• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was just in London, and thought of y'all
UX7AnuJ.jpg

There are actually two Filson stores on the same street - this one with clothing, etc. and one dedicated to bags. Pretty cool.

I also picked up my second piece of Filson just before I started the trip I'm on (that started on the 10th of June - don't head home until July 5th...). This is what saved my ears and dome while I've been stomping all over the place:
gjs5fIW.jpg

It has served me pretty well already. This is the unlined model, so while it isn't super-cool, it ain't bad and was exactly what I hoped it would be. It's had quite a baptism...

Glad you are enjoying your time on these shores. Don’t be fooled - the weather is exceptional, not normal.
Good that the hat is working out. I find mine better for slightly cooler weather - a bit sweaty in these temperatures!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad you are enjoying your time on these shores. Don’t be fooled - the weather is exceptional, not normal.
Good that the hat is working out. I find mine better for slightly cooler weather - a bit sweaty in these temperatures!
It was a nice spring day for North Carolina, though the reduced presence of AC made things very slightly less comfortable.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Otter Green, the OG medium travel bag is getting the start on my Riviera Maya vacation this week! First time I’ve ever carried an OG bag and I’m liking it so far!

View attachment 997498
WOW! Tinman is part of Team d'OG now and likes it! Looking good. I too am loving my MTB and how much I can pack for 5 days (w/o packing cubes). I played Ice Hockey for 12 years (Goaltender) so it feels right at home on my shoulder, especially the way it carries.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To my eyes that pattern belongs on a large object like a blanket or coat rather than a Dopp.

I’ll bet there is a selvedge Dopp kit out there somewhere...;-)
Now that would be cool, wonder if Gustin has already thought of that.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can understand the sentiment. But you can take this to extreme levels. Have you ever packed shoes in a bag without a shoe bag? Well the soles of those shoes have been in intimate contact with the road or sidewalk. The one where I walk my dog. Your clothes are also in constant contact with the outside world too. Including that plane or train seat which hasn’t been disinfected in a while. And then you fold them and place them in your pristine Filson on your trip home.

If I buy something used, I would wipe it down with disinfectant wipes or alcohol spray. After that, it’s most likely to be cleaner (in terms of germs) than any bag you have bought and used since new.

Now that you put it that way, I understand how often overlooked that is. I also am one to not use hand sanitizer, as I dislike the chemicals used.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is something interesting - a 1950’s label. Note the moniker “Filson’s” rather than Filson.

View attachment 997945

From a listing for vintage Tin pants
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/183292380766

That is an amazing snippet from a brief moment in time. Thanks for sharing. If I had such a use for them, what an amazing honor that would be.

Saw that Pendleton Blanket you shared, waaaay too pricey for me, but thanks for the lookout

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for whoever shared that there was a sale on. Snagged a moleskin vest which I’ve been interested in getting for a while. Less than half price. Perfect for the 30 degree C / 85F weather we are currently experiencing.
Added bonus - the travel tray was cheaper than paying shipping and the slight extra cost made the shipping free!
Anyone got the vest? Like?

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for whoever shared that there was a sale on. Snagged a moleskin vest which I’ve been interested in getting for a while. Less than half price. Perfect for the 30 degree C / 85F weather we are currently experiencing.
Added bonus - the travel tray was cheaper than paying shipping and the slight extra cost made the shipping free!
Anyone got the vest? Like?
I LOVE the moleskin vests. A perfect medium for when it is too warm for wool, but you need a bit more than just a shirt. There is also just something about the soft cotton that is unique to Filson. Enjoy my friend!!

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New without tags Filson Pullman YKK Era (padless) in Otter Green. $400 with shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Filson-Pul...024587&hash=item3fa3e3a8e0:g:wI8AAOSwAspbOSaB

1980's Filson Leather Satchel for less than $515 (option to bid lower)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FILSON-Fie...808141?hash=item41e6212d0d:g:lUkAAOSwvshatoSe
Do you have any reason specifically to believe this is an 80’s bag? I know they made this same bag from the 90’s through a year ago, so outside of the padless strap it’s tough to date these.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I LOVE the moleskin vests. A perfect medium for when it is too warm for wool, but you need a bit more than just a shirt. There is also just something about the soft cotton that is unique to Filson. Enjoy my friend!!
Thank you -just what I wanted to hear :)

Toombs

Reaction score
Hey @TinMan3 either this is the 2nd Talon Dopp Kit that I've seen in my lifetime or this is the same chap you sold yours too. A missed opportunity in his description too, as he fails to mention the extreme rarity of these dinosaurs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/filson-rug...010842?hash=item3d6acfd69a:g:EdkAAOSwIDJbNUwu

View attachment 997426
For what it is worth - I have 2 Talon Tan Dopp Kits. I used them extensively when checked luggage and airports were much easier to deal with. They are wonderfully made, very heavy, and way too big for one bag carry on travel. Now my toiletries go in a featherweight, sil nylon bag.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have any reason specifically to believe this is an 80’s bag? I know they made this same bag from the 90’s through a year ago, so outside of the padless strap it’s tough to date these.

Since it's not part of the Rugged Twill Line, it most definitely is pre-1990. Filson did have certain other luggage items before Rugged Twill, the Leather Satchel was one of them. The listing description says it's from the 1980's too. They may not be from the 1930's, but they are at least circa 1970's or 1980's. I've been researching the subject and found that Filson at one point, before the 1990's featured it in a lighter chestnut brown leather (like the one below), then offered it in the darker brown we see today. Plus the older versions appear to have a triangular brass clasp connector, the newer ones are more square in shape. Even by look (and comparison alone) this is definitely not 1990's leather craftsmanship/patina.

satchel.jpeg

satchel a.PNG

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads