• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Yes I know exactly the problem...
When I use my 256 briefcase, I am not able to use the original leather straps since they are too long for me even though I adjusted it to the shortest. If I use the original leather straps, nearly the entire 256 falls under my hip when I wear it on my back lol
So I usually use my 230 leather straps on both 230 and 256 and it seems to be better.
By the way do you think of purchasing another filson? and does your tote look perfect to you?

I've heard of people cutting a new hole into the strap, higher up so it will sit higher on their body, so that's something you could try.
There are a few other configurations you can try too. I've done one which is a bit hard to describe but I'll try. You loosen the strap to the longest it will go and then run it through between the handles and put the pad ends tucked outside, and then you basically have two loops in the strap, one on either side of the handles, and I put my arms through those and wear the briefcase like a backpack.

As for me and Filson, I've had a few items over the years, and even though it totally fits with my philosophy of quality, heritage, and my current style of Americana/Workwear and minimalist military, I've basically decided that they're just too rugged and overkill for me, just impractical really. The prices are a little high, but very fair, and available on discount so that's not my issue. My problem is they're all overbuilt, too big and chunky and heavy. For example, I bought the dopp kitt... looks cool, got a good deal, and tried it twice and realized the bag itself is heavy, huge, and just totally overbuilt. I switched to a simple cloth zippered thing I got for free somewhere and am so much happier. I bought the 257 and got rid of it. Took me several steps to button the handle, then the flap, then unzipper it, then the zipper scratches my hands and computer every time, and the thing weighs a ton so even empty it's shoulder and back breaking. I once travelled with it, and never again. No strap to go on the suitcase, and standing around at the airport this thing breaks my shoulders. So it's a fun idea but in the end I'm more or less done with Filson. Just doesn't work for my lifestyle. I've not just got a backpack which frankly I hardly ever use (too small and too heavy even when empty), and a oil canvass tote which again I think I haven't even used yet and had for 6 months. I use a thin canvass bag instead and it folds into my pocket when it's empty. So yeah, funny turnaround I guess but in the end I've just realized that even though something is great, it doesn't mean it's great for me. I love their look, style, philosophy, etc (despite all the current issues people are complaining about), but I think it's just not my thing.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: 257, Master-Classter, I've never had a Filson briefcase. I have been tempted a few times, but I knew any design limitations (with respect to my own preferences) for something I used daily would eventually win out over any stylistic preferences.

The best bag I have every had was a slim black Tumi brief in standard ballistic nylon. I have tried a few work bags in the last couple of years: an Ernest Alexander waxed canvas, a Frost River waxed canvas, a Yuketen leather mailbag, an English bridle leather briefcase, but over time I kept returning to the old Tumi which was just lighter, easier to carry and better designed.

More recently, I got a full leather Libero Ferrero in a configuration not too dissimilar to the Filson 24-hour bag, but more structured due to the materials. So far, after a couple of months, like most things that 'just work', I use it without too much thought.

Ejirardo

Reaction score
Stopped into the Filson HQ in Seattle and picked up the Small Pullman this weekend. I have to say this is a great sized bag for short travel trips. Having used the Regular Pullman on a number of occasions and how heavy it could get, the Small Pullman is a great alternative. It easily fits 2 to 4 days or more worth of stuff and the size makes it much easier to carry. I'm looking forward to using this for a number of years.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ejirardo. I was curious about the small Pullman as I didn't find any online reviews. I have the long discontinued large carry-on 242 (on the right in the photo) which has similar dimensions hence my interest.

Last edited:

Ejirardo

Reaction score
Soletrane - The Large Carryon - 242 was the first filson travel bag I purchased years ago. It's a great bag but for some reason the style of the Pullman always reasonated with me so I sold the 242 and bought the Regular Pullman. The problem with the Regular Pullman is that it was bulky and even with just a few days of travel items it got heavy quickly, so I sold the Regular Pullman and bought the Large Twill Carryon.

I still use the Large Twill Carryon, but given that I really like the style of the Pullman, I ended up purchasing the Smaller version. I can see this as my go to bag now. I don't like the flap of the Large Twill Carryon but otherwise that is also a good bag.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The large carryon 242 Has the heavy double buckled flap which protects the bag agains rain and offers some protection against prying fingers if you cover where the zippers meet. It is also very solidly built. But since the handle is attached only to the flap, there is no support to the rest of the bag except through the two front buckles.

The large twill carryon has the strap mounts mounted on the end which makes for a better carry in my experience. And the bag rather than splitting in two equal halves is more like a suitcase with a wide portion to pack your clothes and the other portion acting the lid. But the button down flap is not well conceived at all, imo.

And the regular Pullman is often too large and heavy bag for most people to carry around. So in short, the small Pullman is probably the best of the 4 "clamshell" Filson travel bags, IMHO.

Last edited:

chris33hk

Reaction score
I've heard of people cutting a new hole into the strap, higher up so it will sit higher on their body, so that's something you could try.
There are a few other configurations you can try too. I've done one which is a bit hard to describe but I'll try. You loosen the strap to the longest it will go and then run it through between the handles and put the pad ends tucked outside, and then you basically have two loops in the strap, one on either side of the handles, and I put my arms through those and wear the briefcase like a backpack.

As for me and Filson, I've had a few items over the years, and even though it totally fits with my philosophy of quality, heritage, and my current style of Americana/Workwear and minimalist military, I've basically decided that they're just too rugged and overkill for me, just impractical really. The prices are a little high, but very fair, and available on discount so that's not my issue. My problem is they're all overbuilt, too big and chunky and heavy. For example, I bought the dopp kitt... looks cool, got a good deal, and tried it twice and realized the bag itself is heavy, huge, and just totally overbuilt. I switched to a simple cloth zippered thing I got for free somewhere and am so much happier. I bought the 257 and got rid of it. Took me several steps to button the handle, then the flap, then unzipper it, then the zipper scratches my hands and computer every time, and the thing weighs a ton so even empty it's shoulder and back breaking. I once travelled with it, and never again. No strap to go on the suitcase, and standing around at the airport this thing breaks my shoulders. So it's a fun idea but in the end I'm more or less done with Filson. Just doesn't work for my lifestyle. I've not just got a backpack which frankly I hardly ever use (too small and too heavy even when empty), and a oil canvass tote which again I think I haven't even used yet and had for 6 months. I use a thin canvass bag instead and it folds into my pocket when it's empty. So yeah, funny turnaround I guess but in the end I've just realized that even though something is great, it doesn't mean it's great for me. I love their look, style, philosophy, etc (despite all the current issues people are complaining about), but I think it's just not my thing.

Using the leather straps from my 230, the bag is already sitting very high though it still breaks my shoulder. I am obsessed with the vintage appearance after years of use of the filson bags and I really wanted to bring them out every single day. I agree that filson bags are fascinating but whether it is suitable for yourself is by all means the most important. Have you tried out the ones made by the light-weight cotton canvas? I'm considering to purchase a backpack but I am not sure if the backpacks in 13oz cotton canvas are still too heavy or not. Unfortunately since the stores selling filson bags in Hong Kong seem to be only selling the ones in 22oz rugged twill I do not have the chance to have a look at the actual product.

Anyways, I still want to stay with filson and I hope you can find your dream bag as soon as possible!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
chris33HK, I have the Meridian duffle in the 15-oz tin cloth. I think this is the same material as the tin cloth duffle line which have been around a while. The Meridian is large and the bag feels significantly lighter than any of the twill bags I have had - even though it also has a 6-oz cover cloth inner lining. Looking at the material, I suspect it will 'age' (or patinate) more quickly than the heavier twill since it's softer and the oil finish looks like it would absorb stains more readily than the dryer twill.

acousticfoodie

Reaction score
Recently bought a Navy 24 hour bag...I was under the impression it would be a buy it for life product like the 256/257...but now I see it's actually made of thinner less durable tin cloth vs Twill. :-( How long can I expect this to last? Do I need to baby it since it's not the thicker material? I usually try to fit my laptop, and several heavy books into it. Will the fabric be able to support this?

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even the 256/257 show tears or holes with heavy daily use for upward of a decade - just do a Google image search. So wear and tear is inevitable. I think Fildon can patch it up for for nominal fee and then you're good to go for another few years.

Last edited:

acousticfoodie

Reaction score

Even the 256/257 show tears or holes with heavy daily use for upward of a decade - just do a Google image search. So wear and tear is inevitable. I think Fildon can patch it up for for nominal fee and then you're good to go for another few years.

True. I do like the structure of the 24 HR a lot more than the 256/257. The refurbished Filson bags do look pretty neat, although I'm not sure how the navy will look after a decade of use. I suppose the 24 HR bag should still be durable enough for daily use.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Acousticfoodie, the layout of the 24 hour bag is close to perfect, imho. I have a leather briefcase from another manufacturer with a very similar layout and it works really, really well as a daily bag.

I would just use the 24 as much as possible and welcome the inevitable signs of use on the bag including any future patchwork by Filson when the time comes. I don't think people generally buy Filson bags to keep them pristine anyway!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gatormd- I have the 258 in otter. It's good and doesn't show dirt as quickly as my tan Pullman. But if you want the patina then tan is the way to go. It's also the classic Filson colour and goes with everything - dressed up or down. You also get better contrast against the leather. I suspect you'll like either and within a short time will be used to your choice. (As the Buddhists say - "choice is torment" :)

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted here 3 weeks ago looking for advice on medium vs large duffle.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/133759/filson-bag-thread-with-pictures/5610#post_8335156

Well, I went with large and am very happy indeed. I'm convinced I made the right choice - I think the medium would have been too small. Thanks Soletrane!

In the process of hunting down that I ended up also getting a medium field bag which I'm really pleased with ( although it's picking up indigo from my jeans. How do I clean it off...?). Pictured here for your enjoyment.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads