• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The daily emails on new arrivals from Filson are just too tempting. They sent me one today announcing their new Wax Work Vest in ‘Faded Black’ and I couldn’t resist. The combo of insulation, the new color and the 17oz Millerain Chera fabric had me hooked.
I am giving some serious consideration to the tan variant of this vest!!

Wandering

Reaction score
The daily emails on new arrivals from Filson are just too tempting. They sent me one today announcing their new Wax Work Vest in ‘Faded Black’ and I couldn’t resist. The combo of insulation, the new color and the 17oz Millerain Chera fabric had me hooked.
Nice vest. I would love a Filson vest, but it needs to have a shirt collar (suitable for the office). I'm still waiting for them to release a sleeveless version of their quilted jac-shirt, or something similar...

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Is the Journeyman black or navy? I can’t quite tell. Good fodder for a comparative review as they are quite dissimilar given that they are all Filson backpacks.

It is navy. That was just a quick shot the day I brought it home. Will post more pics later on.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Excellent! They are on my list of bands to listen to, especially since they just put all their stuff on Spotify. A friend and I are in the process of trying to see as many metal bands as we can while they are still around. We’ve done Metallica twice, and upcoming are Ghost, Sunn O))) and Slipknot.

Filson content: get a 262 rucksack. They are very good. I will give kudos to @FilsonDude for having 3 backpacks - that’s pretty dedicated!

Dedication or I have terrible self-control.
Couldn’t pass up the opportunities to buy. The Journeyman is used but it was about $75usd before shipping.

DuckMan_11

Reaction score
I’m not sure that this would interest most of you, but I believe Filson was looking at introducing some more water fowl gear this year. I noticed a bag on the Ducks Unlimited website that isn’t on Filson’s site yet. Filson Bag

I emailed Custom care to see what the ETA was, will report back once I hear from them.

Filson Rep just responded to my email and it will be next February before they are in.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am giving some serious consideration to the tan variant of this vest!!

TinMan3, is that the “Heavyweight Waxed Work Vest” in dark tan and 11oz Chera canvas? Item 20122983 in the US website. This looks great in the catalog pic.

I tried on the 17oz Work Vest (the penultimate version of the one I just ordered) at the store and I could see some value in the 11oz version due to weight and initial stiffness of the 17oz version. In fact the even lighter, thinner 4.7oz “Dry Wax Work Vest” is also really appealing as mid-layer or for milder weather.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you find any examples or anyone that has modified their 256 with a trolley strap, I'd be interested. I've thought a few times about cutting the bottom of the back, outside pocket then reinforcing it with some leather bits for strength and using it when I travel with my roller bag.

I might be inclined to do it myself except I don't have the equipment or knowhow to sew the leather to the heavy twill.

I've no idea either but I know someone who can. I'm thinking of attaching a vintage Swiss army leather bag to the front via a leather strap riveted to the front pocket. This would make the bag stand up without being propped against stuff, and it would produce a loop to insert the trolley handle. Am a bit hesitant to mess with the style though, and also fear the leather contrast would look weird. Does anyone know how to source some rugged twill (other than by cannibalising another bag or the inside dividers of mine)?

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've no idea either but I know someone who can. I'm thinking of attaching a vintage Swiss army leather bag to the front via a leather strap riveted to the front pocket. This would make the bag stand up without being propped against stuff, and it would produce a loop to insert the trolley handle. Am a bit hesitant to mess with the style though, and also fear the leather contrast would look weird. Does anyone know how to source some rugged twill (other than by cannibalising another bag or the inside dividers of mine)?
I think this topic came up a while ago. I suggested then that one approach would be to use a Filson leather or fabric strap, modified to be the right length across the back of the bag. Attach at the D rings on each end. Simple and removable.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this topic came up a while ago. I suggested then that one approach would be to use a Filson leather or fabric strap, modified to be the right length across the back of the bag. Attach at the D rings on each end. Simple and removable.

Bit messy, maybe? Another thing I'm considering is simply to cut off a strips of fabric towards and parallel to the top of the back external pocket, then reinforce the cut with leather and/or stitching. This won't really change the functionality of the pocket and won't be too noticeable.

Or I could just tie a thin strip of leather--just like the zipper pulls--to the part of the handles below the leather attachment loops. That's what I'll probably end up trying. It's just easier.

Last edited:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bit messy, maybe? Another thing I'm considering is simply to cut off a strips of fabric towards and parallel to the top of the back external pocket, then reinforce the cut with leather and/or stitching. This won't really change the functionality of the pocket and won't be too noticeable.

Or I could just tie a thin strip of leather--just like the zipper pulls--to the part of the handles below the leather attachment loops. That's what I'll probably end up trying. It's just easier.
I was thinking the same thing but, rather, cut a straight line along the bottom of the back 'pocket' (on the outside), reinforce the cut edge with either heavy twill (less noticeable) or leather (might be too noticeable). That way, the trolly handles can run through through the bottom of the pocket and out through the top.

I hardly ever use the back pocket anyway and I think it could be an interesting look. I did cut out the inside divider of my 257 recently so I'm sure I can find enough heavy twill to do it and it might look kinda nice. (or at least be more functional).

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TinMan3, is that the “Heavyweight Waxed Work Vest” in dark tan and 11oz Chera canvas? Item 20122983 in the US website. This looks great in the catalog pic.

I tried on the 17oz Work Vest (the penultimate version of the one I just ordered) at the store and I could see some value in the 11oz version due to weight and initial stiffness of the 17oz version. In fact the even lighter, thinner 4.7oz “Dry Wax Work Vest” is also really appealing as mid-layer or for milder weather.
You are right. That one is 11oz. I will have to try on both when I visit the Filson in Naperville later this month for the grand opening!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While we are on vests ... does anyone have a older style hunting vest (#32) or similar in a large that they’d part with?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads