had never noticed the past 5 years (first time I've actually inspected my bag since I bought it). The leather on the zipper aged completely differently on each side.

Anyone else notice this with their briefcase? I don't mind it, just thought I'd ask to see if it was a common thing.

View attachment 1238788

View attachment 1238789

View attachment 1238790
I haven’t seen this before with respect to zips. But it’s the same as we’ve seen with handles and straps where leather is clearly from different hides or different parts of the hide. Some would be unhappy with this, I guess it’s a personal opinion. I don’t think it affects functionality at all.

woodsjw

Reaction score
I haven’t seen this before with respect to zips. But it’s the same as we’ve seen with handles and straps where leather is clearly from different hides or different parts of the hide. Some would be unhappy with this, I guess it’s a personal opinion. I don’t think it affects functionality at all.
Yeah, uniformity is not something I really look for in Filson bags... I kinda like that different parts of the bags age and wear differently depending upon their use and how they are constructed. I'm not sure there's anyway to guarantee that this doesn't happen.

woodsjw

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a new tin cloth jacket.. I like the Short Lined Cruiser that is currently on the website, but am also considering picking up a Tin Cloth Seattle Cruiser off ebay. Does anyone have an experience with this coat and will to offer any thoughts or pictures?

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love it so far. I carried in pretty heavy rain today and you can’t even tell. How long have you had yours?
Pretty new to me too, just a few weeks. Not sure how I feel about it yet, but not in love with the drawstring or the snaps on it. I think I like it due to the aesthetics of having a leather backpack. My rucksack is not getting as much wear since i got it, but I also have the tin cloth backpack too, so that is taking up some of my backpack time too.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just shipped off my first ever repair job to Filson.

For those who’ve done it, how was your experience? Did it meet/exceed your expectations? Any issues arise?

pnwprice

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a new tin cloth jacket.. I like the Short Lined Cruiser that is currently on the website, but am also considering picking up a Tin Cloth Seattle Cruiser off ebay. Does anyone have an experience with this coat and will to offer any thoughts or pictures?
Short lines cruiser is awesome. Fills a nice spot between a regular denim trucker and a heavier winter coat. Nice and water repellent too.

speedy611

Reaction score
Woods - I have both the short lined cruiser and the original tin cloth cruiser.
They are different animals. The lined cruiser is nice because it’s lined. It is quite short - very much a “hit at the belt” line and so as pnwprice says, it’s a denim style cut.
The tin cruiser is much heavier weight not least because it’s double layered across the sleeves, front and most of the back. It’s a beast. It’s a longer length so imparts a little less of a trucker vibe. You can get sport coat under and it still looks ok. It you do need a layer underneath if you want any sort of warmth, and without that it can be clammy.

For what it’s worth I bought my tin cruiser first. I really like it and it gets a lot of use. I only got the short cruiser because of an amazing deal that I couldn’t pass up. But I do like it and it’s getting use now as the autumn begins to arrive.

DB781CA8-95EB-470E-AD50-15CDCCD0A3AA.jpeg

woodsjw

Reaction score
Woods - I have both the short lined cruiser and the original tin cloth cruiser.
They are different animals. The lined cruiser is nice because it’s lined. It is quite short - very much a “hit at the belt” line and so as pnwprice says, it’s a denim style cut.
The tin cruiser is much heavier weight not least because it’s double layered across the sleeves, front and most of the back. It’s a beast. It’s a longer length so imparts a little less of a trucker vibe. You can get sport coat under and it still looks ok. It you do need a layer underneath if you want any sort of warmth, and without that it can be clammy.

For what it’s worth I bought my tin cruiser first. I really like it and it gets a lot of use. I only got the short cruiser because of an amazing deal that I couldn’t pass up. But I do like it and it’s getting use now as the autumn begins to arrive.

View attachment 1239033
I’m sorry, I meant the now discontinued (or at least currently unavailable) Tin Cloth Lined Seattle Cruiser... which is why I’m looking on eBay.

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
Anyone able/willing to post pics of their Filson leather luggage tag on a 256/7/8? I like what Speedy did with the tag on the Pullman (several pages back). I bought an old-school super thick leather loop Filson luggage tag from Gz a while back and have had a hard time finding a good spot to put it on my 257. Thanks folks.

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
Anyone able/willing to post pics of their Filson leather luggage tag on a 256/7/8? I like what Speedy did with the tag on the Pullman (several pages back). I bought an old-school super thick leather loop Filson luggage tag from Gz a while back and have had a hard time finding a good spot to put it on my 257. Thanks folks.
BTW, patagoniacommunity is now Dad Shoes 🤓

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One night trip to Chicago. Seemed like a good opportunity to take my small duffle out for a spin (no briefcase or backpack either). Flight delayed 2.5 hours? No problem walking the concourse with the small duffle. Stuffed overhead once you board? No problem stuffing it under the seat in front of you.
CA063189-5982-4CDB-8B25-C683FA003A30.jpeg

speedy611

Reaction score
Any reason not to do what I did and just thread it through the sewn on tab where the handle is? Works fine on a 256/7 as no large front pocket like the 258. Failing that, the brass loop on the side.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.