• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this topic came up a while ago. I suggested then that one approach would be to use a Filson leather or fabric strap, modified to be the right length across the back of the bag. Attach at the D rings on each end. Simple and removable.
Bit messy, maybe? Another thing I'm considering is simply to cut off a strips of fabric towards and parallel to the top of the back external pocket, then reinforce the cut with leather and/or stitching. This won't really change the functionality of the pocket and won't be too noticeable.

Or I could just tie a thin strip of leather--just like the zipper pulls--to the part of the handles below the leather attachment loops. That's what I'll probably end up trying. It's just easier.

Last edited:

mgrennier

Reaction score
Bit messy, maybe? Another thing I'm considering is simply to cut off a strips of fabric towards and parallel to the top of the back external pocket, then reinforce the cut with leather and/or stitching. This won't really change the functionality of the pocket and won't be too noticeable.

Or I could just tie a thin strip of leather--just like the zipper pulls--to the part of the handles below the leather attachment loops. That's what I'll probably end up trying. It's just easier.
I was thinking the same thing but, rather, cut a straight line along the bottom of the back 'pocket' (on the outside), reinforce the cut edge with either heavy twill (less noticeable) or leather (might be too noticeable). That way, the trolly handles can run through through the bottom of the pocket and out through the top.

I hardly ever use the back pocket anyway and I think it could be an interesting look. I did cut out the inside divider of my 257 recently so I'm sure I can find enough heavy twill to do it and it might look kinda nice. (or at least be more functional).

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oof...it's been a while since I've wanted an item of Filson clothing, but this jacket has my eye.

Nice. Will look really good broken in. They have a pretty decent Canadian made CCF work coat too for $125.

TinMan3

Reaction score
TinMan3, is that the “Heavyweight Waxed Work Vest” in dark tan and 11oz Chera canvas? Item 20122983 in the US website. This looks great in the catalog pic.

I tried on the 17oz Work Vest (the penultimate version of the one I just ordered) at the store and I could see some value in the 11oz version due to weight and initial stiffness of the 17oz version. In fact the even lighter, thinner 4.7oz “Dry Wax Work Vest” is also really appealing as mid-layer or for milder weather.
You are right. That one is 11oz. I will have to try on both when I visit the Filson in Naperville later this month for the grand opening!

speedy611

Reaction score
While we are on vests ... does anyone have a older style hunting vest (#32) or similar in a large that they’d part with?

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

woodsjw

Reaction score
Came across a Filson 70270 Rugged Twill Garment bag in Navy locally that I could proxy CONUS for $650 total (paypal as a gift) via USPS Priority 2-3 day. It looks discontinued by Filson but still avail retail looks to be $775.

Beautifully constructed and built like a tank, is 5" wide at top and can easily carry 2 or 3 suits.

B&S here: https://www.styleforum.net/buyandsell/filson-70270-rugged-twill-garment-bag-in-navy.18089/

View attachment 1237458
These are at Nordstrom Rack for $395 right now... I’ve seen tan, otter green and navy at the two closest to my house.

pnwprice

Reaction score
STOKED on this Filson outlet find. They had 2 of these now discontinued rugged suede backpacks. Well over half off original price. Not factory 2nds either. Right place right time.

Attachments

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These are at Nordstrom Rack for $395 right now... I’ve seen tan, otter green and navy at the two closest to my house.
Geez, I thought finding one for $500 was a deal.

bucky0486

Reaction score
Many years ago I bought the garment bag, I think at full price. Now when I see the prices they go for I kick myself for not being more patient.

That being said, I love my garment bag and have used it several times. I never worry about the items I store in there.

But, the hanger clamps always go undone. I've used some wire twist-ties (usually from dry cleaners) around the clamp that usually work, but not always. That is my biggest complaint of all of my Filson bags.

bucky0486

Reaction score
STOKED on this Filson outlet find. They had 2 of these now discontinued rugged suede backpacks. Well over half off original price. Not factory 2nds either. Right place right time.
Hey, so I'm not close to any of the Filson stores, so, please, if anyone sees a briefcase in red, I would be very interested in purchasing it from you.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many years ago I bought the garment bag, I think at full price. Now when I see the prices they go for I kick myself for not being more patient.

That being said, I love my garment bag and have used it several times. I never worry about the items I store in there.

But, the hanger clamps always go undone. I've used some wire twist-ties (usually from dry cleaners) around the clamp that usually work, but not always. That is my biggest complaint of all of my Filson bags.
You can console yourself with the knowledge that you got all those extra years of use out of your garment bag.

It is interesting to see garment bags decline in popularity so much. I figure it is probably the result of the prevalence of the ‘business casual’ dress code which makes carrying several suits on a business trip less a requirement for most business travelers than in years past. Plus people like the convenience/comfort of modern roller bags vs schlepping a heavy garment bag on one shoulder.

I examined the Filson garment bag at The Rack. They are really heavy duty.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a Filson Workshop ‘sling bag’ at one of the Filson stores. Formerly called ‘fanny packs’ in the US (but obviously not in the UK). Orange bag with thick white canvas webbing. It was, by far, the most overbuilt sling bag I have ever seen (wish I had taken a photo). But truthfully, it was just too much at $150 (plus tax) for what it was - even though I could see myself getting some use out of it as a backpack can be overkill for phone, keys, water bottle etc.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.